Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Puzzle: If the Shelters were in the supply, when would you buy them?  (Read 6459 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile

Assume there are 10 in the supply (8/12 for overgrown estate)

Beginner: Necropolis
Advanced: Overgrown Estate
Expert: Hovel

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle: If the Shelters were in the supply, when would you buy them?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:58 pm »
+1

Necropolis -- whenever you need actions, e.g. Goons.

Overgrown Estate -- SR.  Also, weird situations where you need to draw 2 more cards and you have Watchtower and a gainer.  Ironworks would work especially well for that, as gaining OE lets you draw a card, then trashing it with Watchtower lets you draw another.

Hovel (and the others as well) -- Gardens; Fairgrounds; extra Goons buys if, say, the Copper are all gone somehow; extra buys when you have Trader in hand; in situations where you want to end the game quickly on piles.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »
+2

I hadn't noticed that until eHalcyon's post, but now you could arrange to draw and play new treasure cards during the buy phase.  If you have a watchtower in hand you could play a horn of plenty to gain a cultist which you then immediately trash for +3 cards, and play any treasure cards drawn.

I could even envision a chain in which 4 HoPs are played to gain 3 HoPs and a cultist which are top decked and trashed respectively using your watchtower, allowing you to immediately play the remaining 3 newly acquired HoPs.  You could then play these 3 HoPs to gain 2 HoPs and a Cultist, draw back those 2 HoPs, and use then to gain the last HoP and a Cultist, and then play this HoP together with what additional treasures are in the 3 extra cards drawn from Cultists.

Watchtower is going to be pretty awesome, converting "on trash" benefits into "on gain" benefits.
Well you *do* need a signature...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:50:04 pm »
+1

I could even envision a chain in which 4 HoPs are played to gain 3 HoPs and a cultist which are top decked and trashed respectively using your watchtower, allowing you to immediately play the remaining 3 newly acquired HoPs.

2 HoPs in play...

HoP -- Mandarin (top-deck 3 HoPs from play)
HoP -- Cultist, reveal Watchtower to trash it for +3 cards, drawing 3 HoP
HoP -- anything you like

Repeat...

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:53:39 pm »

Can that actually empty mandarin, cultist and a third pile in one go? nice.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:53:58 pm »
+1

I hadn't noticed that until eHalcyon's post, but now you could arrange to draw and play new treasure cards during the buy phase.  If you have a watchtower in hand you could play a horn of plenty to gain a cultist which you then immediately trash for +3 cards, and play any treasure cards drawn.

I could even envision a chain in which 4 HoPs are played to gain 3 HoPs and a cultist which are top decked and trashed respectively using your watchtower, allowing you to immediately play the remaining 3 newly acquired HoPs.  You could then play these 3 HoPs to gain 2 HoPs and a Cultist, draw back those 2 HoPs, and use then to gain the last HoP and a Cultist, and then play this HoP together with what additional treasures are in the 3 extra cards drawn from Cultists.

Watchtower is going to be pretty awesome, converting "on trash" benefits into "on gain" benefits.

So... you want to empty the Horn of Plenty pile? Because that's all you did right there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:10:26 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:08:19 pm »

well, combine it with blueblimp's idea then.  HoP/Cultist/Mandarin/Watchtower could lead to a pretty cool megaturn where you replay your HoPs pretty much as often as you'd like until either the Mandarin or Cultist piles run out.  It would take a watchtower and two HoPs, with four non treasure cards in play to get started.  Then you could buy up all the remaining HoPs and convert them to Duchys while three piling using the Mandarins and Cultists.  I haven't worked out the math to see how far you could get before running out of Cultists/Mandarins.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:39 pm »

Unfortunately you can't play Treasure in the middle of the Buy phase.  (If you could it would make buying Grand Markets a bit easier.)

EDIT: when enough people are disagreeing, consider the possibility that you have misunderstood.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:45:53 am by qmech »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »
+1

You can't play treasures after buying, but that's why we're using the horn of plenty.  You gain immediately when you play it, and you do play treasure cards one at a time.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:17:06 pm »
+1

Unfortunately you can't play Treasure in the middle of the Buy phase.  (If you could it would make buying Grand Markets a bit easier.)

This before buying while triggering, HOP, each HOP is played separate and triggers separate. Though, what you guys are talking about is mighty complex, although awesome if pulled off.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »
+2

This before buying while triggering, HOP, each HOP is played separate and triggers separate. Though, what you guys are talking about is mighty complex, although awesome if pulled off.

I get the feeling that this pretty much sums up Dark Ages.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 04:22:36 pm »

And, to think some people called Hinterlands a complex expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »
+1

Dark Ages hurts my brain.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kelume

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 05:26:28 pm »
+2

Dark Ages aside, if you have a bunch of coppers in play (say, for use with Banks) and some +buys, you could in theory get a Mandarin to remove them from play and then buy Grand Markets?

I... did not even think of that before. Is that allowed?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »

Yes. Works with Mint too.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 05:36:46 pm »
+2

Dark Ages aside, if you have a bunch of coppers in play (say, for use with Banks) and some +buys, you could in theory get a Mandarin to remove them from play and then buy Grand Markets?

I... did not even think of that before. Is that allowed?

Gaining the Mandarin would immediately remove all of the treasure from play, but my understanding is that playing a copper gives you +$1, so the money would remain even if the copper is no longer in play.

On the other hand, if you are relying on a quarry, then when you gain a mandarin you'll remove the quarry from play, so its +$1 remains but the price reduction on actions goes away.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:55:04 pm »

Necropolis -- whenever you need actions, e.g. Goons.

Overgrown Estate -- SR.  Also, weird situations where you need to draw 2 more cards and you have Watchtower and a gainer.  Ironworks would work especially well for that, as gaining OE lets you draw a card, then trashing it with Watchtower lets you draw another.

Hovel (and the others as well) -- Gardens; Fairgrounds; extra Goons buys if, say, the Copper are all gone somehow; extra buys when you have Trader in hand; in situations where you want to end the game quickly on piles.

That's all I could think of. Well done.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 06:35:55 am »

OE - You have a Scout and ., some TfB, let's say Remake. So you draw with Scout to Remake them into useful stuff + to draw more!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 09:58:54 am »

In a game with Market Square, a Hovel might come in handy for the gold-gaining.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.02 seconds with 21 queries.