Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Since the cat is out of the bag...Dominion Leaked Cards  (Read 66468 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: Since the cat is out of the bag...Dominion Leaked Cards
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2012, 06:07:36 pm »

Ok, all cards are very interesting. Especially band of misfits.
But I am really disappointed by the artwork. Hinterlands was so beautiful... and Dark ages is so ugly. Well, except Altar, Bandit camp and Feodum. Otherwise, I seem to have found artwork of the base set...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:08:44 pm by brokoli »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25714
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2012, 06:09:12 pm »
+1

Just making sure I have two things right.

Fortress can't really ever end up in the trash, because once you trash it, it would just end up back in your hand... Correct?

Count, the two options, the first set of actions (the discard 2...) needs to be done before the second set of actions (+$3....)
Yes, Fortress cannot end up in the trash. You would need a way to put cards in the trash without trashing them, and that card only survives in the secret history.

You completely resolve the first choice for Count before the second choice, yes.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2012, 06:19:16 pm »

Just making sure I have two things right.

Fortress can't really ever end up in the trash, because once you trash it, it would just end up back in your hand... Correct?

Count, the two options, the first set of actions (the discard 2...) needs to be done before the second set of actions (+$3....)
Yes, Fortress cannot end up in the trash. You would need a way to put cards in the trash without trashing them, and that card only survives in the secret history.

You completely resolve the first choice for Count before the second choice, yes.

Or by having an impersonal (non-player) trasher.  Like the game is trashing your cards instead of you or your opponent(s) or something, thus not having a hand to go into.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2012, 06:21:17 pm »
+2

Or by having an impersonal (non-player) trasher.  Like the game is trashing your cards

In Soviet Russia, card trashes you!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »
+1

Actually, the discard effect of Iron Monger is pretty good, now that I think of it. Reveal a copper, discard it and get +$, discard a Victory and draw a card, and well I guess when it hits actions, it's pretty situational.
If it hits a Copper, it's almost just like a Lab (except in those situations where $1 is not the same as having the Copper), and if it hits a victory card, it's like a double Lab (again unless it matters that the victory card is in your hand). The thing that makes it not a $5 card is that you can't really just make a huge stack of these, or they end up just villages. But then put them in an action-heavy deck, and they function just fine as villages.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2012, 07:32:54 pm »

It's probably no big deal because one's a potion card, but Procession could get confused with Possession like Mine/Mint :-\ :P
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2012, 07:56:19 pm »

But how do they combo with Scout???

...actually, Feodum/Count/Scout sounds intriguing.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2012, 07:57:50 pm »
+1

It's probably no big deal because one's a potion card, but Procession could get confused with Possession like Mine/Mint :-\ :P

"I Possession my Grand Market to gain a King's Court!"

"Um... not how it works... anyway, hope you enjoy my hand of all Estates."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2012, 08:20:50 pm »

But how do they combo with Scout???

...actually, Feodum/Count/Scout sounds intriguing.

Scouts bad and it should feel bad, Vagrant is half its cost and does twice the work!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »

Wait, am I reading this right? Procession is the same cost as TR, and then it does TR plus a free Upgrading of the Action card? That may not be "strictly better" but it sure sounds more powerful on average...

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:09 pm »
+1

Wait, am I reading this right? Procession is the same cost as TR, and then it does TR plus a free Upgrading of the Action card? That may not be "strictly better" but it sure sounds more powerful on average...

Until you want to TR a Wharf in a kingdom with no $6 actions....

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2012, 09:08:16 pm »

Oh say... Procession with Duration cards? Is there a tracking problem, or am I missing something?

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2012, 09:15:21 pm »

Rinkworks and I totally designed a card almost exactly like band of misfits in the early days of the Fan Cards subforum. It's called Master of Disguise. I remember having multiple arguments about the wording and whether it should be a five or a six.

Note that you don't want to play one after a few Highways...

This is the thread:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=417.0

I totally remember this, and I immediately thought of this when I saw Band of Misfits!  I even came up with my own way of designing it, but I never posted it.  Here's how mine would work (it was originally priced at 6, like Master of Disguise).  It ends up working slightly differently in practice.

