Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Official Version Launching 8/16?  (Read 98323 times)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Official Version Launching 8/16?
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 02:25:40 am »

They should probably work on making those animations disableable

Yup.
Yeah, thanks for the change.  That's a choice too, but if they are letting you watch your opponents turn, this could frustrate newer players who find the animations helpful when their opponent disables them during his turn.  Tiling them would cause a big increase in speed, and would give the more visual feel that FunSockets seems to be going for. 

This would be a beneficial change to their current plan, instead of forcing them to completely change their plan.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2012, 03:02:59 am »

I wouldn't have an issue with it if it followed the current rule of "Slowest speed takes priority." So no animations is highest speed, but if someone has animations on then you have to wait for animations. It's annoying I admit, but it's probably the only way to work it in while keeping animations for people who like them.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2012, 04:19:30 am »
+1

Soo, a few select people (well, not that few actually) have been playing this beta-version for a bit. I guess some of you plays there instead of playing on iso. Why shouldn't everyone be able to play there? Because every expansion isn't out yet? That's my biggest concern. Other than that. I'm acutally super excited that something is happening here. But then, I'm one of the ones who actually likes the FunSockets version.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2012, 07:23:56 am »

I played * a lot * of games on it yesterday and I think the connectivity is the main problem. You can playing happily and then the server leaves you waiting for 3 minutes for a response. Perhaps it has hung entirely; you can't really tell. This isn't good enough unfortunately and you can't refresh the browser or do anything to remedy this without making things worse. Otherwise, despite all the UI features that are missing, it is playable product.

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2012, 07:56:40 am »

(BTW, everyone, this is in General Discussion, and not in the funsockets private forum. Not sure how much if anything we're actually allowed to ay here.)

Who gives a Scout's ass if you get kicked out of the Beta now? The product launches in 6 days.

We have Rats now.

That was a perfect response.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2012, 09:12:16 am »
+2

Gonna be honest with you, I didn't beta test for long. I played for a week or so when I got my invite, and reported stuff I found. Most of the stuff I found had already been reported a million times though so I felt I wasn't really helping anything and just left it. I wanted to try out multiplayer games but most of the time the server was so dead you could only play a bot anyway so I just left and figured I'd come back one day when more people had been invited and there'd be people around. I never did.

Just went for a quick game (against a bot... still) now to see how (/if) it'd advanced since then, and well... it hasn't, much. It still looks the same, it's still empty, the Adventure mode is still nowhere to be seen. Logs have been added and maybe a few rules-related bugs have been fixed that I didn't check in my one game. However, I haven't played on Isotropic either for probably... I don't know, maybe a couple of months now. Well, I had a great time on Goko just now. I played a game of Dominion. There were cards there and they moved around the screen and made numbers change and other cards move when I played them. There were some animations but they didn't take long and they highlighted the things that were happening... and I didn't even think to check until half way through the game and it turned out I was playing on the normal speed setting. Not even fast. The animations were definitely not a problem. Maybe it's because I'm not used to Isotropic at the moment. Maybe it's because I'm not impatient. But my point is, for the majority of people, the system is fine. If people think the animations are a problem playing on very fast, then it's those people who have the problem, not Goko. I'm sorry, but Goko is not Isotropic and I'm pretty fed up with comments along the lines of "Goko is terrible and should not be released because it is not Isotropic". Goko is just fine and Goko will be getting my money. We all knew this was going to happen eventually and I am stoked now that it is. Can't wait to see some Dark Ages cards flying around the screen and making animations happen.

I hope the Adventure mode is available in the official launch version and I have no doubt the missing sets will be added pretty sharpish. That's not a problem to me. All I care about is whether or not it's a decent platform to play Dominion online, and it is. Isotropic was too. Isotropic didn't LOOK like Dominion though and Goko does. So I'm happy. Good job Goko.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2012, 09:15:18 am »
+2

WW buys all the sets, then I mooch off of him :)
Yeah, the guy who can't get a full-time job buys all the stuff for you...  ::)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2012, 09:18:18 am »
+2

"Good enough"? It's still full of moronic animations where you're not allowed to play until they're done whizzing and sparkling.

