Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages on Iso a Possibility?  (Read 30659 times)

Jedit

• Scout
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages on Iso a Possibility?
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 08:27:35 am »
+2

*raises hand*

I'm more likely to buy Goko because DA is not on isotropic. Not at the ridiculous 75$, but still more likely to buy it.

DXV is right: holding back DA from isotropic is good economic sense for Goko/RGG

Both you and Donald have missed one fundamental point: Isotropic is not in competition with Goko.  By the time DA is available to buy on Goko, there will be no Isotropic and therefore DA will not be on it. 

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2012, 03:01:46 am »

*raises hand*

I'm more likely to buy Goko because DA is not on isotropic. Not at the ridiculous 75$, but still more likely to buy it.

DXV is right: holding back DA from isotropic is good economic sense for Goko/RGG

Both you and Donald have missed one fundamental point: Isotropic is not in competition with Goko.  By the time DA is available to buy on Goko, there will be no Isotropic and therefore DA will not be on it.

I think the idea is that there will be pent-up demand. Like, maybe there would be people who have there fill of Dark Ages on isotropic over the next few weeks, such that they're no longer willing to pay when it switches to isotropic. Or maybe I'll be so Dark Ages starved that I'll pay whatever goko wants just to get to try it.

Jedit

• Scout
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2012, 04:19:09 am »

I think the idea is that there will be pent-up demand. Like, maybe there would be people who have there fill of Dark Ages on isotropic over the next few weeks, such that they're no longer willing to pay when it switches to isotropic. Or maybe I'll be so Dark Ages starved that I'll pay whatever goko wants just to get to try it.

I know what the idea is.  On the other hand, by the same logic there will be no pent-up demand for anything but Dark Ages because we've had the chance to play all the other expansions to death.  That would be a reasonable thing to say if Dominion expansions were completely self-contained, but they're not; quite the reverse, they're designed for mix-and-match gameplay.  The only way people are going to get bored of Dark Ages in a few weeks is if it is a bad set that doesn't interact well with the others.

How Bazaar

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2012, 02:45:31 pm »
+2

Really, goko may have just killed my interest in Dominion.  The cards for Dark Ages looked fun, but I still haven't made an effort to buy the actual box because I haven't been enjoying them on iso.  I'll probably just skip it and end up quitting Dominion once iso goes down.

Nighteyes5678

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2012, 08:35:29 pm »
+1

Really, goko may have just killed my interest in Dominion.  The cards for Dark Ages looked fun, but I still haven't made an effort to buy the actual box because I haven't been enjoying them on iso.  I'll probably just skip it and end up quitting Dominion once iso goes down.

So, I don't want to pick on the fine user above, but this post was the most recent that illustrates a point of confusion.

What's the point of posting this? You know the following things about life: 1) A post here isn't going to change the game design. 2) The game's developer browses this forum.

All that a post like this is doing is kicking someone who made a wonderful product because of something out of his control. Do you really think that's a way to get anything good? At best, Donald will have the good sense and fortitude to be able to ignore the post (this kind of thing is hard for us creative types to ignore properly). At worst, it lessens his desire to make another awesome product for us to enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:36:47 pm by Nighteyes5678 »

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 03:32:56 am »

So, I don't want to pick on the fine user above, but this post was the most recent that illustrates a point of confusion.

What's the point of posting this?  ...

Also, buy the actual box. Dark Ages is awesome. Just wish I was in the goko beta so I could play them more often.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 10:52:43 am »

What's the point of posting this?

I felt somewhat similarly at one point, so I'll take a stab at it.  Presumably, if enough people make posts to that effect, that's pressure on Goko to straighten up and fly right.  People bailing on their flagship game due mainly to their implementation ain't the best for business.  Heck, I've heard rumors that they've been fixing some of the stuff we've been griping about, even. 

If nothing else, though, it's a way to vent.  Maybe it's melodramatic, but having a strong interest suddenly killed by shenanigans IS pretty upsetting, so there's only so much I can fault somebody for venting that frustration even if there's not much "point."  Had I decided to give up on Goko, I would've probably made a similar post just out of frustration.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 11:06:00 am »
+1

I'm a little confused as to how something that Goko does with its online implementation can kill an interest in Dominion. Even if Goko churned out the worst Zynga-style game with horrible overlapping hit areas and hard-to-read text, I would still love Dominion. I just wouldn't love it on Goko. If all it takes is an implementation that you disagree with, then I have to doubt your interest in Dominion.

But I suppose there are people out there whose interest in a game are that tenuous. I just cannot fathom it.
A man has no signature

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 11:14:08 am »

There is also people who have never played on Iso and refuse to because they want an official implementation. I have one such friend who loves dominion but won't play on Iso or anything because it's not official, he wants an official app on his iPhone.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2012, 02:28:33 pm »

Kuildeus, the point is looking at it from Goko's perspective, where they don't much care if people are playing Dominion but not using their app. Tombolo was talking about people losing interest in the Goko version specifically.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »

Kuildeus, the point is looking at it from Goko's perspective, where they don't much care if people are playing Dominion but not using their app. Tombolo was talking about people losing interest in the Goko version specifically.