Code: [Select]
Play an action card from the supply costing less than this, stacking it on this card.
---
When a card stacked here would be discarded during the clean up phase, instead return it to its supply.  Do not discard this card from play if there is card stacked on here.

So cards like Feast, Island, etc. would decrease the supply by one, whereas most cards wouldn't.  Throne Room/King's court (and now, Procession) could use this to trigger multiple cards.  Most other cards (including durations) should work the same way, although the supply limit is crucial.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:22 pm »
+2

You can't do it to your expensive actions, because the thing you gain HAS to cost exactly 1 more.

That's actually a pretty big drawback. You can't Process a King's Court, for example, without losing the King's Court and gaining nothing in return. Same for whatever the most expensive action around is. If it's a kingdom with lots of juicy $5 actions but no $6 actions, you can't Process a $5 action without losing it.

Oh say... Procession with Duration cards? Is there a tracking problem, or am I missing something?

Yes, there's a tracking problem; I think Donald said that well, you just have to remember.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:51 pm »
+1

Am I understanding this correctly? When you play a Procession with a Goons, you will not receive victory points when you purchase a card because the Goons is trashed and therefore not in play.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2012, 09:21:24 pm »

Hah! Yep, that seems true, the way it's phrased. Another example in which this is worse than Throne Room.

Same with Highway, you don't get any benefit of cost reduction. Doesn't reduce the cost of Peddler I think?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:48 pm »

Rinkworks and I totally designed a card almost exactly like band of misfits in the early days of the Fan Cards subforum. It's called Master of Disguise. I remember having multiple arguments about the wording and whether it should be a five or a six.

Note that you don't want to play one after a few Highways...
I tried making a card similar, but it actually gained the cards in hand and trashed itself or something.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2012, 09:31:47 pm »
+1

Someone suggested something very similar to Procession in one of the guessing threads - I believe they called it "Last Stand."  It was essentially the same, but without the Upgrade.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »

Someone suggested something very similar to Procession in one of the guessing threads - I believe they called it "Last Stand."  It was essentially the same, but without the Upgrade.
I think I saw a card similar to "Last Stand", but without the trashing.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2012, 09:37:13 pm »
+2

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2012, 09:41:21 pm »
+6

Count!  All the Rats!

ONE Rat!  Ah ah ah!

TWO Rats!  Ah ah ah!

THREE oh hell no, I'm outta here.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2012, 09:47:16 pm »
+2

Hah! Yep, that seems true, the way it's phrased. Another example in which this is worse than Throne Room.

Same with Highway, you don't get any benefit of cost reduction. Doesn't reduce the cost of Peddler I think?
I think it'll really depend on the kingdom whether Procession is a good card or not. From the revealed cards, it looks like Procession will combo best with Squire, Fortress, and Ruins.

Squire: When you play Procession with a Squire, you get to choose between [+2 actions, +2 buys, gain a silver] TWICE, then you gain an action attack card (thank you michaeljb), and then you also gain a $3 action card. Procession/Squire will be a great opening.

Fortress: This will be like playing a King's Court with a village, but with the added benefit of gaining a $5 action card. You play it twice, trash it, gain it back and play it a third time.

Ruins: Without a better trasher such as remake or chapel, Procession will play decently with ruins. Either you get a +$2, +2 buy, +2 actions, +2 cards, or the chance to discard or rearrange the top cards of the deck twice, and then you trash it goodbye. This all changes though if Poor House (or a yet unrevealed $1 action card) is in the kingdom.

Also, off the top of my head, Procession could pair nicely with Border Village if there is a good $5 card. Play the $5 card twice, trash it and gain a border village, and then gain back the $5 card. It'd be like playing a TR but you also gain a border village.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:24:27 am by SuperHans »

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2012, 09:54:16 pm »
+2

Wait, so it actually is called Count?

And here, when I saw the post alluding to that as an acronym, I was assuming that 'of', as a "little word", was to be omitted from the intended acronym...

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2012, 10:00:06 pm »
+1

Squire: When you play Procession with a Squire, you get to choose between [+2 actions, +2 buys, gain a silver] TWICE, then you gain an action attack card, and then you gain a $3 action card. Procession/Squire will be a great an even better opening.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2012, 10:00:56 pm »
+4

Wait, so it actually is called Count?

One, two, three options!  Ah!  Ah!  Ah!
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.