They've fixed a few crashing bugs, but they sure haven't made it into anything near the quality of Isotropic.
I didn't say that it was as good as isotropic, I didn't say that it was perfect, what I said was, it's good enough to be a product.
I mean, yes, it's not everything I want, and yes, it's not everything you want, but from a fair, objective stand point, it is 'good enough'. I stand by that. And those animations really don't take that long (though I agree, it would be wonderful if they were disableable).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2012, 09:35:45 am »
+2

I wouldn't have an issue with it if it followed the current rule of "Slowest speed takes priority." So no animations is highest speed, but if someone has animations on then you have to wait for animations. It's annoying I admit, but it's probably the only way to work it in while keeping animations for people who like them.

What would be nice would be a feature that auto-matches you to someone with the same preferred animation speed setting.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2012, 10:41:09 am »
+3

The only bug that I think is "not good enough for release" is the shuffling bug.
It has been reproduced for small decks.
But I suspect it to be present but undetected on all deck sizes.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2012, 02:43:26 pm »

The only bug that I think is "not good enough for release" is the shuffling bug.

lol I kept thinking to myself, man, I keep getting bad shuffle luck all the time against the bots.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2012, 03:45:40 am »
+3

(EDIT: I'm deleting this post because I forgot this was not the closed beta forum area.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:33:05 pm by yudantaiteki »

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2012, 08:14:17 am »
+2

excited!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2012, 09:50:31 am »

I've seen some bugs in the last few days I would say are "not good enough for release" -- some cards don't work the way the rules say they should, which is a pretty big problem.

Which ones?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2012, 12:13:11 pm »

I've seen some bugs in the last few days I would say are "not good enough for release" -- some cards don't work the way the rules say they should, which is a pretty big problem.

Which ones?
It's not authorized to discuss it here, but post this in the FunSockets Beta Feedback forum and I'm sure you'll get a list.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:16:36 pm by blueblimp »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:04 pm »
+8

To my mind if the product was given another three weeks of improvement then it would probably capture a new market of casual players and keep most of the isotropic players. At the moment it risks casual and even some regular players being lost from the Dominion market forever if they have an initial bad experience with the product. Internet users can be quite fickle and are ready to spend their time elsewhere if they're not satisfied with the service they get.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2012, 03:43:35 pm »

Yeah, I'm so scared that that'll happen :(

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »

So you mean you don't love the game? I'm pretty sure that people who loves playing on iso really likes the game and would be willing to give away even months in wait for a "perfected" version of the online game. I'm not worried about the regular players. The casuals will maybe take a hit, but as the online version stabilizes so should the new stream of casual players.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2012, 04:02:18 pm »
+1

So you mean you don't love the game? I'm pretty sure that people who loves playing on iso really likes the game and would be willing to give away even months in wait for a "perfected" version of the online game. I'm not worried about the regular players. The casuals will maybe take a hit, but as the online version stabilizes so should the new stream of casual players.
If Goko doesn't make much money, I speculate dev efforts would be reduced.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2012, 09:28:11 pm »

I would be. Sad, but true.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2012, 09:14:00 pm »

Fabian's right; I'm pretty sure that the fanbase of "regular" players is much larger than the fanbase of invested players like you and me, and are much more susceptible to first impressions.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2012, 09:19:56 pm »

Fabian's right; I'm pretty sure that the fanbase of "regular" players is much larger than the fanbase of invested players like you and me, and are much more susceptible to first impressions.
This, and a lot of iso players aren't gonna waste time with this. They get on, see an inferior product, go "what is this... I don't even..." and leave in about an hour tops.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 09:28:00 pm »

This, and a lot of iso players aren't gonna waste time with this. They get on, see an inferior product, go "what is this... I don't even..." and leave in about an hour tops.

Well, I don't think this is going to be exactly true. From an economics standpoint, at least, if the player deems that he derives enough enjoyment out of playing Goko, despite its flaws, that it's worth the cost, then he'll buy Goko.

And you guys love Dominion... right? Right? :P

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure the nice, pretty UI will attract a lot of players that were turned off by the "ugliness" of iso.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »
+2

If isotropic were still an option, I would agree with you.  But when the choice is Goko vs. nothing, I don't think they're going to leave as quickly as you think.  Most likely if they're that invested in iso they want to play online Dominion even on an "inferior product" if that's their only choice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.