Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Want to try: Beggar/Gardens  (Read 3304 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Want to try: Beggar/Gardens
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:19:40 am »
+1

Given Beggar's ability to both give you +$3 this turn AND flood your deck with Copper, I'd really like to try it out in a Gardens game.  If you opened Beggar/Beggar, I'm pretty sure you could quickly run out the Beggar, Gardens and Duchy piles (maybe Copper, who knows).  Anyone want to try this for me while I wait for my copy to arrive?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: Want to try: Beggar/Gardens
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:08 am »

Want to try: Forager/Noble Brigand.  ;D

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:53:01 pm »

I had a game where I won by using Beggar and Store Room to rush Gardens. It was especially effective because my opponents kept playing Urchins.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

Want to try: Forager/Noble BrigandCounterfeit.  ;D

Fixed this for you. And I know those cards are fun to play together!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:55 pm »
+1

I had a game where I won by using Beggar and Store Room to rush Gardens. It was especially effective because my opponents kept playing Urchins.

I presume there was a Village, so you could use Beggar to increase your handsize, and Storeroom to replace the Coppers with better cards?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:08:35 pm »

I have played a Beggar/Gardens game (with Scheme to play them consistently).  It seems pretty great, especially since it virtually guarantees you a $4 hand in addition to adding 3 cards.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:09:52 pm »

Want to try: Forager/Noble BrigandCounterfeit.  ;D

Fixed this for you. And I know those cards are fun to play together!

You are right, I always forget NB steals, doesn't actually trash. Well, Thief than, I guess. But CF too.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:18:15 pm »

I presume there was a Village, so you could use Beggar to increase your handsize, and Storeroom to replace the Coppers with better cards?

I can see how some draw might be useful but It's not really necessary. Either you have a full hand and you hit $4 with your Store Room for sure or your opponents have played Urchins, in which case you hit $4 as long as you draw a silver, which you probably will because the urchins keep activating your Beggars' reaction ability. Once the Mercenaries started coming out it was a little harder, but by that point I had so much silver it hardly mattered. I think this rush would be similarly resistant to other attacks except maybe multiple Cutpurses.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »
+1

I can see how some draw might be useful but It's not really necessary. Either you have a full hand and you hit $4 with your Store Room for sure or your opponents have played Urchins, in which case you hit $4 as long as you draw a silver, which you probably will because the urchins keep activating your Beggars' reaction ability. Once the Mercenaries started coming out it was a little harder, but by that point I had so much silver it hardly mattered. I think this rush would be similarly resistant to other attacks except maybe multiple Cutpurses.

Discard a Copper to gain a Silver next turn?  Cutpurse SUCKS against Beggar.  But Thief variants are pretty damn good against Beggar, particularly Pirate Ship.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.739 seconds with 21 queries.