Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64  All

Author Topic: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia (CONGRATULATIONS VOLTGLOSS, aka DEATH)  (Read 165571 times)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »

(that was in response to insomniac's
I had a post here about Morgrim, but I deleted it, as Morgrim is a pertinent topic of current conversation in the Murder Mystery Mafia.

uhh you deleted a post?
not you eevee)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2012, 05:02:34 pm »

Ok - we're far enough in that RVS is no longer fun. 

Unvote

Morgrim - Please be smart though.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

angrybirds

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2012, 06:11:46 pm »

i think i am posting often enough, not as much as others just enough to say what i want to say
do people have things they want me to talk about?
my vote is staying on Galz, he seems mafialike to me

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2012, 07:23:18 pm »

Let's not talk about Morgrim.

Ok, I am done, but I would like him to respond more... That is it, I won't mention him again all game unless I actually find him scummy.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »

Talk about why, specifically, Galz seems mafia-like to you. Do you have any particular quotes of his that stood out to you as mafia-like?

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »

that was at angrybirds.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2012, 07:25:40 pm »

I can't talk about myself.  :(
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2012, 07:29:05 pm »

I can't talk about myself.  :(

Ever? or now? Because your voting w/o explanation isn't new in this game. So if it is a restriciton, it is an aptly applied restriction that merely reflects your previous play styles. (if true, nice one cayvie)

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2012, 07:29:57 pm »

I think he meant that I was shutting down Morgrim discussion...

...and by trying to do that I've started Morgrim discussion...

...dammit.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2012, 07:31:15 pm »

...dammit.

how I feel... now I am really, seriously done here.

angrybirds

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2012, 07:36:52 pm »

#1: My rapid fire posts were my first of the game. They were serious in that seeing different reactions is always interesting

As my first posts though, they were essentially there for RVS purposes... I wanted to have fun.

All that said, yeah, they were serious.
is it serious, is it not serious, is it serious, i can't tell
#2: I'm looking like someone who wants to appear town... Well, sure. I mean, I'm not playing with the goal of saying "look at me! I'm town!", but certainly wanting to appear town is not exactly a scumtell.

Personally I believe that "naturally" looking like town is infinitely easier for scum, who come into the game with a certain amount of confidence that their "reads" can never exactly be wrong.
he seems to be one of the more confident players around

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2012, 07:49:59 pm »

Alright, I just got myself caught up. There is surprisingly little... but... if anybody stands out to me right now it's Axxle. His posts just seem to lack any real content, and there's a whole lot of joking mixed in. Axxle is usually a lot more driven towards pushing for scumhunting. I remember an Axxle from games past who would link useful articles about how to avoid RVS, and how to scumhunt with some efficiency D1 (at least, above average). Yes, that Axxle got himself lynched D1, and yes, that Axxle was town, so YES, I must consider the possibility that Axxle is just trying to not care quite so much and lay low...

But using the Mod'ing of another game and staying present only through light humor and nothing substantial seems slightly off-beat compared to town Axxle's of the past. So FoS: Axxle for now. I'd like to see more (serious) engagement from him.

Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:09 pm »

unvote , btw. With angrybirds suspecting Galz, if he votes that would be 5 votes on Galz, and I don't want 5 votes on Galz yet.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:53 pm »

unvote , btw. With angrybirds suspecting Galz, if he votes that would be 5 votes on Galz, and I don't want 5 votes on Galz yet.

It's a 16 player game.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2012, 08:14:59 pm »

I'm getting a bad feeling from FTL.  He wanted to pressure Galz... and now doesn't want to pressure Galz a very short time afterwards.  It feels like he's giving the impression of scumhunting but is getting paranoid of voting for his scumbuddy.  I'm fine with my vote on Galz or FTL at this juncture.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:46 pm »

Galzria (4): O, angrybirds, Axxle, ftl

From last vote count; I dont' think angrybirds has unvoted since then. FOS:FTL (first time ever using that)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 13, 2012, 08:38:45 pm »

Galzria (4): O, angrybirds, Axxle, ftl

From last vote count; I dont' think angrybirds has unvoted since then. FOS:FTL (first time ever using that)
Oh, that was the order of the votes? I'm actually good with:
Vote: FTL
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 13, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »

sparky, post more!

Heh. I actually think I've been doing rather well so far, I'm proud of myself for being as active as I have been haha. I've waited all day Sunday for replies with barely any (I did respond to shraeye's concerns about the math), and then as I go to sleep the thread explodes with over a page of posts.

