Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lighthouse vs Ambassador  (Read 1058 times)

mgallop

• Baron
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Lighthouse vs Ambassador
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:09:00 am »

Just finished a really weird game where I went Amb+Silver vs opponents Double Amb, and then I dipped into lighthouses whereas he eventually got up to triple Amb.  Both of us ended up going pretty deep w/ Horde, and I eventually won pretty solidly.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/12/game-20120812-010613-71249c8f.html

So, I mostly tried to fight off Ambs w/ Lighthouse because I was curious, and it ended up working, but I'm still kinda skeptical, and I felt like I was losing for a good long chunk of the game.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouse vs Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:58:20 am »

Lighthouse gave you immunity 5 times, which is nice, but your opponent still gets to get rid of his junk, and he gets rid of all of his copper and all but 2 estates. You end up with 9 copper so your one ambassador wasn't that effective. Maybe it didn't have to be... just go Hoard/Harem...
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:39:25 am »

In general when lh and Amb are both in the board (ignoring everything else) I will open Amb/lh vs Amb/Amb or Amb/silver.

Then sometimes pick up a second Amb (sometimes not) depending on if I need to streamline my deck fast. I almost always pick up more lh on $2 draws.

Lh is nice as it "gets out of the way" and let's you play your Amb more often (bs silver ) and has the benefit of protecting you from the other guys Amb. It does make it slightly less likely you will hit $5 early. But I'm usually willing to deal with that - even when there are killer &5s available.

Ed

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:43:40 pm »

This doesn't look like a very good Amb board; Hoard is going to fill your deck with things that you don't want to return.

Then again I wouldn't ignore Amb entirely, because of the threat of a GM stack.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:47:07 pm by dondon151 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.266 seconds with 20 queries.