Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Dark Ages combo ideas  (Read 22818 times)

yog-sothothry

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Dark Ages combo ideas
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:52:11 am »
+2

I have played a few games with the new set, and a few possible combos jumped out at me. I'm not at all sure how they will hold up on further play, but they seem interesting enough to see if people have any thoughts on them, or any thoughts on other combos suggested by the set. Okay, here goes:

Hunting ground/Bandit camp:

The big draw back of hunting ground as the basis for a draw engine is that, at a cost of 6$, it competes with the gold you need for to be drawing to buy provinces. Bandit camp solves this problem by providing a one shot gold everytime you play it, allowing you to build your draw engine without spending as many buys on money. I played this combo once and it worked quite well, but since the two cards are both expensive, it might turn out to be too slow on most boards. Still, might be worth looking out for.

Cultist/Urchin:

Urchin is already being slammed as a weak card (along with its grown up version mercenary) but it seems to fit in well with a cultist chain deck. The cultists make it easy to turn the Urchin into a Mercenary, and the Mercenary can thin your deck out to help make sure your cultists find each other and keep the chain going. Late game, the Mercenary can trash cultists for mega turns.

Death cart/ Squire:

This is more of an opening, I guess, then a combo per se. Opening Death cart and then Squire allows you to quickly get up to gold, grab some silvers, and if the death cart and squire collide then you get yourself an attack card. Of course, if you draw the death cart with none of your actions you are probably in trouble. I am interesting in seeing if Death Cart openings will end up being strong, but at first glance squire seems like nice support for it.

Okay, so that's what I've got. As I said, I've only played a few games with the set so far, and all of them have been Dark Ages cards only, so not sure how these interact with other sets. What do people think? Any of these have potential? And does anyone have any other potential combos to share?

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages combo ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:21:37 pm »

I've certainly thought about Squire/Death Cart; there's a lot more potential synergy going on there than just trashing Squire to Death Cart, but it's possible most of it just won't come up often enough given the lack of card draw, potential flooding of Silvers, and more Ruins in the deck.  How good the combo will be depends on how good the attack is.  You'll probably want some trashing that takes care of starting cards (aside from Necropolis).

I've also thought Procession + Catacombs with any decent $4.  Lots of potential there.
Stop reading my signature.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:06 pm »

Seems like death cart likes trashing actions. But what actions do you want to trash? How about a self-regenerating action that has an on-trash benefit? Death cart seems like it likes rats. There is some thematic continuity there, too, as an added bonus. Too bad they are both $4.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:29 am »
+1

What about Wandering Minstrel / Mystic / Your choice of terminal action ?

Roughly, Wandering Minstrel gives you +Actions, and puts your choice of Action card on top of your deck, for your Mystics to draw (effectively turning your Mystics into cantrip silvers that replace themself with your choice of action). The mystics don't use up the +Actions that the Wandering Minstrels gives, so you can spend them on some terminal action. Preferably something with some draw. Like Cultist / Witch, maybe?

Auto-Destruct Sequence

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:00 am »
+2

Deathcart/fortress

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:26:28 pm »
+2

Any village(including Fortress) + Bishop x2 + Fortress x2 = 6 VP a turn

could be a new kind of Golden Deck, one that doesn't require you to use your buy phase AT ALL.  And because it doesn't use the buy phase, you could set up a double-Tactician Golden Deck, like:

Tactician x2, Bishop x5, Any village x3, Fortress = 15 VP a turn? You can keep trashing the same Fortress in the same turn, right?

Even more should possible with KC. Am I missing something? Has this been discussed already?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:28:57 pm »

could be a new kind of Golden Deck, one that doesn't require you to use your buy phase AT ALL.  And because it doesn't use the buy phase, you could set up a double-Tactician Golden Deck, like:

Tactician x2, Bishop x5, Any village x3, Fortress = 15 VP a turn? You can keep trashing the same Fortress in the same turn, right?

Even more should possible with KC. Am I missing something? Has this been discussed already?

This works.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:33:07 pm »
+1

Seems like death cart likes trashing actions. But what actions do you want to trash? How about a self-regenerating action that has an on-trash benefit? Death cart seems like it likes rats. There is some thematic continuity there, too, as an added bonus. Too bad they are both $4.

You only need to buy one Rat!  The Rats will eat up the Treasures and Victory cards, then the Death Carts will eat the Rats, buying Duchies every time.  Deplete the Rats and Duchies this way.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:53:46 pm »

Actually you don't need 2 separate Fortresses.... just any Village, Fortress, Bishop x2. Like you mention later in your post, you can trash the same Fortress multiple times.

