Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 64  All

Author Topic: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia (CONGRATULATIONS VOLTGLOSS, aka DEATH)  (Read 166165 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia
« Reply #300 on: August 15, 2012, 11:50:36 am »

I understand why abirds had a negative reaction to this--he's knew; he doesn't know this is just how it goes. I also understand why Volt voted for me in the first place. I don't understand why O, Axxle, and ftl followed suited after the abirds exchange. I mean, it's not that out of character for O, I guess. Mostly Axxle and now ftl.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 15, 2012, 01:18:39 pm »

It's not a troll vote. Your response made no sense... Angrybirds pretty much posted a calm, adequate response to your vote and you reply with "a little jumpy?".

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 15, 2012, 01:21:14 pm »

It's not a troll vote. Your response made no sense... Angrybirds pretty much posted a calm, adequate response to your vote and you reply with "a little jumpy?".

You don't think Abirds saying that I was now on his suspicion list was a little jumpy of him?

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:56 pm »

You don't think Abirds saying that I was now on his suspicion list was a little jumpy of him?

A new player slightly OMGUSing (not even with a vote)? Who ever *heard* of such madness?

I didn't see much of a threat there.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 15, 2012, 01:29:51 pm »

A new player slightly OMGUSing (not even with a vote)? Who ever *heard* of such madness?

Neither did I. Which is why I took my vote off him. Like I said, it didn't make me suspicious of him. I think he's likely newbie town.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 15, 2012, 01:35:16 pm »

As exciting as Robz vs. angrybirds is, something entirely different caught my eye and I think warrants further discussion.

The person who does seem most mafia to me is actually the complete opposite of my previous post, and disagrees with a couple other townspeople.

vote: shraeye

With all of the voting toward lurkers--both in this game and in others--it seem to me that mafia members would be very aware of not lurking. shraeye seems to have an astute enough mind to recognize this and is doing everything to make sure (she/he?) isn't put into the lurker category. I don't buy all of the long, long posts as evidence of town, but perhaps instead is evidence of covering up being mafia.

This is an interesting take, yuma.  My question for you:  Why is shraeye more suspicious to you than sparky?  I have gotten a similar vibe from both shraeye and sparky so far this game - both new players, both verbose - and I have the sense that both of them fit the characterization you've described.  So I am curious to hear why your vote went to shraeye and not sparky.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 15, 2012, 01:36:32 pm »

Neither did I. Which is why I took my vote off him. Like I said, it didn't make me suspicious of him. I think he's likely newbie town.

you unvoted after me/axxle voted for you, not sure why this should effect my stance.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2012, 01:38:58 pm »

Personally, I would like to hear a bit more from Axxle. It felt like he came in, said "Yeah, I see why you might vote for me" and then left again, without really addressing any issues... which is exactly what he was accused of doing in the first place. Making noise without actually saying anything just to "appear" non-lurky.

Axxle?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2012, 01:39:29 pm »

Oh hey, BMMMMMMM is done so we can talk about Morgrim now. Mostly I didn't want to talk about Morgrim because that game had people analyzing the Morgrim wagon trying to find my scumbuddy and I wasn't sure how to honestly say "I like having Morgrim around because he's such a magnet for scum votes at inopportune times" without referencing what was going on in that game.

Hi Morgrim, you can be a conversation topic again.

@eHunt: this is why morgrim hunting on day 1. 

Our case on Axxle is what?  Not very engaged?  I just re-read everything and it seemed like we RVSed for a long time.  I didn't come out of it with any strong reads.

Why did the Galzwagon go away?  Those are my favorites.

The RobZ / Angrybirds thing was weird too.  Vote: RobZ for backing down too quickly.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 15, 2012, 01:48:32 pm »

Nothing to back down from... wasn't suspicious of person... wanted to provoke response... response was fine... 'cept for slight OMGUS...

The point was to get a read on Abirds, who clearly reads newbie town to me at this point. And he told us about Yuma. So I accomplished my goal.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 15, 2012, 02:06:19 pm »

And he told us about Yuma. So I accomplished my goal.

And what did you learn about me, huh?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2012, 02:09:02 pm »

Our case on Axxle is what?  Not very engaged? 

No, my current case on him is his way of redirecting heat.  At the most recent votecount he had 5 votes (that's the most for 1 person so far), and although ftl peels off of him, I would still be worried in his place.  But instead of spending any post-time on himself, Axxle starts prodding at the Robz v. angrybirds nonconflict, seemingly purposely misinterpreting it to make it bigger than it was.  This is the exact thing that happened the first time heat pointed at him.  Galz said he got the worst vibe from Axxle so far (i talked about this in 267), and Axxle immediately jumps over ftl for miscounting things.

