Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The History of Dominion, Isotropic and Funsockets in Dominion Card Pictures  (Read 4134 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
+41

I wanted to make my 100th topic something special.

What follows is the History of Dominion, Isotropic and Funsockets in Dominion Card Images (as told by me).
The text and names of the cards have nothing to do with the story, focus on the images.

In the beginning there was this guy named Donald. He thought: "Well I'm no cartoon character!", added an X. to his name and declared himself God.

He invented a great game called Dominion where you would own your own kingdom and slowly but surely expand it to make your neighbours jealous. You can see him hard at work here:

He's already got the first letter!

After a while most players discovered the awesomeness that is Chapel and an epidemic was spreading: the EDIS-virus, EDIS standing for "Everyday I'm Shuffling".

Here you can see a victim who's recovering in the fresh air of the Alps, just look what shuffling did to his hand:

So people did what they always do in these modern times, they took to the internet! And BSW was kind enough to offer players the opportunity to play for free. All was well.

Come one, come all!

Soon enough, the best players found themselves without friends yet again and without cards. A lot of cards hadn't been implemented on BSW so a crazy scientist had a vision, came forward and declared: "I will create my own Dominion website!" This madman we now know as DougZ.

Programming your own Dominion server takes a lot of time and, apparently, Potions.

What a great website thought Theory and Rrenaud and they created a forum and statistics site to go with it.

I'll let you decide who's who.

Isotropic, as the site was called, was thriving and a lot of good, average and horrible players could be found there.

Players from all regions enjoy a thriving Isotropic.

It even had a leaderboard for all the alpha males (and women).

Way in the back you can see jonts26 on his throne.

But behind the scenes the mighty distributors of Dominion thought: Why aren't we making more money?
They looked in their treasure cave and thought it rather empty.

So they decided to do something about all this freedom.

We shall create our own version -evil laugh-

Jay says: Here, go program something.

A year goes by without anything of interest happening and suddenly the announcement came: Funsockets beta is now open.
The community could hardly contain itself so anxious were they to get into the beta, but it was only available to an elite few.

"The password to the beta?" "I know it, it's `WW`" "Which one? Don't know, you've got me there."

Soon the elitists realized: "Wait a minute, this isn't Isotropic, I must be lost, where are all the good things from Isotropic?"

The angry voices got even louder when it was announced that the Funsockets version would go live in a few days and Iso would be closing down.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!! It's not ready yet!

What will the future have in store for us?

I guess it will either be:

Shut up and take my money!

Or...

Anybody home?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile

I don't like that you've made Funsockets the "evil ones".

Aside from that, Scout really cracked me up  ;D

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
+5

fine - go ahead and take my +1 - thats all you wanted anyway.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile

Pretty good, but FunSockets even though not 100% perfect has shown a lot of improvement. I love Dominion so much, so they will be taking my money.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile

It's not a statement by me about Funsockets per se, but more of a reflection on the perception of the community.  :)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
+1

I feel like Scrying Pool is a better future-diviner than Fortune Teller :(

Very awesome card choices nonetheless.

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
+1

My favorite was Jay as the person (King?) featured on the Venture card.  Not that I have anything against him (or RGG/Funsockets/Goko), but it made me chuckle.

The blog existed for a long time before the forums though, so that would be important in chronicling the history.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:03:36 pm by sherwinpr »

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile

"What a great website thought Theory and Rrenaud and they created a forum and statistics site to go with it."
Umm.. HELLO Dominionstrategy.com anyone? You know that is a 3rd part... right? :/

edit: Some careful contemplation has led me to believe that they are both Rrenaud, one at the work place, one at home thinking about how to fix a bug in CR. Reason: Theory has a good head of hair. And for a while he dis liked the Alchemist set.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:34:07 pm by ^_^_^_^ »
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile

My favorite was Jay as the person (King?) featured on the Venture card.  Not that I have anything against him (or RGG/Funsockets/Goko), but it made me chuckle.

The blog existed for a long time before the forums though, so that would be important in chronicling the history.
Well, it IS told by me, so I was ready to accept any inconsistencies.
I didn't feel like having to change it over and over even if I was wrong. :)

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile

I think that the King is actually pretty obviously Donald himself, King of Dominion.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.739 seconds with 20 queries.