Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #5: Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Hovel  (Read 138693 times)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #5: Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Hovel
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 09:41:10 am »

How do you get 3/10? Here's how I get 1/3, and tell me where I am going wrong: So, for it to mitigate, you already had to have your terminals colliding. So take those two cards as a given. Then you have 3 cards left in your hand, and if one is the necro, it's mitigated.

So far the same. Now you have 3 spots for the Necro, out from 10 remaining, the Necro is equally likely to be at each position, so the probability is 3/10. Or:

The chance of NOT getting the necro is (9/10)*(8/9)*(7/8)=7/10 and 1-7/10 = 3/10.
FTFY. There was one card lying under the table...
Oh hey look, I can't subtract 12-2= 10. I am wondering how I got 9 from this..........

Probably because you also substracted the Necro.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 09:42:49 am »
+1

This is crazy. Dark Ages is looking more and more like the set I most want to play just by itself. It would do really well as a standalone game.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 09:43:02 am »

Seems a bit luck-based? I mean, if you open double terminal and pair them with Necro, and opponent doesn't..

I don't think opening double terminal with Necropolis gets more luck based. I mean, it already is really luck based now: There is a 30.3% risk that two terminals that you bought in turns 1 and 2 collide in turns 3 or 4.
A necropolis in your deck decreases that risk somewhat - which one might even consider as becoming less luck based. In any case, the 'sort' of risk is basically the same as when two opponents open double terminal and one of them has a collision while the other doesn't.

EDIT: Ninja'd, mostly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:09:38 am by Varsinor »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45:24 am »

How do you get 3/10? Here's how I get 1/3, and tell me where I am going wrong: So, for it to mitigate, you already had to have your terminals colliding. So take those two cards as a given. Then you have 3 cards left in your hand, and if one is the necro, it's mitigated.

So far the same. Now you have 3 spots for the Necro, out from 10 remaining, the Necro is equally likely to be at each position, so the probability is 3/10. Or:

The chance of NOT getting the necro is (9/10)*(8/9)*(7/8)=7/10 and 1-7/10 = 3/10.
FTFY. There was one card lying under the table...
Oh hey look, I can't subtract 12-2= 10. I am wondering how I got 9 from this..........

Probably because you also substracted the Necro.
I don't think so, but I am baffled, so hey maybe. I do remember making a similar mistake on a Cal exam in high school (yeah, I remember random things); essentially -X + -X = -3X.
But hey, it is 1/3 in the incredibly precise case that 1 of your two terminals is island, AND you get rid of your hovel with that.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45:56 am »

I was imagining Shelters would at least reference Looters - otherwise, why even have these two card types?  Every other card type is either referenced (Moat reacts to Attacks) or tells you something fundamental about the card.  Durations stay out, Actions are... well... Actions, etc.  What does Looter tell you?  That you should include Ruins?  Well, having Ruins mentioned on the card kinda already does that for you.  And there's really no point in calling these three cards "Shelters" except for the purpose of the rules saying "In this instance, use Shelters."  Dark Ages better have cards that reference Shelters and Looters.  Even if it's just a card that says "When another player plays a Looter, run screaming into the hills," I will be mollified.

With Looters it does matter, because you can (and might want to!) buy a Ruins from the Ruins pile, but the Ruins pile is only available in games with a Looters. This is different than Curses, which are always available.

With Shelters, I already asked this; but I'm guessing we'll see a Dark Ages card that references Shelters. Actually I'd guess that at least one of the other two Looters will.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25710
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:14 am »
+4

Thanks for the previews!

Do we know / are we allowed to know if the word "Shelter" at the bottom of those cards actually means anything? My guess would be that there are other Dark Age cards that reference "Shelter" cards; if not, why have a special type at all?
I'm there for you.

If no cards referred to Shelters (something as yet unknown), then the point to the type would be, to give the cards a color - in Dominion, having a color indicates having a type (but not vice versa). And they have a color to make them go together, for separating out of your deck and stuff.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49:24 am »
+6

Thanks for the previews!

Do we know / are we allowed to know if the word "Shelter" at the bottom of those cards actually means anything? My guess would be that there are other Dark Age cards that reference "Shelter" cards; if not, why have a special type at all?
I'm there for you.

If no cards referred to Shelters (something as yet unknown), then the point to the type would be, to give the cards a color - in Dominion, having a color indicates having a type (but not vice versa). And they have a color to make them go together, for separating out of your deck and stuff.

Speaking of colors, it's driving my OCD nuts that Necropolis has the red half on the bottom; while the other 2 have the red half on the top. :P
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49:55 am »
+9

Oh, hey, guys, can we use this to stop all the speculation that ruined village will give +2 actions? K thanks.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:29 am »

Thanks for the previews!

