Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #5: Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Hovel  (Read 138874 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #5: Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Hovel
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2012, 12:22:25 pm »
+4

Anyone have a favorite dark ages card?

Hermit.

Thought it's also fun to say PILLAGE A VILLAGE! *shwack*
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »
+1

Hovel/Overgrown Estate make Trade Route better as an opener - the OE is a perfect trash target, and the Hovel mechanic lets you buy the first Estate without damaging your deck.

Silk Roads are obviously made worse.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »

Basically, if you've got lots of $6+ cards, put in Plats and Colonies.

–1 for misinformation.

How is this misinformation?  That's the general rule I follow.  If I don't have anything over $5 in a kingdom, even if it's all Prosperity, I probably won't put in Platinums and Colonies.

Then that is your house rule, thus misinformation.
The real rule (from the rulebook of Prosperity) has been mentioned above.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:25 pm »

Baron has gotten shafted so hard.
Not to mention Scout!

At least it can still draw the Overgrown Estate. Baron can't discard any of these.

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:51 pm »
+1

Hmmm... my first thought was that BM+X is even stronger with these three cards in your starting deck. 2 Smithies + money is marginally faster thanks to Necropolis, and Hovel can be moved out of the way when you ghit that first province, so that the first province doesn't damage your deck.

This is significant to me, as it means that if BM+X is stronger, then a lot of the funky combos we've been talking about on other previews are going to be edged out, by sheer fact of relative lack of tempo.

Then there's the whole develop/remake thing. Now we've got $1 cards instead of $2 cards, any opening based on trash for benefit / remaking are going to be weaker.

So actually, I'm not convinced that these three cards instead of estate encourage engines. Instead, they up the power of Dominion's most basic winning strategy: BM+X.

It would be nice to see simulations, but I think it's quite a small boost.  You might take a while before you buy a victory point card on a turn where you have a Hovel, and if you only have two Smithies in your deck (as you probably should), it won't be that often that they'll line up with Necropolis.  You might get a single strong early turn.  But I'm still not sure if this means you should get your second smithy much earlier.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:22 pm »
+3

Seems a bit luck-based? I mean, if you open double terminal and pair them with Necro, and opponent doesn't.. And if those terminals are Swindler/Swindler.

I mean, opening with these are totally different story. Well, necropolis mostly.

But is sure going to make Puzzles fun  ;D

Necro diminishes the probability of terminal collision (assuming neither terminal draws) in the first reshuffle hurting you by precisely 1/3.
3/10.

3/10 is precisely 1/3.
And both are equal to pi.

Thanks for the previews!

Do we know / are we allowed to know if the word "Shelter" at the bottom of those cards actually means anything? My guess would be that there are other Dark Age cards that reference "Shelter" cards; if not, why have a special type at all?
I'm there for you.

If no cards referred to Shelters (something as yet unknown), then the point to the type would be, to give the cards a color - in Dominion, having a color indicates having a type (but not vice versa). And they have a color to make them go together, for separating out of your deck and stuff.

Speaking of colors, it's driving my OCD nuts that Necropolis has the red half on the bottom; while the other 2 have the red half on the top. :P
I imagine they tried it, but it looked better this way. But yeah, that was like my first reaction to seeing the 3 cards next to each other as well...

Hmmm... my first thought was that BM+X is even stronger with these three cards in your starting deck. 2 Smithies + money is marginally faster thanks to Necropolis, and Hovel can be moved out of the way when you ghit that first province, so that the first province doesn't damage your deck.

This is significant to me, as it means that if BM+X is stronger, then a lot of the funky combos we've been talking about on other previews are going to be edged out, by sheer fact of relative lack of tempo.

Then there's the whole develop/remake thing. Now we've got $1 cards instead of $2 cards, any opening based on trash for benefit / remaking are going to be weaker.

So actually, I'm not convinced that these three cards instead of estate encourage engines. Instead, they up the power of Dominion's most basic winning strategy: BM+X.
I don't know about this. I mean, part of what makes BM+X faster than some engines is that they have 3 points to start with. The engine player trashes their Estates, so they have to not only split the Provinces, but actually add and extra Duchy just to tie. And Necro also helps engine more than BM since you're more likely to draw it in a hand where you can use it.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2012, 12:50:32 pm »
+4

Seems a bit luck-based? I mean, if you open double terminal and pair them with Necro, and opponent doesn't.. And if those terminals are Swindler/Swindler.

I mean, opening with these are totally different story. Well, necropolis mostly.

Necro diminishes the probability of terminal collision (assuming neither terminal draws) in the first reshuffle hurting you by precisely 1/3.
3/10.

3/10 is precisely 1/3.
Nah. As we all know, pi is exactly 3

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:04 pm »

3/10.

3/10 is precisely 1/3.
Nah. As we all know, pi is exactly 3

That's the reference I was going for but failed at the wording :(

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2012, 12:58:32 pm »

I still think it's possible that shelters give blanket protection against looters. It would make some thematic sense. If your kingdom consists of a ghost town, an abandoned mansion, and a straw hut, there's really nothing to loot.

It would make Hovel in particular make some more sense, not just because Hovel is weak, but also because it gives you a reason to maybe hold onto it, even through the endgame.

