Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Urchin spamming  (Read 3875 times)

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
Urchin spamming
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:41:14 pm »

I am really bored of people talking about how crap Goko is. Do you guys honk that Urchin spamming is a good idea? Maybe using the Mercenaries to trash Squires?

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
Re: Urchin spamming
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:41:36 pm »
+2

"honk" is London for "think"

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 05:52:10 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:48:15 am by () | (_) ^/ »

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:06:39 pm »

I think it would be dangerous to get too many Mercenaries in your deck. If you are not trashing 2 cards, then it's just taking up space. Useful when it is activated though.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:26:40 pm »

I think that in general, it's going to be quite weak. I mean, by themselves, it's going to take a while before you can get the collision you need. Even if you luck out and get it first reshuffle, you don't have any economy built up, and you don't have this endless supply of cards to trash from your deck before you start trashing stuff you don't want to. But in the right set-up, might be ok.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:20:48 pm »

I am pretty sure that Urchin spamming is a terrible idea in general. One or two may be nice, especially when much junk is floating around (that Merchants can get rid of).

But too many more will just drown you in Mercenaries you can't use (or fairly weak Urchins) - either because you lack actions or cards to trash.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:32:37 pm »

MERC ALL THE RATS!

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »
+2

MERC ALL THE RATS!

Then your hired sword becomes disgruntled, thinking, "How did I go from soldier of fortune to ******* rat-catcher??"
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

platykurtic

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 07:31:43 pm »

It's certainly better than treasure map though, since you can usually get two on the first two turns, and the cantrip effect increases the odds of them colliding a bit. Someone fresher on their math can figure out the actual probabilities. Plus the urchins themselves aren't dead cards, they replace themselves and do a minor attack. Warehouse, tactician, and the like can accelerate the collision, but trashing is counterproductive to actually using the mercenary

Whether the reward is worth the risk depends on what's in the kingdom. If there's no other trashers on the board then getting you junk trashed is a huge benefit by itself. Mercenary is militia + steward with all three options, or like masquerade + militia + more, so it should thin your deck without slowing you down better than anything else. Cursers will keep your mercenary viable for longer. Even if you only get to use it 3 or 4 times, you've now got the trimmest deck, while everyone else has been militia'd a bunch, which should more than make up for whatever they opened with that was better than urchin.

I suspect I'd go double urchin with warehouse, cellar, or scheme on the board given no other good trashers. Also, as a swingy opening it's always good when you're already behind, like second player with 4-3 vs. first player with 5-2 and witch on the board.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:33:56 pm by platykurtic »

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 10:35:40 pm »

While considering this I've realised that using Mercenaries to trash will be slower than you may think. If you're under fire from your opponents Urchin/Mercenaries your trashing will be made more difficult. A discard down to 4 is a very weak attack, but if you've got your mercenary in hand when it's played - what do you do? If you discard your worst card you'll have to trash something better with the merc, so you have to discard something you want to keep in the long run thus tanking your next hand.

That said; +$2 & +2 cards is quite strong so it's probably worth it still.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.