Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Soo... Which expansion should I get.  (Read 17740 times)

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Soo... Which expansion should I get.
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 01:07:55 am »

I think scout jokes have replaced Goko/Isotropic's demise as the thing that every thread will end up being about...

Has Donald admitted anywhere that the card just kind of sucks?

More or less, yes:

Scout however is one of the five cards I added to Intrigue when it turned out they wanted 25-card expansions rather than 20-card ones. It did not previously exist; I made it specifically to go with the victory cards in Intrigue.

Scout tends to be weak outside of all-Intrigue games and well you get better at these things as you go along. Crossroads is not weak outside of all-Hinterlands games; there you go.

I still think Thief is weaker, to be honest- though I admit that is partially because of my bias toward 2p and engine games, and a general allergy towards ranking non-terminals last, no matter how ineffective.  I've heard tales of Thief being useful in multiplayer but have never witnessed it myself- the canonical counterexample I give was a 3p game where both my opponents bought Thief, I went Vault-BM, and won big (6 Provinces to less) despite losing four Golds.

In addition to the Intrigue combos, Scout can sometimes be useful with Alchemy, too: Scrying Pool and Vineyard in particular are good partners.  But that's more or less it.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 01:16:20 am »

@Beyond Awesome

Regarding your beginners points. I'm hoping that I'll be able to teach some people to play pretty well. Winning is fun, but beating the crap out of newbs just makes you feel like a dick after a while...

Oh well. I think I'm going to actually go there, settle in, and then order Dominion. Shocking, I know. Haha. Of course I'm leaving to live on the other side of the country and the thing I'm most focused on is "what board games do I need?"  ::)

I think scout jokes have replaced Goko/Isotropic's demise as the thing that every thread will end up being about...

Has Donald admitted anywhere that the card just kind of sucks?

More or less, yes:

Scout however is one of the five cards I added to Intrigue when it turned out they wanted 25-card expansions rather than 20-card ones. It did not previously exist; I made it specifically to go with the victory cards in Intrigue.

Scout tends to be weak outside of all-Intrigue games and well you get better at these things as you go along. Crossroads is not weak outside of all-Hinterlands games; there you go.

I still think Thief is weaker, to be honest- though I admit that is partially because of my bias toward 2p and engine games, and a general allergy towards ranking non-terminals last, no matter how ineffective.  I've heard tales of Thief being useful in multiplayer but have never witnessed it myself- the canonical counterexample I give was a 3p game where both my opponents bought Thief, I went Vault-BM, and won big (6 Provinces to less) despite losing four Golds.

In addition to the Intrigue combos, Scout can sometimes be useful with Alchemy, too: Scrying Pool and Vineyard in particular are good partners.  But that's more or less it.

I don't know... I just played 2p against my stupid little iTouch app and cherry-picked a set such that I trashed all of his treasure with throne room-thief-spy shenanigans. Of course I could have just won some other way too...

The reason AIs are good to have is that you don't feel like a dick screwing with them like this

Seriously though, I think thief generally sucks, but having it on the board can be a disincentive to heavy trashing, treasure-based strategies. Although I feel like heavy trashing probably favors engines anyway.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 10:18:05 am »

Something that helps the Saboteur/Torturer thing is to do a veto for each player similar to isotropic.  I therefore rarely play with those cards because they end up being vetoed.

As for the choice cards, IMO they are easier to keep track of than durations in seaside. I think intrigue is a good choice.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 12:51:32 pm »
+1

Scout/Crossroads is actually a pretty decent combo, especially if you're going for alt VP.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 01:02:06 pm »

Scout/Crossroads is actually a pretty decent combo, especially if you're going for alt VP.

I know there are scout combos, I've just never been able to pull one off (I don't think I've even gotten the combo cards in the same game), and if I get intrigue I might have a chance to win with scout!
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 12:11:17 am »
+1

I know there are scout combos, I've just never been able to pull one off (I don't think I've even gotten the combo cards in the same game), and if I get intrigue I might have a chance to win with scout!

I mean, even Scout/Baron has some merit.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 01:02:02 am »
+2

No idea why there is so much hate for Intrigue in this thread.  I think it is a good set and would fit in perfectly with what the OP is looking for.  It can be played standalone, it isn't too daunting for newbies and it slots in nicely with what his sister owns. 

Every criticism of Intrigue could be levelled equally hard at Hinterlands.  Torturer chains can be annoying, but they aren't as soul destroying as IGG games.  Saboteur is terrible, but Hinterlands probably has a higher density of toilet with Duchess, Mandarin and Develop.     People knock Wishing Well and Great Hall, but to be honest I have actually found those two cards to be favourites with new players when I introduce them to the game.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:09:25 am by Piemaster »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.593 seconds with 21 queries.