Think is though, the traditional Golden deck gets 5 VP per turn while quickly ending the game, and depriving your opponent of points from Provinces. What's the end-game plan with this new version? You get 6 VP per turn; the game never ends. You can't ever buy a Province (or anything); your opponent has a little time to build an awesome engine that can get all the Provinces and some points from Bishop.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:01:50 pm »

You can get into a never-ending game state if you build up more points than are on the board!

I agree the basic version suffers from that flaw. But if you were to set up some kind of Double Tactician multi-Bishop KC shenanigan you might get to the point of forcing a resign.

Fortress+Apprentice is another interesting application - 2 cards to get +4 cards, +1 action - +5 cards, +2 actions when you throw in playing the Fortress.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:14:09 pm »

You can get into a never-ending game state if you build up more points than are on the board!

I agree the basic version suffers from that flaw. But if you were to set up some kind of Double Tactician multi-Bishop KC shenanigan you might get to the point of forcing a resign.

Fortress+Apprentice is another interesting application - 2 cards to get +4 cards, +1 action - +5 cards, +2 actions when you throw in playing the Fortress.

You can end the game just buy out estates/coppers and silvers your playing 3 bishops you can trash the additional cards instead of fortress.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Tmwinand

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 04:15:43 pm »

I've played a few of the recommended sets of 10 and found some interesting combos!

Bandit Camp/Scavenger is useful to get the Spoils right on top of your deck.

Armory/Feodum/Rats for an instant 3 silvers

Wandering Minstrel/Scrying Pool helped draw my whole deck a turn.

Altar/Highway for instant Provinces.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 04:16:59 pm »

Ahh good someone else tried it how fast did you find you got double/triple province up?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 04:32:38 pm »
+1

Ahh good someone else tried it how fast did you find you got double/triple province up?

You can do that already with Workshop/etc (which I've done :D).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 04:36:05 pm »

Altar hits at 5, workshop hits at 3 thats a 2 highway/bridge slow down.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
+1

No...  at 4...  it's only 1 lower.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 04:40:43 pm »

No...  at 4...  it's only 1 lower.

Fair enough thats not too bad, my experience with altar was that I was so far ahead that I could afford to kill some of my provinces for more provinces to keep em coming (once I had 5)

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »
+2

Pure Speculation

Procession/Hunting Grounds

The problem with Procession is you don't want to play it on your valuable $5 actions and get nothing in return, so having a $6 action help that. Then you don't mind processing your Hunting Grounds late game to draw 8 (8!) cards and also gain a duchy.

yog-sothothry

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 11:37:50 pm »

I have played a few games where I went with feodum/rogue strategies, and they are a lot of fun (and seemed reasonably strong). The idea is to trash your feodum's repeatedly for the three silvers and then retrieve them from the trash with the rogues. Cycle and repeat, then start buying provinces when the concentration of silver in your deck gets high enough. This also works with Graverobber, and putting the feodum on your deck isn't even much of a disadvantage, since it gives you a chance to trash it again right away.

This strategy really takes off if you combine it with rats. The problem with rats is that if you play it too often the concentration of rats in your deck becomes unmanagable. When you trash a feodum, though, you add 4 cards to your deck, only one of which is rats, so you keep the purportion of rats more balanced. This lets you keep buying feodums and rogues, and not have to keep picking up trashers with your buys to keep the cycle going.

If anyone else has played/plays this strategy, I'd love to hear some thoughts on how it might be optimized. When should you stop trashing feodums, or start buying provinces or duchys, for example? Not sure how its best to do it, but its a lot of fun to play around with.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 02:54:42 am »

Rats/Watchtower

This is quite a decent opening, at least if you have some other trasher available to get rid of the surplus Rats cards. If you manage to draw them together, Rats is like a Lab that trashes a card (play Rats, trash the gained Rats with Watchtower, draw another card). Together with any TFB on the board that can handle the Rats you couldn't trash with Watchtower, this might work out well (you might want more than one Watchtower), but I still don't know if any of those Rats shenanigans in general are worth the effort...

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 10:58:34 am »

really
Rats is like a Lab that trashes a card (play Rats, trash the gained Rats with Watchtower, draw another card).

Have you played this? I've been very curious to know how it works out.

The part you didn't mention is that unless the card you draw from Rats is an Action card, it might not matter, because Watchtower could have drawn that card anyway. (I've started to suspect this is why WT's Action is what it is: it antisynergizes with cards-for-trashing to stop these interactions from potentially being overpowered.) Though of course if you would rather avoid playing WT as an Action, the bonus card is real; it might even be what allows you to have a good turn without playing the WT.

