Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Funsockets Payment Model  (Read 26076 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Funsockets Payment Model
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:42:09 am »

What do you guys think about the payment model they are going to use for online Dominion?

Apparently you get to play the base game for free, but you have to pay for the expansions.
I have searched for topics with solid info on this, but didn't find a topic devoted to this aspect, so if anyone has some quotes or valid sources, that would be fantastic.

I'm a fan of just paying a one time fee for everything that's available (from base to Dark Ages) and what's going to come next (Guilds). The other option is of course a monthly or even annual fee and the last option is to charge for extras like the expansions.

What's your preferred payment option and how much would you be willing to pay?
  • One-time fee, up to ... $*
  • Monthly / Annual fee, up to ... $* per month/year
  • Free base game with up to ... $* for big expansions (Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages) and up to ... $* for small expansions (Alchemy, Cornucopia, Promos)

* Fill in what you think is fair

Please keep in mind that I would like to know this info about a solid, finished and well polished version of the product and please don't be too judgmental about the current state of the beta. In fact, forget about the beta for a moment.

Just think to yourself: A good online version of Dominion is worth X to me and I would like to pay in form Y.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Funsockets Payment Model
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:00:28 am »
+1

Strongly prefer (and am optimistic we will get) a one-time fee.  It sounds like the base game will be free, and then you can buy cards in sets of 12 or 13, which is fine by me.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:36 am »

It sounds like this model is already confirmed

Base is free, each 1/2 expansion is $N - where $N is yet to be announced.

For me, I don't really care how its split up.  A 1 time fee vs. expansion are both fine.  Monthly / Annual make sense from funsocket's perspective - they do have ongoing costs but it would have to be really low when you look at the other monthly entertainment expenses.

For me - if it allows me to continue playing competitive dominion (competing for top 100 ladder spots), and doesn't get in my way (take a long time to play, interface causes me to make game losing mistakes etc.), then I'm willing to pay $100 or more total - because this is one of my primary hobbies. 

However - in its current state (note: this may not be what is released) and officially announced information (nothing) with gameable leaderboards, bugs, and an interface that irritates me in ~5-10% of games it is worth precisely $0 to me.  I would rather spend that time with any number of other diversions that are higher quality @ the same cost (team fortress 2, tribes: ascend, forum mafia)

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:24:52 am »
+2

Given the model, I would be willing to pay $1-$6 per "expansion" of 12 cards.  Probably to the lower side of that range.  I've already shelled out $20-$50 per physical set - I'm definitely not paying that much again for something in the cloud.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:35:57 am »
+3

Given the model, I would be willing to pay $1-$6 per "expansion" of 12 cards.  Probably to the lower side of that range.  I've already shelled out $20-$50 per physical set - I'm definitely not paying that much again for something in the cloud.
I remember when people said online Magic would never fly because they were charging, I am not making this up, exactly as much for an online booster as for a real booster. At this point I would link to the MiseTings article, "Magic Dying for 8th Consecutive Year," but MT is long gone, while Magic is of course going strong, both online and off, and no they never made those digital cards cheaper.

We are not charging as much as for online copies as for physical copies, and we don't sell the cards in random packs either. What a class act!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:38:42 am »

At this point I would link to the MiseTings article, "Magic Dying for 8th Consecutive Year," but MT is long gone,...
http://web.archive.org/web/20050204025435/http://misetings.com/item/846

Edit: oh, that's the 11th consecutive year. Never mind...
Edit2: I begin to suspect that it was 11 from the start...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:42:03 am by DStu »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:41:41 am »

I think we should all take a guess at the prices!

I reckon $10 for a large expansion
$5 for a small expansion
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:42:51 am »

$5 for a small expansion

They've split up the large expansions in two. I imagine the small expansions and .5 large expansions will cost the same thing.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:43:55 am »

$5 for a small expansion

They've split up the large expansions in two. I imagine the small expansions and .5 large expansions will cost the same thing.

Hmm, good point.

12 cards each? Then I reckon it will cost slightly more than $5 for a small expansion. Lets go $7.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 11:44:24 am »
+1

$5 for a small expansion

Dark Ages will probably be 3 sets.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 11:46:01 am »

$1? Really? Hope you don't have to dip into the kid's college fund for that ...

