Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hoard / Trader  (Read 3090 times)

wrathofmine

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Hoard / Trader
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:44:54 am »

With Hoard in play and Trader in my hand, can I buy an estate, reveal a trader to gain a silver instead, but still gain the gold from the hoard ?

I would say yes because for me the gain "triggers" after the buy, and hoard gives a gold on buy, but I'm not sure of me ? can someone confirm that or tell me where I'm wrong ?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Hoard / Trader
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:55:20 am »

Yes, gain triggers after buy.

You could also reveal Trader to receive Silver instead of Gold from Hoard which may only be useful with the new card Feodum.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:59:16 am »

Yep.

The way Dominion works, first you Buy the card, and then you Gain it.

Hoard says "While this is in play, when you buy a Victory card, gain a Gold." So when you Buy the estate, you gain the Gold; you can then reveal Trader to Gain a silver instead of the Estate.

(The same thing also works with other on-Buy effects like Farmland, Talisman, etc.)

wrathofmine

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 05:08:32 am »
+1

Good, thanks for your answers.

- hand: Contraband, Hoard, Hoard, Trader
- my opponent sees a Hoard trick coming and vetoes Great Hall
- does'nt matter I buy two Estates, revealing my Trader, so I gain 4 Golds and 2 Silvers this turn (just before a reshuffle)... wait can I do that ?

happy to know it really worked.

BMan

• Steward
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:45:35 pm »

From the Hinterlands rulebook:

"When you buy a card, you first buy it, then gain it; so for example if you buy Noble Brigand and have Trader in your hand, you first resolve what the Noble Brigand does when you buy it, and then can choose to use Trader's 'when you gain' ability. You can sometimes buy a card without gaining it, such as by using Trader to gain Silver instead, or due to the Dominion: Alchemy card Possession."

So, yes, you could play a Hoard, buy an Estate, immediately gain a Gold, reveal Trader, and gain a Silver instead of the Estate. I.e., you're gaining Gold-Silver.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:22 pm »

"When you buy a card, you first buy it, then gain it; so for example if you buy Noble Brigand and have Trader in your hand, you first resolve what the Noble Brigand does when you buy it, and then can choose to use Trader's 'when you gain' ability. You can sometimes buy a card without gaining it, such as by using Trader to gain Silver instead, or due to the Dominion: Alchemy card Possession."

So, yes, you could play a Hoard, buy an Estate, immediately gain a Gold, reveal Trader, and gain a Silver instead of the Estate. I.e., you're gaining Gold-Silver.

Heh. I had to check the rulebook myself but it does actually say that. Maybe that needs fixing for future print runs since Trader does not have a 'when you gain' ability.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:59:33 pm »

Heh. I had to check the rulebook myself but it does actually say that. Maybe that needs fixing for future print runs since Trader does not have a 'when you gain' ability.

Sure it does, though the wording may be confusing.  Trader has an ability that activates "when you gain" something else.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9414
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 01:10:28 pm »

Whoa, I'd never noticed that particular one.  Noble Brigand: you can attack other people without gaining this, if you do it right!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:18:11 pm »
+3

Sure it does, though the wording may be confusing.  Trader has an ability that activates "when you gain" something else.

Nope. It has an ability that activates "when you would gain" something. The "would" makes all the difference.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:47:26 pm »

Nope. It has an ability that activates "when you would gain" something. The "would" makes all the difference.

I stand corrected.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.762 seconds with 21 queries.