Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Companion  (Read 2986 times)

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Companion
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »

Companion
Action - (4)

+1 Card
+1 Action
If this is the first time you play a Companion this turn, name a card.
---
While this is in play, the card you named when you played the first Companion costs (1) less, but no less than (0).
-

So... it's pretty much a Peddler/Highway Variant which works quite well with "Workshop"-like cards and even better with "Remodel"-like cards (since the other cards keep their price). However, since only one card is cheaper, it's weaker than Peddler if you want to buy different cards. If you could gain Victory Cards with this, it definitely would be too strong, I think. (4) is not a high price, and only a few would be enough to make Provinces WAY too cheap.

Any thoughts?

PS: Oh, and Band of Misfits could be a lot of fun with this.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:12:43 pm by Eistee »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Companion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:57:21 pm »

Looks good. I like that it is a variant on peddler at 4 instead of a exact copy. It might be difficult in a draw engine to get the card you need because you don't know how much more coin you are getting.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:05:51 pm »

Hmm... out of curiosity, what would happen if I use King's Court or Throne Room on Companion. Do I get to name a card three times to get a reduction each time, or name three different cards to get a reduction on each? Or will it only count the last name I gave and only for 1 reduction?

Edit: Bah, been doing this a lot. Missed the first time played clause.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:33:49 pm by FishingVillage »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:36 pm »

Hmm... out of curiosity, what would happen if I use King's Court or Throne Room on Companion. Do I get to name a card three times to get a reduction each time, or name three different cards to get a reduction on each? Or will it only count the last name I gave and only for 1 reduction?

You will only get to lower one price by one coin. Compare Crossroads, which also has an "if this is the first time" clause. The repetitions caused by KC/TR/Procession count as the "second (and third) time" you're playing the card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:14:15 pm »

It says "first time you play" so you only name it on the first play.  The second and third play from TR/KC won't let you name a card.

You can simplify the wording:

If this is the first time you played a Companion this turn, name a card that is not a Victory card.  That card costs $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.

You don't need a "while this is in play" clause because you already limit it to the first play of the card, which is stricter.  It does change some edge cases (e.g. the price reduction will be retained even if it is trashed through Procession) but I think the simpler wording is worth it.

I don't think it's necessary to restrict to the first play though.  Why not just let it work on every play?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »

You name it only once, but each copy of the card reduced the price of named card. So, you can play 3 copies to reduce one card by 3, but not one card by 2 and other by 1.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:12 pm »

You name it only once, but each copy of the card reduced the price of named card. So, you can play 3 copies to reduce one card by 3, but not one card by 2 and other by 1.

Ah, I misread!  OK, then the original wording works just fine.

Eistee

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:33:40 pm »

It's not the first time you play a Companion if you Court it, so you don't get the bonus - compare it to Conspirator and Goons + KC.

The third Conspirator you play with KC activates the chain.

However, a KC'd Goons won't give you three VPs per card bought while it is in play.

So, if you KC' a Companion, you do the following.

1) +1 Card, +1 Action, name a card.
2) +1 Card, +1 Action
3) +1 Card, +1 Action

@eHalcyon
I wanted to avoid that wording because it would make games extremely confusing. Let's say you have seven Companions in play with that wording - remembering all the named cards would be extremely difficult.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:37:56 pm by Eistee »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:51:50 pm »

It's not the first time you play a Companion if you Court it, so you don't get the bonus - compare it to Conspirator and Goons + KC.

Actually the second play of Conspirator under a KC activates the chain: the KC itself counts for 1.

Eistee

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:53:04 pm »

Actually the second play of Conspirator under a KC activates the chain: the KC itself counts for 1.

Wow, how did I miss that. Of course you're right.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »

I think you should be able to name VP cards.

Eistee

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:57:58 pm »

I think you should be able to name VP cards.

Any opinions on this?

It might actually make the card better and more playable.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:08:19 pm »

Hmm ok, sorry about the confusion.

Assuming $4 is the ideal price for a vanilla money cantrip though, Companion seems to be a little weak by itself. Your Companions may only reduce the cost of 1 card for the rest of the turn, and the reduction can't apply to Victory cards. That seems rather limited. Even considering that a lot of Companions can be played, I doubt anyone would name more than 3 different Card types at once, particularly since Victory cards can't be named. I wouldn't mind being able to name a card per Companion, but okay.

As for fun things to do, TFB cards like Bishop and Apprentice would probably like working with Companion moreso than Highway. Reducing the costs of a specific card leaves other card costs normal, so they still get the full benefit out of trashing something else. Saboteur would probably like being able to skip over Silver to hit something more meaningful as well.

I think being able to name VP cards would be fine.

Eistee

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:25 pm »

Alright, changing Companion so that it can work with VPs. Really makes it a lot more playable.

Naming one card per Companion-Play would make it confusing with KC (and really strong), I think.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:13:38 pm by Eistee »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 03:29:57 pm »

It might be confusing, but it wouldn't be too strong.  You only get the strong Highway-type effect if you choose the same cards lots of times anyway.  The bigger problem is that it might be too close to Highway to be interesting (which is possibly a problem already).

Idle suggestion: what if it only worked on Victory cards, and you cut the naming business?  It can then enable megaturns, but loses a lot against Highway in that it can't help build your engine.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.