Realistically, I would think $10-15 per pack, maybe even a touch more. There are a lot of people who put a lot of hours into this product. They probably wan't to eat.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 11:47:47 am »
+1

Realistically, I would think $10-15 per pack, maybe even a touch more. There are a lot of people who put a lot of hours into this product. They probably wan't to eat.

You realize most full games in the iTunes store sell for between $0.99 and $5, right?

minakichan

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 11:48:19 am »
+1

I think a buck per expansion is pretty unreasonably low. I'd be willing to pay some amount at which all the sets together are about the cost of one large physical expansion or a AAA video game-- maybe $5 for big expansions and $3 for small.

If it ends up being much more than that-- maybe $10-15 per expansion-- I still think it'd be reasonable, but I won't buy every set-- I'll probably just buy a few of my favorite expansions (Prosperity, Seaside, Alchemy, Cornucopia, I suppose) and hope that other players have the other sets. Alternatively, I'll just buy one on opening day and add another expansion every couple months when I can afford it.

You realize most full games in the iTunes store sell for between $0.99 and $5, right?

As someone who is making an iOS game that is not Angry Birds, I feel like I just have to say "You realize that most people making those $1 games can't use the profits to afford to eat, right?"

Mobile games have really changed customers' perception of a reasonable price, and unfortunately, game devs can't always afford to meet these demands.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:52:51 am by minakichan »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 11:49:37 am »

At this point I would link to the MiseTings article, "Magic Dying for 8th Consecutive Year," but MT is long gone,...
http://web.archive.org/web/20050204025435/http://misetings.com/item/846

Edit: oh, that's the 11th consecutive year. Never mind...
Edit2: I begin to suspect that it was 11 from the start...
Well the article doesn't do justice to the title, but the title is fantastic.

Dark Ages is in fact three sets. So all of the sets are 12-13 cards except for one of the Dark Ages ones, which is 11. I put Hermit and the other card like that in that one to try to lessen that blow.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 11:50:42 am »
+6

Yeah, Doodle Jump is clearly as good as the entire Seaside expansion!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 11:51:06 am »
+2

Our game is free!

That's the model everyone likes these days - free but you pay for more stuff. Valve has a game coming that's paid for entirely with hats.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 11:54:31 am »
+1

Our game is free!

That's the model everyone likes these days - free but you pay for more stuff. Valve has a game coming that's paid for entirely with hats.

Will swap Sombrero for Dark Ages!

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 12:09:36 pm »

You realize those games had nowhere near the development time of this game and don't have persistent server costs, right?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 12:11:09 pm »
+1

You realize those games had nowhere near the development time of this game and don't have persistent server costs, right?

And you realize we're not just buying one game, but around a dozen booster packs?

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 12:20:21 pm »

Yep, same is true for IRL dominion.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 12:36:25 pm »
+1

I would probably look for comparisons to high end board games on itunes.  Le Havre is 5 bucks I think?  Ascension was around that + ~3 per expansion?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 12:45:04 pm »

I would probably look for comparisons to high end board games on itunes.  Le Havre is 5 bucks I think?  Ascension was around that + ~3 per expansion?

San Juan / Puerto Rico are $7.99.

Nightfall is the same as ascension.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 12:54:28 pm »

This.  I assume it'll be in the three to five range.  High enough to make money, especially from the hardcore players (it comes to $70 for everything and a number of us have said we'd pay up to $100 for Iso) but low enough that casual players will buy two or three packs.  Much higher and you won't get cash from casual players.  Lower than three and everyone starves.  It's a delicate balance.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 01:03:57 pm »

I like the idea of physical versions including a code to redeem for the same expansion or some type of discount at funsockets.

Granted, I've just bought all the physical versions but hopefully Base and DA do something like this for me.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »
+2

I like the idea of physical versions including a code to redeem for the same expansion or some type of discount at funsockets.

Granted, I've just bought all the physical versions but hopefully Base and DA do something like this for me.

Lots of people seem to like this idea, somehow not realizing that it makes no money for Goko.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 2.055 seconds with 20 queries.