Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Foot Hills, an alt VP worth your median cost.  (Read 6930 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Foot Hills, an alt VP worth your median cost.
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 12:45:46 pm »

Also, you don't need to count how many cards are in your deck.  Order them by cost (cheapest at bottom).  Then cut your deck roughly in half, and flip over the cheaper half.  Now one pile has your cheapest card on top, the other your most expensive.  Now just start discarding equal numbers of cards from each pile, say in chunks of four since can recognize that number intuitively without counting.  Keep doing this until one pile is empty.  Now your median cost is the median cost of what is left, which ought to be small enough to just fan out and see the median readily.
This is basically counting but without keeping track of the number - I don't see how it's better.
On the other hand, gardens makes you count your deck, and it's not big problem. Philosopher's stone also exists.

Anyway, I would definitely say no to median (or mean) of your deck; basically, it makes you have to keep track of every single card you have in your deck to know how much it is worth, and that doesn't sound like fun game to me.

It's better than counting because if someone screams "the chicken is burning" and you have to go extinguish it, and come back, you don't need to keep a number in your head when you come back to finish counting.  That's an issue for me, except it is more like ADD thoughts than actual distractions.

You don't have to keep track of every single card in your deck, it will just give you an advantage to do so, and it increases that advantage more than the edge it already gives you in official Dominion.  Wishing Well and Mystic are out there though.  I feel like if you're a casual player, you'll just kind of wing it and maybe sometimes it will end up being worth 4 when you were hoping for it to be worth 5, and you say, oh poo.  If you're a competitive player, you're probably looking at a goko log anyway.  I personally find Wishing Well more distasteful, playing a Wishing Well, leaving one card left in the deck, and naming the wrong card makes me feel pretty depressed, and at the same time doing the deck tracking necessary to make the hit hurts my head.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 12:54:09 pm »

Cutting the deck in half is OK, you don't need to count off to make sure both halfs are the same size, just put them next to each other on the table and compare height. It's the part where I have to sort all of my cards in cost order that puts me off.

Sorting is probably the slower part, but I think it might be fine.  Consider that in a regular game you'd be sorting everything back into piles anyway.  Now everybody does it separately to start, then after counting you can put everything back to their piles more quickly since they are already sorted.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 04:39:30 pm »

Also, you don't need to count how many cards are in your deck.  Order them by cost (cheapest at bottom).  Then cut your deck roughly in half, and flip over the cheaper half.  Now one pile has your cheapest card on top, the other your most expensive.  Now just start discarding equal numbers of cards from each pile, say in chunks of four since can recognize that number intuitively without counting.  Keep doing this until one pile is empty.  Now your median cost is the median cost of what is left, which ought to be small enough to just fan out and see the median readily.
This is basically counting but without keeping track of the number - I don't see how it's better.
On the other hand, gardens makes you count your deck, and it's not big problem. Philosopher's stone also exists.

Anyway, I would definitely say no to median (or mean) of your deck; basically, it makes you have to keep track of every single card you have in your deck to know how much it is worth, and that doesn't sound like fun game to me.

It's better than counting because if someone screams "the chicken is burning" and you have to go extinguish it, and come back, you don't need to keep a number in your head when you come back to finish counting.  That's an issue for me, except it is more like ADD thoughts than actual distractions.

You don't have to keep track of every single card in your deck, it will just give you an advantage to do so,
Which is why I stipulate "to know how much it's worth".
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.233 seconds with 21 queries.