I'm there for you.

Speaking of colors, it's driving my OCD nuts that Necropolis has the red half on the bottom; while the other 2 have the red half on the top. :P
Just remember, red bottom = good, red top = terrible :D

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:40 am »

Oh, hey, guys, can we use this to stop all the speculation that ruined village will give +2 actions? K thanks.

So you think +1 action?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:45 am »
+3

If no cards referred to Shelters (something as yet unknown)

Says the man who knows very well if there are.  :P
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:06 am »
+2

So you think +1 action?
Yes, of course.
Edit: The 'of course' is just because of the way Donald said things - I don't think it would be so obvious what those 3 benefits would be if they didn't exactly parallel, for all the different vanilla bonuses in the game. And yeah, it's useless 90% of the time, but you know, he did say some were better than others.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:52:27 am by WanderingWinder »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 09:52:01 am »

So you think +1 action?
Yes, of course.

I agree; though I also think that makes it so much worse a card to get than Ruined Market. (Or any of the "basic" ruins).

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:31 am »
+5

So the reason cards that give you +2 actions are called "villages" is because of the idea that you have a village full of people running around and doing stuff for you. A Necropolis is a village of the dead... but somehow it still gives you +2 actions. That's a little creepy.

Do you remember how the Battle of the Pelennor Fields was concluded? ;-)

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 10:01:18 am »
+1

Well... this is a serious nerf for early trash-for-benefit cards, like remake, develop, and so on. I can definitely see the need for Rats now...

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:15 am »

I was thinking an all Dark Ages game would be fun. It's good to see Donald has played it that way too. Is there any other expansion you would play by itself besides base?

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 10:04:54 am »

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish Fairgrounds were two points for every FOUR different cards (not five) or, similarly, one point for every two different cards.

I'm really happy that Fairgrounds is not like this. This would mean that they dominate Provinces in most games as 12 different cards are much more easy to obtain than 15.

I bet that whoever gets 25 different cards in a Dark Ages/Black Market/Fairgounds game and is getting 10 points per Fairgrounds is actually unlikely to win the game.

I accept that bet! 8)
Fairgrounds + Black Market already is an extremely strong combo pre-Dark Ages in Province games (at least unless there are neither villages nor cantrips) and it will certainly get even stronger with Shelters and Ruins.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 10:05:08 am »
+1

I was thinking an all Dark Ages game would be fun. It's good to see Donald has played it that way too. Is there any other expansion you would play by itself besides base?

All of them?  'cept maybe Alchemy, because only having two non-Potion cards just would not be practical.  Fun, but not practical.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2012, 10:05:38 am »

So you think +1 action?
Yes, of course.
Edit: The 'of course' is just because of the way Donald said things - I don't think it would be so obvious what those 3 benefits would be if they didn't exactly parallel, for all the different vanilla bonuses in the game. And yeah, it's useless 90% of the time, but you know, he did say some were better than others.

Proud to have given you your 1000th point of respect on this post.  Didn't even realize, until the flash of movement -- the appearance of another digit -- caught my eye when I hit the up-arrow.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:45 am »

These cards are definitely going to change the landscape of openings and first shuffles. Double terminals will definitely be more common here. Plus, a 5/2 opening with no Actions on the board will often buy an Estate to trash the Hovel - no more wasted $2 turns on your first turn!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:26 am »

So you think +1 action?
Yes, of course.

Proud to have given you your 1000th point of respect on this post.  Didn't even realize, until the flash of movement -- the appearance of another digit -- caught my eye when I hit the up-arrow.
You upvoted THAT? ???

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:51 am »
+1

These cards are definitely going to change the landscape of openings and first shuffles. Double terminals will definitely be more common here. Plus, a 5/2 opening with no Actions on the board will often buy an Estate to trash the Hovel - no more wasted $2 turns on your first turn!

Somehow that still seems like a waste.  Unless you're opening Estate/Baron.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:26 am »
+1

Somehow that still seems like a waste.  Unless you're opening Estate/Baron.
Which seems quite a bad idea with ONE estate in your deck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:32 am »
+1

So you think +1 action?
Yes, of course.

You upvoted THAT? ???

I'm not sure if it's just the higher volume of posters, or just that I'm posting more frequently (or the quality of my posts has increased?  I'm sure WW would disagree), but my respect has jumped about 150 points in just the past week, and I'm still trying to figure out which post is to blame...

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:40 am »
+4

Is anyone else freaking out that Necropolis should be red on the top and not the bottom, to match the other two? Maybe I need to get my OCD checked...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.