Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: The New Golden Deck  (Read 22097 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
The New Golden Deck
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:51:53 am »

I was wondering if something like this would be practical:

Any Village-Bishop-Graverobber, $6 card

You just play Village, Bishop the $6 card for 1+3 = 4 VP and play Graverobber to get it back.
With this combo it's possible to score unlimited points at 4 points a pop. In comparison, it takes 4 Monument plays to get 4 VP.

You could of course expand on this with a crazy KC-scheme combo, it might make a nice puzzle, how many points can you gain per turn indefinitely with Bishop-Graverobber?

But the question is: Is this a new golden deck that we might see?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: The New Golden Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:56:29 am »

Hmm.. Make that Village a Border Village, so anytime you gain it, You gain a Bishop or GR.

Than you have your 6 card right there as well.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:24:50 am »

I am curious about the theoretical upper limit, because you could even include 5 Highways which you play AFTER trashing your Colonies or less Highways for something like Peddler or Province so you can get them back with GR.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:42:46 am »

Oh, wait, my idea is kinda stupid, it breaks the Golden Deck. Didn't realize you are speaking of golden.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:28:30 am »

But the question is: Is this a new golden deck that we might see?

Sure, why not?
Although it is weaker than the original golden deck as it only produces 4 VP per turn instead of 5.
So in most cases it may be better to go for Gold+Silver+Silver+Bishop+X instead.
But there are probably cases where the 4-VP-version is quicker to set up and where that is more important than the fifth VP per turn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:55:56 am »

KC-KC Graverobber Bishop Bishop

Each turn, GR three BVs and gain three $5 cards. Bishop each BV for 4 and each other for 3, to make 21 VP each turn until you run out of stuff to gain with BV.

You could also do a variation with two GRs instead, brining back 3 actions, expanding them into Provinces or even Plats, then trashing them.

Main issue is that your fodder could be GR'd by opponents.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:02:42 am »
+1

Each turn, GR three BVs and gain three $5 cards. Bishop each BV for 4 and each other for 3, to make 21 VP each turn until you run out of stuff to gain with BV.

You could also do a variation with two GRs instead, brining back 3 actions, expanding them into Provinces or even Plats, then trashing them.

Main issue is that your fodder could be GR'd by opponents Graverobber doesn't Graverob-to-hand.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:07:57 am »

Well that's embarrassing!

Make that second GR a can trip so you can draw your new cards. You can still Bishop three things!

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 09:44:03 am »
+2

Main issue is that your fodder could be GR'd by opponents.

A way to make this work would be Kc/Kc/Grvr/Bish/Rats -

Gain 3 rats from trash (2 of which you Grvr'd into Kc's), trash a rat, draw a card, trash a rat, draw a card, trash a rat, draw final rat. Do not play final rat. This gives 12 VP a turn and your opponent most likely won't be trying to steal your fodder.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:46:13 am »

That's it, I'm making a puzzle.

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 09:47:36 am »

Well that's embarrassing!

Make that second GR a can trip so you can draw your new cards. You can still Bishop three things!

Actually, you can use any draw you like (excepting jack). Because you have a chained KC, there is no need for +action. Because you only want to draw 3 cards, any + card works (excepting mandatory discards like warehouses and oases).

jomini

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 09:50:31 am »

Be sure to disallow durations, otherwise it will be some vastly insane number thanks to outpost/haven as you can hide a massive deck with Kc/Haven, play it during the normal turn (for insane amounts of VP), and then spend the OP turn hiding it back in the Kc/Haven tree.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 11:42:21 am »
+1

Be sure to disallow durations, otherwise it will be some vastly insane number thanks to outpost/haven as you can hide a massive deck with Kc/Haven, play it during the normal turn (for insane amounts of VP), and then spend the OP turn hiding it back in the Kc/Haven tree.

Hmm - this has probably been answered somewhere, but if I KC-KC-Haven-X-X, do I only leave one KC out with Haven, or both?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »

Hmm - this has probably been answered somewhere, but if I KC-KC-Haven-X-X, do I only leave one KC out with Haven, or both?