One theory that I developed over the years that may be completely bonkers is that longer posts = pro-town. It means that you're putting more effort into protecting the good guys. With mafia, it's hard to do that.

Hah! For me, it felt like the other way around. When I was mafia, I felt like I'd write long screeds, because I'd have to double-check everything and make sure my words were solid and didn't have anything that could be misinterpreted as a scumslip and so on.

Whereas as town, I'm much more okay with just throwing out a short post saying something, because I know I won't accidentally reveal myself as scum because I'm not!

It might be a personality thing.

Yeah, might just be a personality thing. What I feel is just my personal experience. You are right though about the double-checking part. Because I've been mafia more often than not and I can certainly understand. I'm finding it hard to understand the bit about town though; maybe it's because I've been town less often. Certainly it's easier to defend yourself if accused because you can defend yourself genuinely. What I believe townies should be doing is actually hunting the scum, and less about covering their own skin. Because do the former, and the latter should follow suit. This is my first game here so we'll see if my theory holds.

I've seen plenty of games where scum was nailed Day 1.
How did they doooooooo it :( we've never had that yet here on f.ds :(

Well, I remember one was pure luck XD one was because the mafia made some major-slipups on Day 1 (such as rushing people into making careless votes). And the entire mafia games over there would be as long as this thread is now...

Personally I believe that "naturally" looking like town is infinitely easier for scum, who come into the game with a certain amount of confidence that their "reads" can never exactly be wrong. Town members on the other hand look around and see potential scum in every player on the list. Because of this, there's an inherent desire to want to be trusted and it comes across as unnatural. It's a large part of the reason f.DS has yet to lynch Mafia D1. Town just looks so much more uncomfortable, and thus scummy.

So, according to this, we should go for who appears to be the most comfortable and on top of the game?

It's sad because it feels like a reverse policy lynch, you lynch whoever knows what they're talking about and you're left with like the lurkers and Morgrim and the rest of the lost people. It might work better than what we've been doing here on f.ds but if feels so wrong...

...so now I'm thinking, maybe we should approach Day 1 differently, and not make it like 50 pages? I've always considered Day 1 to be Stab-In-The-Dark Day; we don't know much information yet. I realize the whole point of carrying out discussion is to try to find someone who slips up and go for them. But, and this is with this game especially because we have no idea what the roles are, we quite frankly don't know much yet. Would more be revealed by seeing who the night victims are? And maybe for Day 1, go for...
the lurkers and Morgrim and the rest of the lost people.
...because leaving the talkative ones in will leave more light to be shed on all the discussions. So, what's best?

So, according to this, we should go for who appears to be the most comfortable and on top of the game?

That might contradict with what I just said. But for Day 1 only, maybe going for the "lost people" is better, and hold on to what I previously said for later days, when we have less people.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 13, 2012, 09:46:27 pm »

Vote Count
shark_bait (1): yuma
Galzria (1): angrybirds
Insomniac (3): shraeye, Voltgloss, Morgrim7
Captain_Frisk (1): ehunt
Voltgloss (1): O
ftl (1): Axxle

with 16 alive, it's 9 to lynch.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 13, 2012, 09:58:59 pm »

I'm getting a bad feeling from FTL.  He wanted to pressure Galz... and now doesn't want to pressure Galz a very short time afterwards.  It feels like he's giving the impression of scumhunting but is getting paranoid of voting for his scumbuddy.  I'm fine with my vote on Galz or FTL at this juncture.

Yeah, I intended to pressure him by being the third vote on him. And then I ended up being the fourth, because you voted while I was going to. ...and then he disappeared for a while and it didn't feel like pressure because there was nothing going on with the wagon, and then it sounded like angrybirds was going to be a fifth vote and I was like "hmm, 5 votes is a little much" so I unvoted.

And now there's no more wagon on galz and I still know nothing about him, got a town vibe of angrybirds though.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2012, 10:46:56 pm »

I don't agree that five is too many votes. To me "too many votes" means "dangerous because scum or a foolish townie can kill without discussion." That's unlikely to happen since scum have a great incentive to scum-hunt well when there are multiple scum-factions. I think until someone's at L-2, it's wrong to back down.

The reason FTL doesn't want to be vote five is that being vote number five can really call attention to you when someone says "hey, this wagon grew too fast." In other words, even though there are no strategic reasons not to want five votes on someone, there are survivalist reasons for any individual player not to provide that fifth vote.

