Dominion > Puzzles and Challenges

allfail's Not-so-simple Puzzle #1 (and maybe the only 1): Goons Maniac!

(1/4) > >>

timchen:
Well, seeing Blooki's interesting puzzles I cannot help but trying to make one myself. Here it is:

One day, you introduce your friends to Dominion. Three newbies are eager to know the awesome game.

Knowing they are smart, you start directly from a random setup. The setup turned out to be pathetic however, as there are no +2 action cards, and no cards that draw two or more than it discards (also excluding Watch Tower and Library). Your friends cannot wait to start the game, so 4 of you nevertheless just sit and start.

"It's ok, without those +actions and +cards, the game shall be simpler and quicker." You think.

Alas, it is not the case. All of your friends, despite being noobs, notice immediately a very powerful card you somehow overlook. Goons. In no time, each of them has more than two copies of it, and practically every single turn everyone is hit by Goons.

"Not fun." Says one of your friends. "Really. We just sit here, not being able to afford much, and forces other to be the same."

This annoys you. As your favorite game ever, you cannot stand someone criticize it. At the same time, the deck you are planning is finally completed. And you just have the perfect draw.

"Really, let me show you why I like the game so much."

From this turn on, you score 20+ VPs every turn. With any kind of draw. (until the supply depleted of course...) Your friends are wowed.  They now become keen Dominion players as well!

What did you do?

Edit: I forgot to warn, that while the constraints are strictly obeyed, the other descriptions may not be so accurate. After all this is a puzzle, and the answer I have in mind is pretty unrealistic to build for in a real game.

Edit2: Sorry the original constraint is incorrect. I meant to say those cards that increases your hand size do not exist...

Edit3: it turns out that the problem is actually somewhat harder than I think. Let me, therefore, gives further hint below:

The first hint:
In my solution, in addition to the cards mentioned below by WanderingWinder, there are several other important cards. The most tricky ones I think, are
Haven and Pearl Diver.

Now If you looked at the hint above, and still have no clue, here is a further hint.
In my solution, You need five of them each.

WanderingWinder:
multiple horse traders, possibly other stuff too. And definitely King's Court

timchen:
Yes, yes, and yes.

Edit:

Let me add a hint (Or rather, another constraint):
Presumably, there exists some answer which involves KC on +1 card +1 action cards to draw a large enough hand to work with. My solution does not have this. Also, it is easy to check in my solution that no matter what the draw is, you can gain the same amount of VPs every turn, provided that the supply does not run out.

Blooki:
Does Tactician violate the card-drawing constraint?

timchen:
I would say so. I didn't use the card. You are welcome to post a solution with the card though. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version