To put it another way, how does this compare with WT/Upgrade? Many times this will give the exact same results, but sometimes it also gives you shiny new topdecked Silver which Watchtower can immediately draw! And still it's not really a power combo in my mind. (Granted, of course, it's a $5 card and you can't play this as an opener.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:11:07 am by WheresMyElephant »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:10 am »
+3

Rebuild/Tunnel

Get a Rebuild as fast as possible.  Turn your starting Estates into Tunnels, and every time you play Rebuild, name Tunnel.  If the only Victory cards in your deck are Tunnels, Rebuild will cycle through your entire deck, hitting every last one of them, netting you a metric ton of Gold.  Once you're getting at least 3 Gold in hand per turn, start buying Provinces, maybe Rebuilding some of those Tunnels into Duchies.

P.S. Haven't tried this yet.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 11:28:55 am »

really
Rats is like a Lab that trashes a card (play Rats, trash the gained Rats with Watchtower, draw another card).

Have you played this? I've been very curious to know how it works out.

The part you didn't mention is that unless the card you draw from Rats is an Action card, it might not matter, because Watchtower could have drawn that card anyway. (I've started to suspect this is why WT's Action is what it is: it antisynergizes with cards-for-trashing to stop these interactions from potentially being overpowered.) Though of course if you would rather avoid playing WT as an Action, the bonus card is real; it might even be what allows you to have a good turn without playing the WT.

To put it another way, how does this compare with WT/Upgrade? Many times this will give the exact same results, but sometimes it also gives you shiny new topdecked Silver which Watchtower can immediately draw! And still it's not really a power combo in my mind. (Granted, of course, it's a $5 card and you can't play this as an opener.)
I have played it, but it's quite hard to say if it's worth it or not. Many times it's probably better to just ignore Rats.

As for the next part, you're right that it's the same in terms of the number of cards you end up in hand, but it still a bit different. Without the extra Rats card you would draw 3 cards terminally with Watchtower, with the extra card you only have a terminal draw of two (for an intial 5 cards hand) after the non-terminal carddraw of 1. That's probably also one difference to the Upgrade-Combo (plus Upgrade costs $5). The other major difference of course are the Rats you get when you don't have a Watchtower in hand. If there is a way to get rid of those for some benefit, it's possibly better, otherwise it's worse.

yog-sothothry

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 12:05:05 pm »
+3

Masquerade/market square:

This combo can get you a flood of gold very very quickly. You open masquerade and market square, then add a second masquerade and a second market square on the next reshuffle. Pick up a few more market squares as you go, then switch to buying provinces and using the +buys of the market squares to pick up duchy's or estates. What makes this combo so powerful is that the masquerade both allows you to trash cards and draw your market squares. Plus, the trashing means that even as your deck fills with gold you can still connect your market squares with you masquerades pretty reliably. I played this combo and it seems like it is very fast, as fast as most tunnel strategies with the added benefits of trashing and +buys.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 01:22:01 pm »

Pure Speculation

The problem with Procession is you don't want to play it on your valuable $5 actions and get nothing in return, so having a $6 action help that. Then you don't mind processing your Hunting Grounds late game to draw 8 (8!) cards and also gain a duchy.

I've done this one and it seems fairly effective. Also it works well with a decent $5 on the board. You get to play Procession on the $5 knowing you'll get to replace with with a Hunting Grounds, which you later trash to draw 8 and gain 3 points.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:17:18 pm by Jorbles »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 02:28:02 pm »

I just played this one on Goko and it seems pretty good: Tactician/Scavenger.  If you have 2 Tacticians, as long as you end up with the Scavenger in hand you can stick one on the deck for next turn.  Having two might even be overkill.  It's like Scheme/Tactician, I guess, but with the benefit of reshuffling your deck.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 12:24:02 am »
+1

Tunnel/Storeroom.  It even has +Buy built in!

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 09:52:59 am »

Black Market, Royal Seal, Tactician, Madman.

:)
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Dopey42

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 03:53:31 pm »

I have Played a couple of games now: tonight I played Junk Dealer/Fortress.

You can get rid of your shelters easily; and after buying a couple of gold it is easy to buy province.

It has to be said that it only works when (at the beginning) you also buy some estates and copper. The estates can be helpfull, not only for the trash, but  might give you the victory at the end of the game.

I wasn't completly satisfied with the way it turned out, but I think it might be a nice couple.

Any suggestions on this couple!

