Author Topic: Castle  (Read 2211 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Castle
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:17:02 pm »
+1

An alternate idea I had for the contest (dual-type card). Totally different from what I submitted.

Castle - Action/Victory - $7
+1 Action
You may reveal an Action card from your hand. If you do, play this as if it were a copy of that card.
Otherwise, +1 Card.
--
2VP

Basically, an improved Nobles that's at least a cantrip and can duplicate other actions in your hand - sort of like a TR, except that you don't build up a big excess of Actions by duplicating a Village (although the guaranteed +Action ensures you can at least duplicate a terminal and then still play the original). Also, it doesn't stack the same way: two Castles let you play a single Action three times, rather than two Actions twice each. I didn't rule out revealing a Castle because I'm pretty sure it works out to the same net effect, but maybe I'm wrong?

The name, of course, is thematic: a castle is where you'd expect to find a Throne Room or a King's Court; and it's a grand residence, thus a victory card worth more than an Estate.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Castle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »
+1

I think as currently worded, 2 Castles could get you infinite actions. After you reveal a Castle, it goes back into your hand while the Castle you played acts like (a different) Castle. You could do this forever, each iteration getting you +1 Action.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:42:45 pm »

I think as currently worded, 2 Castles could get you infinite actions. After you reveal a Castle, it goes back into your hand while the Castle you played acts like (a different) Castle. You could do this forever, each iteration getting you +1 Action.
This is thematic.  With all those people shut up with nowhere to go, you'd have no shortage of people to order around.

This is assuming the castle is besieged, of course.  Also full of people, rather than cow heads and dead bodies or something.

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »

Hmm, I think you're right. So we just say "... Action card other than Castle", then, or is there another problem I've missed?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »

Hmm, I think you're right. So we just say "... Action card other than Castle", then, or is there another problem I've missed?

But the one you played can no longer be revealed...?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »
+1

But the one you played can no longer be revealed...?
It never leaves your hand, so you're always free to reveal it.  The Castle becomes a copy of your Castle, which becomes a copy of you Castle, which becomes...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 04:20:53 pm »

Got it now.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:59 pm »
+2

I like Throne Room variants. Example: You could play a Castle, revealing a Smithy to draw 3 cards, and then play that Smithy. Because you draw in the middle of this, you could use Castle to play the Smithy in order to draw a Village and then actually play the Smithy, this is better than Throne Room. In addition, it gets around the entire issue of drawing it without an Action because it turns into a cantrip when you can't want to use its Throne Room effect.
I think I would like to see this tested at $5 as an Action (nix the Victory points). The balance of the Victory cards that you need to win and Action and Treasure cards that you need in order to buy Victory cards is a delicate one, and I think the strength of this Action will be difficult to view while playing it as a Victory card too.

Quick clarification though: When Castle is played as a copy of a card, it takes on all processes of that card. For example: If that card is trashed when played (such as Feast) then Castle will be trashed instead, correct? Does Castle take on the name, types, or cost of that card or will it still be considered an Action card worth $5 named Castle? Furthermore, does Castle's "playing" another card count as 2 Actions towards Conspirator's activation, or is it only one?

Castle

+1 Action
You may reveal an Action card from your hand that is not a Castle.
If you do, play this as if it were a copy of that card. Otherwise: +1 Card.
$5 ACTION
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:44:58 pm »

According to me, "play this as" means you play one single card, that is the castle, but which has all the effects of the duplicated cards. So :
->I think you trash castle when you play it as a feast
->for conspirator's activation : no, as you play only one card.

But I love this card because first I wanted a card called "Castle" and I think, even without the VPs, the action fits perfectly well with the name, and second it avoids frustation of useless TR/KC.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:53 pm »

Just looked at the Secret History of Dark Ages... apparently there were several variants on TR tried out that touched on this design space. o_O
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.