Eevee's read on Axxle is that he's not helping town, but still posting(#262).  He's posting a lot, his post count is only bested by ftl.  That's crazy considering that he hasn't done much that seemed productive to me.  The few times he threw his weight around were the above cited times when it felt more like heat-redirecting to me.

Sparky contends that Axxle is really into disproving anyone when the opportunity presents itself instead of really focusing on one issue. (#211 for a more detailed description by sparky)

Galz (#236) cites lack of content in Axxles posts, and lack of the driven scumhunting that he was expecting.  I don't think any of us have main points that Axxle simply isn't engaged.  He's engaged, I feel; but, he's focused on completely the wrong things.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2012, 02:11:00 pm »

And he told us about Yuma. So I accomplished my goal.

And what did you learn about me, huh?

That you collect bouncy balls!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:01 pm »

No seriously, your twinclaimant pointed out that you barely voted in the other games, and you're being more aggressive now. It wasn't revelatory, no, but it jives with what I think of you.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2012, 02:19:39 pm »

This is an interesting take, yuma.  My question for you:  Why is shraeye more suspicious to you than sparky?  I have gotten a similar vibe from both shraeye and sparky so far this game - both new players, both verbose - and I have the sense that both of them fit the characterization you've described.  So I am curious to hear why your vote went to shraeye and not sparky.
Good question

I'm pretty sure I talked about werewolves and the sk in an earlier post. I do think saying mafia when I mean scum is a bad habit, I'll try to fix it.
But also this answer sits with me better than Axxle's dismiss-it-out-of-hand style.  I'm getting a good pro-town vibe from you.  You know who I'm not getting pro-town vibes from at all? Insomniac.

Vote: Insomniac

You want to list any specific examples or quotes to back up your vote?

Or are you simply voting because he isn't "pro-town" instead of voting for "scummy-behavior"?

Because to me there is very little that is more confusing than trying to describe what pro-town is and match it up to real townies.

He's already expressed his disagreement with one of Insomniac's posts.

There was this ^earlier... although sparky did show that shraeye had disagreed with insomniac in the past.

Furthermore, shraeye has been much more active--with much longer posts that were long, but lacked a lot of content--where as sparky's posts have been less active, with some long posts, but not nearly as long or as many. Sparky seems more real, shraeye seems more forced.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2012, 02:19:58 pm »

No seriously, your twinclaimant pointed out that you barely voted in the other games, and you're being more aggressive now. It wasn't revelatory, no, but it jives with what I think of you.

and what do you think of me?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2012, 02:24:55 pm »

Yeah... need to pay more attention. Unvote
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2012, 02:33:50 pm »

Vote: Angrybirds. I will unvote you if you explain to me exactly why you are not mafia, who you think is mafia, and tell us something unique about Yuma, your twinclaim. Yuma is one mafia who always evades us.
Response
A little jumpy?

Backlash

Yeah, okay, really going to focus on this game more. And just in time! A little wagon is building against me.

It looks to me like O and Axxle voted for me because they didn't like my response to angrybirds?

I agree that he did exactly what I asked. I didn't have any problem with his response to my questions--which were just attempting to generate info on a new player I know nothing about anyway. I said, "Jumpy are we?" because he said that I looked more suspicious to him. As far as I can tell, his reason for being suspicious of me was that I had asked him these questions and voted for him. That's textbook OMGUS suspicion, isn't it?

Really, though, I don't think he's scummy. He's just an eager newbie who thought that the right thing to do when someone went after you a bit was to return the favor. So Unvote. But to be clear, I said he was jumpy because he reacted to me voting/questioning him by saying that I was suspicious. Which is jumpy, right?

I'm not quite sure why that caused O and Axxle to vote for me. Well, my cynical answer is that O is just being O, and Axxle wanted to get a wagon going that wasn't his own.

Robz.  Why did you not unvote immediately?  Saying "Jumpy are we?" sounds like a way of trying to get more people to vote for him without explicitly calling out for it.  A scumtell in my book.

Revote: Robz
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2012, 02:40:25 pm »

I find it really hard to "force" people into decisions in Mafia, always because of that uncertainty factor. Everything always seems to feel like "Hey, this seems like the most sense at the moment, let's go for that!" There's so much logic to analyze that you're bound to be wrong somewhere (I'm speaking in general here, not particularly at anyone).

I dunno how long Day 1 should last. When I read Volt's call for votes (#259) I figured it was to seriously cast my vote on who is scum. Rereading it, Robz's vote seems perfectly legit. I did think angrybirds was an odd choice for scum (I've been thinking that he's one of the LEAST suspicious players so far, and Robz too feels the same way), but all Robz wanted to do was see a response, which is exactly what Volt called for. On a side note, I'm gonna be using OMGUS whenever I can now as it's now one of my favorite acronyms  ;D

Robz.  Why did you not unvote immediately?  Saying "Jumpy are we?" sounds like a way of trying to get more people to vote for him without explicitly calling out for it.  A scumtell in my book.

