Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: No free promo cards at GenCon.  (Read 15850 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: No free promo cards at GenCon.
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 02:10:14 pm »

Catacombs seems like one of the better BM-enablers so far.

EDIT: It is also missing the attack portion; which is important for oracle.

Catacombs is like the opposite of Rabble.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 02:12:08 pm »

Heh, Storeroom:

Was on forums.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 02:13:40 pm »
+1

Heh, Storeroom:

Was on forums.

Except it's pretty different because storeroom has a buy, is terminal, costs three, gives coin instead of cards for the second discard, and doesn't have the player interaction. But other than that, they're the same.  ;)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 02:20:30 pm »

Catacombs seems like one of the better BM-enablers so far.

EDIT: It is also missing the attack portion; which is important for oracle.

I think Storeroom is an solid BM enabler, but I think it will be ever more amazing for Duchy/Duke and other Alt-VP rushes.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 02:20:46 pm »
+3

I can see sooooo much analysis paralysis for Storeroom.  I guess the proper way to use it would as a Cellar the first time around, with a Secret Chamber effect to compensate for a shitty new draw.

EDIT: It's a Cellar you're not afraid to discard Coppers to, because you know you'll at least get your money back.  The only instance you'd hang on to them would be if Bank was around - and Storeroom seems like a bangin' Bank enabler, too, with its +Buy!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:22:09 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

noon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »
+1

Mystic seems pretty weak. +2$ is about the bare minimum I'd expect from a cost 5 card. Compared to Festival you're giving up a buy and an action for a chance at a card.

It's kind of like a Conspirator Plus. Instead of having to have played 2 actions, you have to know what the top card of your deck is. But if you don't know, you get the action back anyway.

It occurs to me that if you play two Mystics you'll get to draw one card at least.

It combos with Scout. So there's that.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 02:22:19 pm »

Except it's pretty different because storeroom has a buy, is terminal, costs three, gives coin instead of cards for the second discard, and doesn't have the player interaction. But other than that, they're the same.  ;)

Oh, wait, didn't realize it gives coins. That makes it totally different.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »
+2

Mystic seems pretty weak. +2$ is about the bare minimum I'd expect from a cost 5 card. Compared to Festival you're giving up a buy and an action for a chance at a card.

It's kind of like a Conspirator Plus. Instead of having to have played 2 actions, you have to know what the top card of your deck is. But if you don't know, you get the action back anyway.

It occurs to me that if you play two Mystics you'll get to draw one card at least.

Four Mystics and a Scout is an ideal hand.  Well, it'll get you a Province, at least.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 02:23:54 pm »

Armory/Mistic seems fun. :)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 02:24:06 pm »
+1

Four Mystics and a Scout is an ideal hand.  Well, it'll get you a Province, at least.

four mystics by themselves will get a province.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 02:26:43 pm »

But the Scout makes it better because you can also get some precious victory cards in hand and rearrange your deck first
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

feelingzwontfade

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 02:29:01 pm »

Interested in seeing what Mystic will do. So far, improve Spy(and scout) and more notably Cartographer, and weaken Rabble and Fortune Teller even further...

Catacombs is feeling like a weaker Cartographer but I know I'm wrong..

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 02:30:12 pm »

Apothecary-Mystic will be pretty good. Also goes alright with Wishing Well since if you guess wrong, you at least know what the card on top is. Spy and Pearl Diver combo too, I suppose. Still seems a bit weaker for a $5. I can see many times where I might prefer a conspirator, but who know? Maybe the +1action up fron is that important.

EDIT: Semi-ninja'ed by feelingzwontfade

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »
+3

A $5 card that's as good as a silver?
My heart is racing!
This user is banned.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »

I am not a big fan of Wishing Well type cards. That requires too much memorization on my part.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:03 pm »
+1

[thatsthejoke.jpg]
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 03:17:40 pm »
+3

I agree that this is one of the more underwhelming DA cards (but something had to be, right?).  However, it does seem balanced.  If you get the card, you've got about a $7 effect.  (The original draft of Grand Market was +1 Card, +1 Action, +$2 for price of $7 and seems about right there.)  If you fail, you get a $3 effect.  Basically, +1 Card on a non-terminal is the best a single vanilla bonus gets.

Anyway, the two possibilities average out to $5, so it seems like Mystic is well-worth it when you can skew the odds in your favor.

...And I think you can do that a lot more easily than you can with Wishing Well, whose unreliability might be clouding our judgment here.  Sure, you can set Wishing Well up with Apothecary, Scout, etc, but the fact that it draws a card off the top prohibits you from using other combos, such as with Spy, Pearl Diver, Courtyard, Mandarin, Count, and, indeed, other Wishing Wells.

Mystic combos with everything Wishing Well combos with, plus all those others.  And a chain of Mystics draws, at worst, half the number of cards as Mystics, which would seem to make each one individually average out to a $5 effect.  Possibly this is a good strategy in a heavily-trashed deck, unlike with Wishing Well, which -- even if it did combo with itself, which it doesn't -- wouldn't net you any money.

I might be talking myself into thinking it interesting after all.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:19:51 pm by rinkworks »

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 03:21:34 pm »

I don't know, I mean conspirator only cost $4 and probably comboes with a lot more to get a consistent 1 action, i card +2$. I'm not saying it's not balanced, but I think most of the time this will probably behave like a $5 conspirator replacement.

Maybe, like you said, the extra top-card combos will be stronger than I am picturing though.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 03:22:44 pm »

I am not looking at the cards, but I remember Death Cart.

Let's see....costs 4. When you gain it, you gaines two Ruins.

It gives +5. If you do not trash an action, trash Death Cart.

Nice thing is that it provides you two actions when you gain it.
A man has no signature

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 03:23:14 pm »

I don't know, I mean conspirator only cost $4 and probably comboes with a lot more to get a consistent 1 action, i card +2$. I'm not saying it's not balanced, but I think most of the time this will probably behave like a $5 conspirator replacement.

Maybe, like you said, the extra top-card combos will be stronger than I am picturing though.

On the plus side, it doesn't have the risk factor of a Conspirator collision.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 03:23:21 pm »

I don't necessarily disagree.  But Conspirator is a LOT worse when it fails.  At least Mystic gives you the +1 Action every single time.  Additionally, Mystic can combo with itself if necessary, whereas Conspirator always needs outside help (plentiful though that help generally is).

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 03:25:03 pm »
+5

And I've kept my mouth shut for over a year!  And another several months, until Guilds comes out ...  :)

theory, you live in NYC, right? Let me buy you several drinks some time and we can talk about Dominion...
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 03:28:03 pm »

Rebuild was neat. Reveal cards until you find a victory card. Trash it and gain a victory card costing up to 3 more. You name a card first and ignore it when it shows up. So you can skip Provinces if you want.
A man has no signature

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »

Um, am I reading the OP wrong? "No free promo cards at Gencon" and "they cost $5" suggests to me that there's a promo card to be had. Any word on what it is?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 05:23:17 pm »

Sure, you can set Wishing Well up with Apothecary, Scout, etc, but the fact that it draws a card off the top prohibits you from using other combos, such as with Spy, Pearl Diver, Courtyard, Mandarin, Count, and, indeed, other Wishing Wells.
Yeah, this is the big thing. Mystic is much easier to set up than Wishing Well is. It even combos passably with Scout, because a single Scout can give guaranteed cards off of several Mystics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 1.669 seconds with 21 queries.