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 05:53:53 pm »
+2

Lookout/Fortress/Cultist

Very fun ! The lookout is a nice way to trash cultists when all ruins are gone, and after, you can trash fortresses so lookout becomes cantrip and don't hurt your deck anymore.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 01:18:04 pm »

Pure Speculation

I've done this one and it seems fairly effective. Also it works well with a decent $5 on the board. You get to play Procession on the $5 knowing you'll get to replace with with a Hunting Grounds, which you later trash to draw 8 and gain 3 points.

This works great in the Grim Parade setup (the first recommended all-Dark Ages setup in the instructions), which has Procession, Hunting Grounds, Fortress, and Cultist.  Procession a Fortress to get a Cultist, +3 Cards, and +5 Actions (after you play the Fortress post-Procession); Procession a Cultist to get a Hunting Grounds, +4 Cards, hand out Ruins twice, and get two chances to Cultist-chain; and Procession a Hunting Grounds to get +8 Cards and +3 VP.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:39 pm »

You mean +7 Cards for Procession-Cultist. (+3 when you trash it.)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 03:44:35 am »

This works great in the Grim Parade setup (the first recommended all-Dark Ages setup in the instructions), which has Procession, Hunting Grounds, Fortress, and Cultist.  Procession a Fortress to get a Cultist, +3 Cards, and +5 Actions (after you play the Fortress post-Procession); Procession a Cultist to get a Hunting Grounds, +4 Cards, hand out Ruins twice, and get two chances to Cultist-chain; and Procession a Hunting Grounds to get +8 Cards and +3 VP.

needs +buy tbh

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 08:28:31 am »

needs +buy tbh

grim Parade has Market Square as +buy. They give you even free golds with Procession

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »

needs +buy tbh

grim Parade has Market Square as +buy. They give you even free golds with Procession

I found that in Grim Parade most of our +buys game from Forager. Though Market Square is great in that set as well. While in the middle of a crazy Procession + Fortress + Cultist + Hunting Party thing, it's not too hard to discard the Market Square for Gold multiple times during 1 turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 07:03:03 pm »
+2

I played a game with Counterfeit, Bandit Camp, and Forager, and both Bandit Camp and Forager seemed to go well with Counterfeit. Counterfeit loves spoils, since you're just going to be returning them anyways, and Counterfeit also slims your deck down and allows you to play Bandit Camp more often and get more spoils. Forager, of course, feeds off the cards that counterfeit has trashed. I guess these are both pretty obvious.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 10:52:14 pm »
+1

Procession/Death Cart

+10$ and a free 5? Yes please.

Bad part is, if Procession is the only trashing available, those Ruins can add up fast.

Though you could just Procession the Ruins...but that would be slow.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 11:02:47 pm »

Procession/Death Cart

+10$ and a free 5? Yes please.

Bad part is, if Procession is the only trashing available, those Ruins can add up fast.

Though you could just Procession the Ruins...but that would be slow.

Death Cart itself is also a Ruins trasher.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 11:12:47 pm »

Oh duh :P I forgot that when you trash it you could still trash the Ruins.

Still, it is a combo I'm eager to try out.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 12:58:37 am »
+1

Masquerade/market square:

This combo can get you a flood of gold very very quickly. You open masquerade and market square, then add a second masquerade and a second market square on the next reshuffle. Pick up a few more market squares as you go, then switch to buying provinces and using the +buys of the market squares to pick up duchy's or estates. What makes this combo so powerful is that the masquerade both allows you to trash cards and draw your market squares. Plus, the trashing means that even as your deck fills with gold you can still connect your market squares with you masquerades pretty reliably. I played this combo and it seems like it is very fast, as fast as most tunnel strategies with the added benefits of trashing and +buys.

I tried this combo solo -- it is an absolute BEAST. Open Masquerade/Market Square, add one Market Square on the second reshuffle, and you're off to the races. 4 solitaire games, I hit 4 provinces in 12, 13, 14, and 14 turns, with a first province coming as early as turn 6.

I'm guessing it'd hold up pretty well to junking attacks, though perhaps not quite so well to discard attacks.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 01:14:50 am »

Since most of your income is coming from Market Squares, what kinds of cards should you get at $4 or $5 if they're available? I'm guessing things likeWarehouse, Caravan, and Market are preferred over Silvers. Should you get a second Masquerade?

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 11:12:47 am »

Yes, I think most cantrips will be better than Silver. Not sure about second Masquerade; the results I got are pretty darned fast, so I think I'd need a simulator to suss out the difference between the variations (1Masq/2MS, 2Masq/2MS, 2Masq/1MS, etc.)

