Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I just won a game with negative points  (Read 4546 times)

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
I just won a game with negative points
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:27:11 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/10/game-20120810-222458-d21aec00.html

That's the first time I've ever done that.  But I'm relatively new, maybe it's not a big deal -- who else has done this?

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Re: I just won a game with negative points
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:04:59 am »

According to Council Room, it's been done 2133 times: http://councilroom.com/goals

It's the goal titled "Golfer."
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

engineer

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:33:11 am »

Sweet.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:25:54 am »

Just because it's been done over 2000 times, doesn't mean it's no big deal. Remember, there have been over 6 million games on isotropic--so Golfer has been earned in less than .03% of games*. Congrats!

I think I pulled this off once or twice, way back in the day on BSW.

*edit: more like .02%, as you can see on the goal stats page on councilroom.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:26:58 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:25:34 am »

I have only done this a few times in real life when we were new to the game. Hasn't happened since. It's one of the two achievments (I think) that I haven't got.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:50:21 am »

It's more common in games with more players, because there are more Curses and negative points per player (but they get distributed faster), and the cheap non-Curse piles go faster.

I've never done it online because I play almost exclusively 2p, but I've seen it over-the-board in 4p.

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:34 am »

It's one of the hardest of the councilroom.com achievements that you can realistically get with optimal play. Flash (winning in 10 turns or fewer iirc) is harder, but the other achievements that are comparably difficult are things like getting all five prizes in one turn, which is seldom going to be a really good idea.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:30:27 am »

It's more common in games with more players, because there are more Curses and negative points per player (but they get distributed faster), and the cheap non-Curse piles go faster.

I've never done it online because I play almost exclusively 2p, but I've seen it over-the-board in 4p.
I think that there are always 10 curses per opponent, though certainly all the 10-card piles are at high risk for running out, especially if they are subject to group-think.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 11:55:00 am »

I think that there are always 10 curses per opponent, though certainly all the 10-card piles are at high risk for running out, especially if they are subject to group-think.

Always 10 curses per opponent, which is 5/player in 2p and (almost) 8/player in 4p. So you have more negative points, but it still takes 10 plays of say a Witch to distribute all of them.

engineer

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 01:25:40 pm »

It's one of the hardest of the councilroom.com achievements that you can realistically get with optimal play. Flash (winning in 10 turns or fewer iirc) is harder, but the other achievements that are comparably difficult are things like getting all five prizes in one turn, which is seldom going to be a really good idea.

Eh, there's no way we were playing optimally.  We bought out all the fishing villages and highways without buying any victory cards!  But it was still awesome :-p

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:57 am »

Just because it's been done over 2000 times, doesn't mean it's no big deal. Remember, there have been over 6 million games on isotropic--so Golfer has been earned in less than .03% of games*. Congrats!

I don't think he was saying it wasn't a big deal, he was just pointing the OP towards a useful resource I think.

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 10:13:06 pm »

I don't think he was saying it wasn't a big deal, he was just pointing the OP towards a useful resource I think.

Yeah, but when you see it's been done thousands of times, you might not think it was as difficult as it is. It's a really cool thing to achieve.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 05:00:52 pm »

I've achieved Golfer only once and The Flash only once. I never thought I would achieve Flash. Surprisingly, I never got the bully award despite playing over 2000 games. I think I would have though on a few occasions, but my opponents resigned because who likes to lose to a Torturer engine.

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 06:30:29 pm »

I've achieved Golfer only once and The Flash only once. I never thought I would achieve Flash. Surprisingly, I never got the bully award despite playing over 2000 games. I think I would have though on a few occasions, but my opponents resigned because who likes to lose to a Torturer engine.

A Scrying Pool engine can "easily" win the Bully award.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »

A Scrying Pool engine can "easily" win the Bully award.

I play Srying Pool all the time, and I have still yet to win that award, maybe I need to buy some Spy's to go with it.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:18:27 pm »

I'm fairly sure the bully's favorite attack to chain is Minion.  You get a couple, and even if you just take the $2, you still played an attack.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.971 seconds with 20 queries.