Tombolo may have been, but I was referring to this message that does say that the person will probably give up Dominion entirely:

A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2012, 03:29:34 pm »

There is also people who have never played on Iso and refuse to because they want an official implementation. I have one such friend who loves dominion but won't play on Iso or anything because it's not official, he wants an official app on his iPhone.

Typical Apple-buyer snob, IMHO.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »
+2

Did you tell him that iso is official?  I mean, it was used to test the damn game, it doesn't get more official than that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2012, 04:02:21 pm »
+1

I'm a little confused as to how something that Goko does with its online implementation can kill an interest in Dominion.

This is a joke right?

If it's not, I hate to tell you this but isotropic is being shut down because of Goko. Sorry to be the one to bring the bad news :(

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2012, 04:13:10 pm »

I'm a little confused as to how something that Goko does with its online implementation can kill an interest in Dominion.

This is a joke right?

If it's not, I hate to tell you this but isotropic is being shut down because of Goko. Sorry to be the one to bring the bad news :(

I'm aware of Isotropic shutting down. What I'm not grasping is how someone else can dictate your interest in Dominion.

I like Dominion. I like playing it with my friends. I like killing time with Andorominion when standing in line. I have enjoyed the few times I played it on Isotropic. If those things go away, I'll still like Dominion. Granted, if I don't have friends to play with, then I'll be hosed, but I still have an interest in Dominion.

Even if Donald X. releases a horrible expansion, it still won't kill my interest in Dominion. I just won't be interested in that part of the game.
A man has no signature

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2012, 04:14:42 pm »

That's cool that you like those things about Dominion. Now imagine someone else who likes other things about Dominion. Specifically (to save us both time), imagine someone who likes the isotropic part of Dominion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2012, 05:18:10 pm »

That's cool that you like those things about Dominion. Now imagine someone else who likes other things about Dominion. Specifically (to save us both time), imagine someone who likes the isotropic part of Dominion.

I suppose. I still can't see how someone can lose interest in the game itself. The game doesn't change--just the medium. I've heard of people using chips instead of cards. It's different, and I probably wouldn't like it. It still wouldn't make me lose interest in the game.

I can see where you're coming from; I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of claiming to enjoy the game only as long as it's on Isotropic. It sounds like hyperbole to me, but I'll accept that such a thing is possible.
A man has no signature

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »
+2

I was somewhere between the two, honestly.  Goko couldn't KILL my interest in the entire game, but it could cripple it.  I only have two real life friends who play (well, plus a forumer who lives near me that wants to play sometime), and nobody else that I can talk into it, so if we assume for the sake of argument that Goko turns out to be an unplayable mess, Dominion will go from something I play a few times a day (and discuss a bunch online) to something I play...maybe one night out of the month when schedules actually align properly.  It's hard to stay interested in something I can't play.  Heck, I couldn't even tell you what half the Dark Ages cards do, for that exact reason. (finally get to try it Friday :D)
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

How Bazaar

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2012, 01:00:42 pm »
+1

I'll elaborate.  I have all boxes and promos except for DA.  I love 2-player dominion.  Iso is the best version of 2-player Dominion.  I have played the card version of Hinterlands maybe a handful of times, but it doesn't feel like a waste of money because I play on iso so much during downtime throughout my day.  If Dark Ages was on iso, I probably would have already bought the box, but as I'm not interested in the goko version, I will probably not end up buying the box because I'm not going to get enough play out of it.  When I get together with people to play games, we usually play other things that are more fun/interactive for 3-5 people.  Hope that helps.  I'm just one customer sharing my POV.  That's all.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »

Hate macs, love my iPhone, but have an android tablet.

How's that fit into your apple buyer snob philosophy? :P
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2012, 01:17:13 pm »
+2

Hate macs, love my iPhone, but have an android tablet.

How's that fit into your apple buyer snob philosophy? :P

Selective Apple snob.  Maybe a touch of Hipster.  Apple is too mainstream now, so it's time to slowly distance yourself... ;)

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2012, 10:37:44 am »

I suppose. I still can't see how someone can lose interest in the game itself. The game doesn't change--just the medium. I've heard of people using chips instead of cards. It's different, and I probably wouldn't like it. It still wouldn't make me lose interest in the game.

I can see where you're coming from; I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of claiming to enjoy the game only as long as it's on Isotropic. It sounds like hyperbole to me, but I'll accept that such a thing is possible.

Hey look, I'm taking away your pinball machine. But I'll give you the cardgame version of it. You can do all the same things with all the same rules, you just need your whole living room floor to do it and calculate the physics yourself and it happens at 1/10,000th the speed. What are you complaining about? Implementation doesn't matter.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2012, 10:53:29 am »
+1

Hey look, I'm taking away your pinball machine. But I'll give you the cardgame version of it. You can do all the same things with all the same rules, you just need your whole living room floor to do it and calculate the physics yourself and it happens at 1/10,000th the speed. What are you complaining about? Implementation doesn't matter.

I take it you've never played Solitaire with real cards, then.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2012, 11:01:48 am »

Sure I have? I even prefer it. Solitaire is a simple enough game that the satisfaction of handling real cards is worth the slight increase in micromanagement.

While we're making random guesses about each other, I bet you've never eaten a green-frosted donut.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2012, 12:01:28 pm »

I have, and it's awful.  But it doesn't really have a social aspect, now does it?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 1.79 seconds with 21 queries.