Now, in my opinion, survivalism is not scummy, so I can't be too upset at FTL over this. Every good townie will try to survive as hard as possible (as will every good scum-player), except that townies shouldn't lie to survive.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 13, 2012, 10:48:55 pm »

I wasn't going to be the fifth vote I was already the fourth and decided not to be

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 13, 2012, 11:59:09 pm »

Ok so I'm going to try to clear up the whole thing regarding me. When I saw Volt's question about suit claiming I thought about it a lot and the thoughts that went through my head were:

1) There isn't really a good way to conceal the major arcana, arbitrarily claiming a suit is just bad news.

2) Ok so what are we hoping to get out of a suit claim, limiting scum fakeclaims. I investigated the suits to see what they could tell us, I noted that Cups and Pentacles are Mafia related and that Wands Swords are werewolf related.

3) I thought about how we could use that information I noted above to benefit town, surely there was a way to engineer a claim that would reveal if there was an additional scum faction, not only would this be useful information but if there are 2 scum factions, the scum teams will scum hunt and take pot shots at each other like they did in MVI this is obviously a good thing based on the fact that all 3 scum factions were obliterated in MVI

4) A thought came into my head what if one or two people voluntarily claimed Cups/Pentacles or Wands/Swords, this would reveal the presence of one scum faction, then another one or two people could voluntarily claim the presence of the other suit. The problem with this is that a scum faction might claim the opposing suits just to sow confusion.

5) I made a post detailing in essence 2-4 and that because scum could use it to sow confusion I was going to be against mass claim. Then cayvie confirmed the presence of a SK which I hadn't noted as a possibility. I figured if cayvie was willing to out the presence of a SK then we might as well wait on the suit claim because the wind might reveal it for us without having to allow the mafia the chance to sow confusion. So I changed my post to say so

6) Later when questioned I thought I had posted my original thinking instead of the modified one after the mod confirmed a SK, since I'm in a lot of mafia games right now I didn't think to look back and check and just assumed I had made the first one since thats the one I had put most of my thought into I recalled making it, when in fact I had not.

I do appologize for the confusion it caused I hope this post clears it up.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2012, 03:47:45 am »

Argg! This is a dificult game, man

@Insomniac, post #247 clears you of most of the problems in my head, your first response in 63 sounded like you were tryin to write something huge , and then cayvie's post popped up and made obsolete some of the things you were saying.  There is only one deal left and that is point four in #247.  You are clearly assuming that if 2 people say "I have cups" then we definitely have Mafia.  What?? Thast' crazy talk.  tehre are plenty of nonmafia roles in every suit (i still dont know how we could get anyone to voluunteer, it seems that if 2 ppl claim cups you assume there is mafia, so one of themhas to be it--no town, mafia, ww, or other will jump infront of that gun).  So i'm feeling more like you are with me these days,and are just confused about probability, or something like that.  So i'm rereading everyingn to see who I would switch my bvote to and golly, this is a diffcult game! I'm flippin/ paranoid of everybody! (ow, just accidently punched ans endtqble!!) it turns out that i even type with big gestureso, and not jsut talk withthem.

recently ftl gag seems exactly like a mistake to me; not scummy slipupmisake, because it's way too ridiculous to not be a brainfart/total slip.  I'm expecting a scummy ftl to find a way to nonchalontly pull off of Galz and onto whatever bandwagon might work. A town ftl probably wouldn't want to stay on a galz wagon just because he hasn't been posting as muh as usual, thats just a flimsy reason.  the difference is how he does it.  ftl misses O's voteswitch to voltglosss (galz now at 3) gets worried that angry will be a new bote on Galz DESPITE FTL being teh guy who asked angrybird to explain why galz seems scummy enough tokeep his voet there.  Then enter ehunt, with really strange analysis with not wanting to be the 5th voter. is 5th voter a thing?? ?? that sounds stupid.  also, in a hilarious comedy of errors, ftl was never worried about being the 5th vote he was incorrectly not wanting to be 4th of 5 when he would have actually been 3 of 3 if he had stayed.  I disagree with Axxles suspicoun over ftl's flipflop on galz pressure.  he wanted a bandwagon to see what happened.  nothing happend. Now he's reasssessing players and he says "i don't want 5 on galz".  i agree, i also gonot want galz to be lynched, he's giving me complete null reads, and I want to lynch someoen who i read as sucm.

