Poll

Knights vs Rogues!

Knights
- 13 (41.9%)
Rogues
- 18 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Knights vs Rogues!  (Read 4242 times)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Knights vs Rogues!
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:55:56 pm »
+1

OK, so we have a "rate the knights" poll, so I figured I'd make a "Knights vs Rogues" topic!

Rogue
 $5
 +$2
 If there are any cards in the trash costing from $3 to $6, gain one of them. Otherwise, each other player reveals then discards the top 2 cards of his deck, and trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6.
  Action — Attack

Knight: (each has a unique name)
 $5 (except for one of them)
 (minor bonus: +$2, or +2 cards, or +2 actions, or +1 card +1 action, or +2 buys, or "worth 2 vp", or "when you trash this, gain a gold", or something else I think)
 Each other player discards the top 2 cards of his deck, and trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6. If a Knight is trashed by this, trash this card.
  Action — Attack — Knight

They both have a trashing attack, but Rogue prefers to gain things that were previously trashed and Knight only trashes. Rogues give a consistent bonus whereas Knights are unpredictable.

One play of Rogue cancels out one play of Knight, but Knights can whiff and give Rogues a chance to counterattack.

Which is better?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Knights vs Rogues!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:02:28 pm »
+6

In b4 "depends on the kingdom"

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:04:25 pm »

I like that Rogues can resurrect slain Knights.  Medieval zombies!

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:04:41 pm »

Rogue seems like they are prone to give you a nasty infestation of Rats.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »
+1

Ninjas!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:34:25 pm »
+3

In b4 "depends on the kingdom"

Depends on the kingdom.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:18 pm »

A Rogue can kill a Rogue without dying, but if a Knight kills a Knight, it dies. Plus Rogue can get Knights and Rogues back from the trash. So I think Rogue should win.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 05:59:47 pm »

A Rogue can kill a Rogue without dying, but if a Knight kills a Knight, it dies. Plus Rogue can get Knights and Rogues back from the trash. So I think Rogue should win.

But if there are any $3-$6 cards in the trash, you HAVE to gain them and can't attack instead.  If a Rat was trashed earlier, it's coming after your Rogue.  Also Scout.  So Rogue's attack is much less consistent.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 06:28:48 pm »
+10

But if there are any $3-$6 cards in the trash, you HAVE to gain them and can't attack instead.  If a Rat was trashed earlier, it's coming after your Rogue.  Also Scout.  So Rogue's attack is much less consistent.
Gaining scouts just like that sounds borderline overpowered to me.

Lenoxus

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 06:59:01 pm »
+6

I think I know this one. You ask one of them which door the other one would reccomend, thus forcing the same piece of information to pass through the minds of both an honest knight and a lying rogue, so that way you can… wait, what was the question again?

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »

i've been working in my shop on a new card i think you should take a look at
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »
+1

I'm not sure if it's that op. I mean, it is a 2-card combo and besides, who would trash a scout for you to gain it. Sure, you may think that rogue would do this but your opponent would probably rather trash his revealed gold than scout(given the option) and your opponent can stock up on like 10 moats to negate this attack
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

Coone

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:16 pm »

In general, I think that a Rogue is awesome if you can get it really early, like in a 5/2 split.  It threatens to severely hamper your opponents opening by killing their first buys, then gaining them for yourself.  If an engine can be started early enough, you could potentially have a game where you consistently deplete your opponents deck of their decent cards.  If it's played too late in the game, well, it's probably an average card at best.

Rogue is countered, however, by about half of the cards in Dark Ages, and any time your opponent builds a strategy around trashing cards, rogue is basically useless.

Aside from their different minor effects (and awesome artworks and names), knight seems kinda vanilla to me.  A card that becomes really powerful with the right engine, otherwise just an upgraded noble brigand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.