Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dark Ages is the most thematic expansion?  (Read 8701 times)

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Dark Ages is the most thematic expansion?
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:43:58 am »
+4

Hermits go mad in the woods. Rats eat everything and breed unstoppably. Urchins live the hard life and grow up to be toughened mercenaries. Knights duel to the death. Mauraders ruin your opposing kingdoms and bring back spoils.

It's all a lot more thematically vivid that usual :D

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages is the most thematic expansion?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:56:20 am »

Cultists band together and are sacrificed. Squires grow up to be warriors (or Ambassadors) for your kingdom. Rogues steal, but can fight like a Knight if necessary. Fortresses can repel Knights, Saboteurs, and Rats.
I love the work Donald X. Puts into this.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 03:04:54 am »

We also have the references to base with the ruined versions of cards, and we also have Pillage showing the people Pillaging Village. It is a very flavorful expansion, that is for sure.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:38:25 am »
+1

So, not only is Dominion a great game because of its mechanic, it now has theme?

BGG #1, here we come!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Zakharov

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:50:16 am »

There's a bunch of subtle ones, too. Counts and Dukes are best buddies. A Procession of Cultists is really strong. A Fortress can defend you from Knights.

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 10:41:50 am »

There's no doubt about it.  I love how all of the cards are both thematic to "Dark Ages" AND seem to do exactly what their name would suggest.  (See examples above, with Rats being my favorite.)  Awesome development on this set!  Hide the women, children, and newbs!  This set looks insane!     

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:46:34 am by Wolphmaniac »

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »
+2

Also, another nice, subtle one: Poor House gives you coins, which seems to be very strange, but the negative effect encourages you... to be poor.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »
+2

I'm not seeing how a Wandering Minstrel gives you Actions.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »

I'm assuming it's a nod to the bard class from Dungeons & Dragons. Bards use their music for magical effects.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:26:23 pm »

I'm assuming it's a nod to the bard class from Dungeons & Dragons. Bards use their music for magical effects.

Bard, the awesomewest class ever.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:35:11 am »

Yeah, I really don't understand why it is a village !!

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »

Thematically, villages give actions because there are people in the village to help perform more actions. A wandering minstrel is a group of people (or more precisely, bards). Thus, more actions.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 01:37:01 pm »
+2

Thematically, villages give actions because there are people in the village to help perform more actions. A wandering minstrel is a group of people (or more precisely, bards). Thus, more actions.

No, a Wandering Minstrel is one person.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 01:46:33 pm »
+3

Well he's like the pied piper. He gets all the kids to follow him, and then those kids do things for you.

It's true that the flavor for "+2 actions" that most such cards use is, there are people doing things for you. Often a whole village of people, but sometimes just some nobles. Squire and Wandering Minstrel don't fit that. Squire at one point was in part a village that only played attacks, and Wandering Minstrel at one point was a card that made +$2, and they kept their flavor when those parts changed.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2130
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 02:03:58 pm »

That explains Nobles (they tell people what to do because they're in charge), and Dame Molly must be one rousing young lady.

I'm still unsure of what to think that implies for Trusty Steed, Necropolis and Madman though. Dark Ages are upon us indeed.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 02:27:21 pm »
+2

Well he's like the pied piper. He gets all the kids to follow him, and then those kids do things for you.

It's true that the flavor for "+2 actions" that most such cards use is, there are people doing things for you. Often a whole village of people, but sometimes just some nobles. Squire and Wandering Minstrel don't fit that. Squire at one point was in part a village that only played attacks, and Wandering Minstrel at one point was a card that made +$2, and they kept their flavor when those parts changed.

I don't think I was alone in thinking that a Pied Piper card would interact with Rats in some way.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 02:31:36 pm »
+2

That explains Nobles (they tell people what to do because they're in charge), and Dame Molly must be one rousing young lady.

I'm still unsure of what to think that implies for Trusty Steed, Necropolis and Madman though. Dark Ages are upon us indeed.
The Trusty Steed carries you all over, letting you get stuff done. The Necropolis is a place people are living after their village gets destroyed, as you can see in the art; it fits the normal village premise fine. The Madman has a burst of activity on his way out.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »
+1

I don't think I was alone in thinking that a Pied Piper card would interact with Rats in some way.
Well he digs for them. He gets non-actions out of the way so you can draw your Rats faster.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »

The Trusty Steed carries you all over, letting you get stuff done. The Necropolis is a place people are living after their village gets destroyed, as you can see in the art; it fits the normal village premise fine. The Madman has a burst of activity on his way out.

It always makes me smile when people (even you DXV) wiggle to try to make the theme of Dominion work.  No offense to any of you in the least, but it is too much of a stretch for me.

Luckily, I don't really care about theme at all.  DXV, if you had made this game as "Toilet Wars" instead, I would still be as into it as I am now.  It rocks. =)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.955 seconds with 21 queries.