Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fountain of Youth  (Read 1522 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Fountain of Youth
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:44:06 am »

While sulking to myself about my underappreciated contest entry ;) I came up with a completely different Potion-cost card idea:

Fountain of Youth - Action/Duration - $3P ?
+1 Card, +1 Action.
While this is in play, at the start of every turn:
Put a coin token on this card. Choose one: +1 Card, or +1 Action.
-
At the beginning of your buy phase, if this is in play, you may trash it. If you do: +$P, +1 Buy. Return the coin tokens from this card to the supply; +$1 for each coin token returned.

* The Potion makes the water in the fountain all magical and stuff when you buy it.
* People throw coins into fountains. When you take the fountain apart, you harvest those, and reclaim the potion.

I'm not sure I like that, as written, it could be trashed on the turn it's played, without ever sitting out. But I don't see a good wording to prevent that, and maybe it's fine.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain of Youth
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:29:06 am »

While sulking to myself about my underappreciated contest entry ;) I came up with a completely different Potion-cost card idea:

Fountain of Youth - Action/Duration - $3P ?
+1 Card, +1 Action.
While this is in play, at the start of every turn:
Put a coin token on this card. Choose one: +1 Card, or +1 Action.
-
At the beginning of your buy phase, if this is in play, you may trash it. If you do: +$P, +1 Buy. Return the coin tokens from this card to the supply; +$1 for each coin token returned.

* The Potion makes the water in the fountain all magical and stuff when you buy it.
* People throw coins into fountains. When you take the fountain apart, you harvest those, and reclaim the potion.

I'm not sure I like that, as written, it could be trashed on the turn it's played, without ever sitting out. But I don't see a good wording to prevent that, and maybe it's fine.
Is this using the variant of Duration that allows it to stay out indefinitely? :( I've been seeing it a lot lately, and maybe it's awful picky of me, but I would rather there be a new term for that instead (like maybe "Persistent" or "Timeless"?) since Duration has its own clear rules which only allow it to stay out for at most 2 clean-ups. derp

Anyway, assuming the Fountain of Youth can stay out forever, and I assuming I read it right, it is crazy good. It's better than Alchemist after one play, because it can do the same thing (increase your net hand size by 1) but you never have to worry about replaying it, don't need a Potion to guarantee it into your next turn, and the other players can't force you to trade it with Masqerade, or force you to discard it with attacks like Minion. And I don't think the other players can force the FoYs to leave play, so they're on a time limit before you blitz the Provinces. I'm not sure what the right price is for Fountain of Youth, but +1 Card at the start of your turn should probably not be on a card that stays out indefinitely.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:04:33 am by FishingVillage »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:43:28 am »

Is this using the variant of Duration that allows it to stay out indefinitely? :( I've been seeing it a lot lately, and maybe it's awful picky of me, but I would rather there be a new term for that instead (like maybe "Persistent" or "Timeless"?) since Duration has its own clear rules which only allow it to stay out for at most 2 clean-ups.

The Seaside rules describe Duration such that you can theoretically have a Duration card that remains in play indefinitely.  Specifically, the rules state that a Duration stays in play until it no longer has an effect.  If it has an effect every turn, it will remain in play.  It's just that all the official Duration cards only have an effect "at the start of your next turn" rather than "at the start of each turn".

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:53:04 am »

The Seaside rules describe Duration such that you can theoretically have a Duration card that remains in play indefinitely.  Specifically, the rules state that a Duration stays in play until it no longer has an effect.  If it has an effect every turn, it will remain in play.  It's just that all the official Duration cards only have an effect "at the start of your next turn" rather than "at the start of each turn".
Ah okay. Well that's what I get for not fully understanding Duration rules then :(

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:55:08 am »

Ah okay. Well that's what I get for not fully understanding Duration rules then :(

That isn't to say that there shouldn't be a new card type for persistent cards.  Maybe that's what Guilds will bring!  But Durations have it covered too. :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.