I bet at the very least there's one attack that says "Each other player [does some bad thing] or reveals a shelter." or something to that effect.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:30:27 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »
+1

I bet at the very least there's one attack that says "Each other player [does some bad thing] or reveals a shelter." or something to that affect.

The problem with that would be, what if you aren't using shelters? It's the same reason no prosperity cards specifically mention colony/plat. I think there's a decent chance no other card mentions them. Or if it does, it requires them to be used. I could be wrong, but the card would have to function well without shelters in the game too.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:20 pm »
+1

I still think it's possible that shelters give blanket protection against looters. It would make some thematic sense. If your kingdom consists of a ghost town, an abandoned mansion, and a straw hut, there's really nothing to loot.

It would make Hovel in particular make some more sense, not just because Hovel is weak, but also because it gives you a reason to maybe hold onto it, even through the endgame.

I bet at the very least there's one attack that says "Each other player [does some bad thing] or reveals a shelter." or something to that affect.

There is some precedent for this.  While Prosperity cards make no mention of Platinums/Colonies, Apprentice does specifically state what to do with Potions in a cost, which has absolutely no use unless there are Potion cards on the board, which Apprentice is not one.  So it's an expansion specific effect for a card that doesn't have an expansion specific type/cost.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2012, 01:32:45 pm »

There is some precedent for this.  While Prosperity cards make no mention of Platinums/Colonies, Apprentice does specifically state what to do with Potions in a cost, which has absolutely no use unless there are Potion cards on the board, which Apprentice is not one.  So it's an expansion specific effect for a card that doesn't have an expansion specific type/cost.
But how could you defend an attack with a card you might not even be using to play with?

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2012, 01:33:34 pm »

Couldn't you make the case that "Overgrown Estate" is an "Estate" and therefore should work with Baron?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

Couldn't you make the case that "Overgrown Estate" is an "Estate" and therefore should work with Baron?

That's actually a really good idea! I wonder if Donald make a ruling in the rulebook that allowed that.

But even if he did, the likelihood of drawing an Overgrown Estate and a Baron together is very thin.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2012, 01:37:05 pm »

Apprentice's effect is fine without potions. If an Attack can be moated by Shelters, it needs to be strong enough to make it worthwhile despite inconsistency. Then it's too strong without Shelters!

Maybe an Apprentice-like effect where Shelters only have a marginal impact.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2012, 01:37:14 pm »

lol, in Magic, that would actually work. Not Dominion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:59 pm »
+1

That's actually a really good idea! I wonder if Donald make a ruling in the rulebook that allowed that.

But even if he did, the likelihood of drawing an Overgrown Estate and a Baron together is very thin.

I think it's a terrible idea... can I also play Wishing Well, name "Market", and then reveal and draw Grand Market? Can I play Bag of Gold and gain a Fool's Gold on my deck?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2012, 01:40:06 pm »
+2

I do like how with all these post-apocalyptic versions of older cards, they've gotten the original artists to come back.  Ruined Market has the same artist as Grand Market, Pillage has the same artist as Village, and Overgrown Estate has the same artist as the full-card art from the Estate in the Base Cards set.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2012, 01:40:16 pm »
+1

But how could you defend an attack with a card you might not even be using to play with?

How do you defend against an attack if there are no defense cards in the kingdom? You bend over and take it, just like if you don't have Shelters in play.
A man has no signature

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »

I think it's a terrible idea... can I also play Wishing Well, name "Market", and then reveal and draw Grand Market? Can I play Bag of Gold and gain a Fool's Gold on my deck?

But Wishing Well says "Name a card" and so if you name Market, the card you draw either is or is the card "Market" - whether it's a Market is irrelevant. Baron says (IIRC) an Estate, not an Estate card. An Overgrown Estate is clearly an Estate.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

How do you defend against an attack if there are no defense cards in the kingdom? You bend over and take it, just like if you don't have Shelters in play.

I'm talking about an Attack that specifically says "Reveal a Shelter card from your hand, if you don't ______"

That card would be dominant on a Board that disallows Shelters.

But Wishing Well says "Name a card" and so if you name Market, the card you draw either is or is the card "Market" - whether it's a Market is irrelevant. Baron says (IIRC) an Estate, not an Estate card. An Overgrown Estate is clearly an Estate.

Donald is very careful with his wording  ;)

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »

Man, this is definitely NOT your daddy's Dominion!

Huge amount of new elements to add into the game. This expansion is much more advanced than the other ones, I'd wish to know about the other cards sooner.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2012, 01:47:46 pm »
+1

I'm talking about an Attack that specifically says "Reveal a Shelter card from your hand, if you don't ______"

That card would be dominant on a Board that disallows Shelters.

Donald is very careful with his wording  ;)

Baron says "Estate card."

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2012, 01:48:10 pm »

An Overgrown Estate is clearly an Estate.

Clearly it's not:

Baron doesn't know what to do with these.

To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »

I believe it has been long established that "a X" and "a X card" have the same meaning in Dominion. Some attacks say "gain a curse card" while others say "gain a curse." And again, Bag of Gold refers to "a Gold," not "a Gold card." Dominion has always used "X" to mean "a card named "X." Do you think if there's a new card called "Ruined Treasure Map" that Treasure Map would allow you to gain 4 Golds for trashing one?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.