Just one, I believe.  And I believe that's true even if you do something like KC-KC-Duration-Duration-Duration.  The first KC was played on a KC, so it doesn't stay out.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:58 pm »

KC-KC-Wharf-X-KC-Wharf-X-X on the other hand pins two KC's to the table.

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 10:31:26 am »

Having this topic brought up, I just realized that with the introduction of Graverobber, there is a potential for games to go on indefinitely (or one person resigns). This Golden Deck trashes and re-gains a $6 on the same turn so there could be no end for the game, especially if it's a mirror match with no cursing attacks and none of the supplies run out. Will it be a stalemate? Is there a way to get out of this stalemate? Whoever gets sick of the game first? Am I totally misinterpreting this?

Obviously if it's faster to run out the Province pile, then this wouldn't even be an issue.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 11:11:32 am »

Having this topic brought up, I just realized that with the introduction of Graverobber, there is a potential for games to go on indefinitely (or one person resigns). This Golden Deck trashes and re-gains a $6 on the same turn so there could be no end for the game, especially if it's a mirror match with no cursing attacks and none of the supplies run out. Will it be a stalemate? Is there a way to get out of this stalemate? Whoever gets sick of the game first? Am I totally misinterpreting this?

Obviously if it's faster to run out the Province pile, then this wouldn't even be an issue.

Technically such an issue exists now with Monument (KC, KC, Monument, Monument, Monument buy nothing or something like that), but it doesn't really come up in practice. I am hoping this is the same.

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 11:18:09 am »

Technically such an issue exists now with Monument (KC, KC, Monument, Monument, Monument buy nothing or something like that), but it doesn't really come up in practice. I am hoping this is the same.

But I would think Bishop, Graverobber, Village, $6 is significantly easier to set up than KC/KC/Monument(x3). I would hope stalemates wouldn't happen either.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:19 am »

It's also possible to buy out the copper and curse piles and have all players chapel away their entire deck so it's impossible to buy anything for the rest of the game. Would this be the only possible condition where all players lose?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 11:51:46 am »
+5

I believe the official ruling is that you play on until somebody dies.

Edit: Here you go http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5148561#5148561
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:55:30 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 12:02:56 pm »
+5

Let the record show that that guy, who appeared to be a new account created to repeat a question that he hadn't gotten a satisfactory answer for the first time, only this time pretending it had actually happened and thus really needed an answer okay please, vanished immediately after that thread.

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »

Well there goes my plan of creating a dummy account  :)

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:16 pm »
+1

Let the record show that that guy, who appeared to be a new account created to repeat a question that he hadn't gotten a satisfactory answer for the first time, only this time pretending it had actually happened and thus really needed an answer okay please, vanished immediately after that thread.

DXV ...

Many people have gushed over your game(s?) and I'm sure have been appreciative of the hard work that you have accomplished (and continue to accomplish?) by creating them.

But I must note that I really, really enjoy your personal (non-professional) contributions to humanity as well.  For example, EVERY TIME that that whole saga is brought up, you chime in with your disclaimer about the fishiness of that situation.  It really, really puts a smile on my face.  Thus effectively increasing the amount of smiles that have been smiled by the human race ever.  Grats, man -- you rock.

/gush

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 12:25:32 pm »

It's also possible to buy out the copper and curse piles and have all players chapel away their entire deck so it's impossible to buy anything for the rest of the game. Would this be the only possible condition where all players lose?

This is an argument for including the ruins pile in every game.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 12:37:44 pm »
+17

It's a much less grim scenario than you're imagining. Everyone just gets up from the table and whenever they happen to see each other someone says "pass" to signify that they've taken their turn. It becomes a really funny inside joke that stays with you for decades. When one of you finally dies you go to the will reading and when the lawyer reads the words "I concede the game of Dominion" you start laughing your ass off even though you want to cry and everyone there wonders what's wrong with you. Then you go home and find the dominion game, still in progress after all these years, and pack up all the cards. Now you start crying. But then one of your grandkids finds you and asks you what you're doing and you realize no one has even played card games since paper rationing began in 2037. So you say to your grandkid "This is your college fund. You can sell it for a king's ransom. But first, let me show you the game I used to play with my friends."
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 1.384 seconds with 21 queries.