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 11:13:08 pm »
+1

Grim Parade is a ludicrous (and yes, in a kind of awesome way) set. My opponents were rolling their eyes while I did my huge Procession/Fortress/(things I had got by Processioning Fortress in previous turns) chain. I really wanted it to be computerized to handle the huge action chain.

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 05:46:13 pm »
+1

Scout/scout.
Wait, I'm in the wrong thread.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »
+1

Scout/scout.

Insert obvious Robz humor.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:58 pm »
+6

Scout/scout.

Insert obvious Robz Robvious humor.

FTFY

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:42 pm »

Death Cart/Forager seems to play well, though I'm not sure if it's actually a combo. The main problem with this, though, is an unlucky turn 3 or 4 can wreck this deck.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 07:10:24 pm »
+2

Venescas

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2012, 03:07:12 pm »
+3

Alright, tested it out; Fortress + Bishop by itself is very, very strong. On the 4/3, buy Bishop and silver. Get a second Bishop over the first Fortress and start trashing Estates and Coppers. Alternate Fortress and Bishop buys until you have 4 Bishops and 4 Fortresses.

By turn 12 (give or take a turn due to shuffle luck), I have an 8-card deck that can churn 12vp per turn along with 6 provinces worth in points. As soon as I'm ahead, I can adjust the deck in one turn by Bishop-ing a Bishop to make 8vp a turn while draining any and all 3 or less cost cards. In essence, this could indeed be (and I would go as far as to say 'is') much stronger than the original golden deck of Bishop + Chapel.

NOTE: I tested this with the normal starting deck. With shelters however, I'd assume it would go a bit smoother since Necropolis can alleviate the possibility of the first two Bishops colliding, not to mention the +1 card gained from Overgrown Estate. Buying the Estate on $2 with Hovel wouldn't hurt here since you're not going to buy Provinces or Duchies anyway, and you can trash the Estate for an extra point.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:29:22 pm by Venescas »

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2012, 06:34:08 pm »

An obvious one, but I managed to do Mercenary + Fortress in a IRL 4p game. I nearly trashed myself out of the game since I was running 2 Mercenaries and bought a Mint, then fed the Mint to one of the Mercenaries immediately next turn. Yes that made me feel very smart.

But Mercenary + Fortress is great! I was able to draw the Fortresses together most of the time, so I wouldn't draw dead most of the time.

I didn't get a chance to try this, but in another IRL game I was watching, Beggar and Urchin/Mercenary were in the same game. It would certainly work better if there were a village to use them both at the same time, but feeding the Coppers from Beggar to Mercenary seems like a good idea.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2012, 06:28:29 pm »

Crossposting from the "How to make Scout better" thread:

What about Adventurer/Counterfeit? They both love trashing Copper and, later, even trashing Silver. You can prioritize Adventurer over Gold early, supposing you're content to keep doing this Counterfeit+Copper thing for a while: it'll help you cycle and hit the combo more, so the Adventurer doesn't conflict with Gold as much as usual.

And hey if you wind up a little low on Treasure later (always the Achilles' heel of Counterfeit) it's okay: Adventurer will still scrounge up your last Gold or two. As a bonus, you have +Buy so that whenever your Adventurer gives +$5 it isn't wasted.

Full disclosure: I habitually overestimate Counterfeit. But this does look fun: they seem to cover each other's weaknesses in a pretty way.

Thorhauge

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 04:19:46 am »

I had a game where Procession, Fortress and Catacombs all showed up in the same game. Drew my deck all game every turn and because of the card dynamics I gained more engine cards than victory cards each turn - meaning that I never got clogged up.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2012, 08:50:03 pm »

Speaking of Counterfeit, I have to think it would partner nicely with Goons.  Goons encourages buying more Coppers and Counterfeit trashes them, at a benefit, with an extra buy and without costing an action.  I haven't had the chance to combine to two cards yet, but it seems like a good match.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 03:27:03 am »

Speaking of Counterfeit, I have to think it would partner nicely with Goons.  Goons encourages buying more Coppers and Counterfeit trashes them, at a benefit, with an extra buy and without costing an action.  I haven't had the chance to combine to two cards yet, but it seems like a good match.

I doubt this would be better than loan-goons. The main power for counterfeit is playing twice silver, gold or platinium, not copper.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 03:39:58 am »

I haven't really played with Counterfeit yet, but I kind of see it as a better Moneylender in the early game and a Salvager that only works on Treasure in the late game. Does its price mean it's worse than Moneylender for Copper-trashing?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 04:00:43 am »

It costs more, but it also gives +buy and is nonterminal/can't be drawn dead, both of which can really help when you're sort of in the middle of building an engine. So it depends.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.