Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Treasure Card: Tax  (Read 2439 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Treasure Card: Tax
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:42 am »

I had this funky idea for a card.
I don't really play with fan cards myself, but sometimes I get crazy ideas in my head and I need to get them out so that maybe some other players will like them and play with them.

I think the name Tax may have been used a couple of times before, but I can't come up with anything better.

Tax: $5
Treasure

$1

When you play this, choose one: +$1 for every card that has been gained by a player this turn; or gain a card costing up to $3.

Explanation
It doesn't matter who gained the cards. If you had played a Mountebank in a 4p game and dealt out 3 Curses and 3 Coppers, this card would be worth $7. Hell yeah, it scales hard in multiplayer games with Cursers, but I don't think that breaks the card necessarily; you still need to draw it in the same hand as the Mountebank if you want that combo and you need a +Buy to make full use of it. You could also for instance buy/gain a Cache first and with your regular buy/extra buy and have $3 more to spend. The card needs to self-synergize a bit to not make it worthless in games without gains or +Buys, that's why I added the Workshop-type action. I'm not too good with prices, so if this needs to be $6, it could be $6. It's just that a couple of alternative treasures are at the $5 point too.

Even if no one had gained anything, it would still be at least a Copper.

When you have both this and Horn of Plenty, you can just choose which you want to play first. If you pick HoP you get an extra $ for this card. Or you could gain a card costing more with HoP if you play this first.

I like having it as a Treasure instead of an action so you can always play it. That's why I made it gain only cards that are $3 or less where the cheap villages and cantrips are, so it couldn't be abused that hard.

What do you guys think?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Re: Treasure Card: Tax
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:37:52 pm »

Hmmm, I would say it seems a bit swingy, but until a curser with a +buy comes out, I'm sure it's not too OP. That being said, I think it should be priced at $6. LOVE the idea though.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »

Thanks, I came up with it while thinking about how to make the super pawn better with less choices and eventually ended up with this one.

I don't mind adjustments from more experience designers if I can be sure I won't go back and forth.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »
+1

You could also for instance buy/gain a Cache first and with your regular buy/extra buy and have $3 more to spend.

If I understand you correctly, this won't work for the "buy" case.  Say you play Woodcutter, Silver, Tax for $5 total and 2 buys.  You spend the first buy on Cache. Tax will not suddenly give you an extra $3, because it is calculated on play.  And if you keep Tax in hand with the plan to play it after your first buy, well, you can't.  You play your treasure and then you buy.  You can't play more treasure afterwards (Black Market notwithstanding).

msanders

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:12:55 am »

Thank you very much for sharing your ideas, I appreciated reading everything. I personally have to admit, that when it comes to tax I feel quite lost. But I found a nice website with tax tips and I'm really glad that it helped. It's always important to calculate how much money you need for this and that.

User was banned for this post.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:38:43 am by theory »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:53:52 am »
+2

Whoa, is that our first spambot?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:29 am »

Since Tax provides money on play, not on purchase, in a great many games, this is largely going to be a Copper, even with its catch gaining cards that cost $3. I would remove its crazy multiplayer scaling by having it only count cards you have gained and the player to your left.
Tax

$1
When you play this, Choose one: +$1 for each card you and the player to your left gained this turn; or gain a card costing up to $3
$5 TREASURE
I think this would generally be too weak anyway. There are those fun games where you play Trader to trash a Province and suddenly have a $9 Treasure in your hand, but most of the time this is just a gimped Workshop that produces one coin.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »

Seems to have been an actual person hired to spam.

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 11:20:41 pm »

Seems to have been an actual person hired to spam.
doesn't seem like it. the reference to calculating money seems like it just saw $ and eHalcyon saying "calculate" and algorithmed that out. anyone who read the thread would realize we were not talking anywhere about calculating money.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 11:39:27 pm »

I think the fact the card is called "Tax" supports that argument.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.