Maybe he wasn't expecting that reaction (specifically the implied FoS), so he reacted more naturally instead of immediately unvoting. idk.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2012, 02:41:30 pm »

Good question

I'm pretty sure I talked about werewolves and the sk in an earlier post. I do think saying mafia when I mean scum is a bad habit, I'll try to fix it.
But also this answer sits with me better than Axxle's dismiss-it-out-of-hand style.  I'm getting a good pro-town vibe from you.  You know who I'm not getting pro-town vibes from at all? Insomniac.

Vote: Insomniac

You want to list any specific examples or quotes to back up your vote?

Or are you simply voting because he isn't "pro-town" instead of voting for "scummy-behavior"?

Because to me there is very little that is more confusing than trying to describe what pro-town is and match it up to real townies.

He's already expressed his disagreement with one of Insomniac's posts.

There was this ^earlier... although sparky did show that shraeye had disagreed with insomniac in the past.
I'm confused, it this just something differentiating me and sparky, or is it a reason I look scummier, having gone after Insomniac for what appeared to me to be suspicious.

Furthermore, shraeye has been much more active--with much longer posts that were long, but lacked a lot of content--where as sparky's posts have been less active, with some long posts, but not nearly as long or as many. Sparky seems more real, shraeye seems more forced.
Again I don't understand, are you saying I don't have much content in my posts (you should reread them if you feel this way) or that the content I have is forced (I have forceful opinions, that's true.  Once I see something suspicious I make sure everyone else sees it too.  But coming up with opinions and suspicions is happening quite naturally)

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2012, 02:45:04 pm »

As for Robz v. angrybirds, I'm not sure what side I come down on.
Saying "Jumpy are we?" sounds like a way of trying to get more people to vote for him without explicitly calling out for it.  A scumtell in my book.
This makes complete sense to me, but maybe Robz got slightly more suspicious of angrybirds due to the response and wanted to see if anyone else felt that way too.  Still, that non-explicit call for more votes sits weirdly.  I like to be completely explicit with my opinions.  But I can't stop something in the back of my head from also thinking this.
Maybe he wasn't expecting that reaction (specifically the implied FoS), so he reacted more naturally instead of immediately unvoting. idk.

Regardless I think all of this is less important than the continued unanswered 4-person accusations on Axxle.

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »

Wait a minute.

Continuing where I last left off... I find it odd that Axxle revotes Robz for not unvoting quickly enough...

The RobZ / Angrybirds thing was weird too.  Vote: RobZ for backing down too quickly.

Whereas HERE Captain_Frisk votes Robz because he unvoted TOO quickly. Inconsistencies bother me. What to make of this... anyone want to jump on this or does this mean nothing?

And another wait a minute. Saying that shraeye's posts don't have much content warrants some explaining, I agree. 

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2012, 02:54:07 pm »

Wait a minute.

Continuing where I last left off... I find it odd that Axxle revotes Robz for not unvoting quickly enough...

Whereas HERE Captain_Frisk votes Robz because he unvoted TOO quickly. Inconsistencies bother me. What to make of this... anyone want to jump on this or does this mean nothing?

And another wait a minute. Saying that shraeye's posts don't have much content warrants some explaining, I agree.

The main thing to glean from this is that Robz's choices of either staying the course or unvoting does not imply scuminess. Both can be called out as scummy actions from different people, and both scum and town are known to do both actions.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 15, 2012, 03:02:25 pm »

The main thing to glean from this is that Robz's choices of either staying the course or unvoting does not imply scuminess. Both can be called out as scummy actions from different people, and both scum and town are known to do both actions.
I'm probably biased on this because I still have my scumread on Axxle, but does this act in a vaccuum (if it happened when Frisk, Robz, Axxle, angry all had neutral reads) cast any suspicion on Frisk or Axxle?  Like they're trying too hard to attach scumminess to natural actions and create suspicion around a character.  It's a catch-22 forcing Robz into scumminess for either choice. Would this be more or less suspicious by Frisk/Axxle if Robz currently was looking very towny or very scummy? 

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 15, 2012, 03:05:54 pm »

I'm probably biased on this because I still have my scumread on Axxle, but does this act in a vaccuum (if it happened when Frisk, Robz, Axxle, angry all had neutral reads) cast any suspicion on Frisk or Axxle?  Like they're trying too hard to attach scumminess to natural actions and create suspicion around a character.  It's a catch-22 forcing Robz into scumminess for either choice. Would this be more or less suspicious by Frisk/Axxle if Robz currently was looking very towny or very scummy?

Possible. It could also mean that F.DS mafia is chalk full of terrible mafia play in general  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 64  All

Page created in 2.029 seconds with 21 queries.