here's the real deal guys. i realized taht people who are not scum hunting, or are trying to look hunty without actually doing it are just playing badyly. with teh multiple factions, those old tells aren't hte same.  EVERYBODY wants to scumhunt now.  it's even beetter to be scumhunting as scum because the people you suspect/find coudl only ever be at best (when a scumtell is spoton) a competng scum faction, or if you're wrong it's a townie, there's no way to fail for them.  now me, i'm terrified at failing, and i suspect if we go back and read tings, which i'll do tomorrwo when i sober up, those who area the most terrified are probably more likely to be town.  So damn, that sentence makes me recondier Galz, who sparky keeps saying is confident.  but it's different confidence maybe, i mean, im loking for someone who is scared of voting ofr the wrong person, not someone who is scared of being voted for--those guys are my town reads, or will be, or mightnot if i can't tell whose sufficiently scared.

but wait, sparky is on my list of suspicious dudes right now, even though he was almost on my certain-town list a while ago. check this, he started off by asking "why dont major arcana just claim?" in #83 and I had him explain it.  that was back in everyfuckingslipupis ascumtell-shraeye days.  but it's not, mistakes happen too, and if i inspect hard enoguh i bet i can find some of MY posts that don't sit well with me for some reason.  but the question we need to ask is why did this mistake happen, and was it relevent.  so here i go with some analysis on spartky.
He explained his reason for saying that in #100, but
here's my reasoning. I initially found Volt's query unnecessarily complex. Once you suit claim, there's automatically a possibility you're Major Arcana
is weird. voltgloss's query wasnt complex, and the auto-possibility doesn't come after a suitclaim.  it came when we started this game.  when you sort MajorA into suits, of course theres a possibility that a particluar card from one suit is a MajorA, that's not news or a reason for anything. But he does say he eventually realized that people will be watching you more closely so it's hard.  why wouldn't he immediately realize that people will watch the major arcana for scumminess, maybe because he personal is not trying to assess whether they're scum, jsut what they can do to jack up his faciton's plans, since any major arcana he doens't already know about will definitely be an enemy and is super killable.  for us townies, when a major arcana comes out, we STILL don't know if we want them dead because they might be on our side and our only real chance of overcoming 3 mafia facions.
NExt, he makes some regular hunty posts, with no town/scum reads to them.  but in 155 before i can explain why i voted insomniac in the first place he says
He's already expressed his disagreement with one of Insomniac's posts.
Here was my "disagreement":
If you want something more interesting to discuss look at this post:
So I was gonna say that the main benefit of suit claiming might be to discern if we are dealing with one or two scum factions but perhaps the wind will tell us so I'm going to be against suit claiming
where Insomniac posits that suit-claiming will let us know how many factions we are dealing with.  Protip: it won't tell us anything unless either wands/swords or pentacles/cups had no claimers since we have no good way to tell or suspect that a particular suitclaim is scum.  Maybe he and his scummates were planning to claim in the other suits (all WW wands move to Cups, all WW Swords move to Pentacles, as an example) and make it look like there was one less faction.  No real evidence here, only a bit of food for thought.
Says Insomniac is incorrect, makes seemingly baseless-galz-style accusation, says this isn't really strong evidence.  MAN, that's not disagreement (the fact that i did have personal disagreement with Insomniac's post is irelevent beause that fact only became public in post #159) why were you trying to escalate me against insomniac? sounds like you KNOW insomniac is not on your team.

HEre's what really gets me; sparky posts "What, what, and what? Why should we have exactly 2 deaths? " does it sound like anyone else that he's too concerned about how many deaths there will be.  the exact number of deaths is that last thing on earth that is terrifying me right now.  but it might be of much more concern to someone who has an influence over nightdeaths.

Well slap me with a wrench, i went to look at the next post
One theory that I developed over the years that may be completely bonkers is that longer posts = pro-town. It means that you're putting more effort into protecting the good guys. With mafia, it's hard to do that. Moreover, if mafia just try to disprove anyone whenever the opportunity presents itself, instead of putting their thoughts into one specific issue, it gives them more room into faking innocence. Someone who fits this bill perfectly, is Axxle. His posts seem to be all over the map, and they don't add much.
well, i don't know if in general long posts mean pro-town/anti-town but yeah, it does indicate more effort into hunting.  but in this game EVERYONE wants to hunt!  This post makes me go"ohsnap" i have the wrong read on him". it just feels very genuinely allscumhunty.

Like sparky, axxle, you i also suspect. but this post is gettin enourmous. like my tiredness. so don't jump on that last bit till i can clairify. in the mronign. or afternoon when i wake up.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2012, 03:54:23 am »

sorry I haven't posted much

GOKO f5 took over my entire day today
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64  All

Page created in 2.429 seconds with 20 queries.