Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 64  All

Author Topic: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia (CONGRATULATIONS VOLTGLOSS, aka DEATH)  (Read 165703 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2012, 02:25:51 pm »

Yeah, scum not wanting to kill is super super rare, and never happens this early in the game. I suggest we cross that bridge when we get there, I would assume we are dealing with two scum teams and a single serial killer (and a vig or two for town) though.

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2012, 02:57:57 pm »

What, what, and what?

Robz, the mod confirmed there is at least one SK.

Right, so we should have 2 deaths, and then maybe a 3rd if Vig or something. But ftl said 2 deaths would mean no Sk...

Why should we have exactly 2 deaths? The odds of there being that a Mafia and Werewolf faction exist is pretty high. Let me see if I got calculations right; if I'm reading over The Deck correctly, there's 8 Werewolf Roles out of a possible 52 Minor Arcana Roles, which there's 14 of, given 2 Major Arcana roles. The probability of there NOT having Werewolves in this game is (44/52)*(41/51)*...*(31/39) [14 fractions, one for each role selection NOT werewolf] is approx. 6.5%. Doing the same process for mafia, I'm getting a 4.4% chance that there's no mafia. But of course, what mafia game wouldn't have mafia. Still, if we subtract each from 100%, we get 93.5% and 95.6% chances of there having Werewolf and Mafia factions in this game, respectively. Multiplying them gives about an 89% chance that both factions are in this game. And all of that isn't even including the Major Arcana. There could be scum roles there too, although that's impossible to calculate given no real information on them.

Therefore, assuming all night kills are successful, then there will mostly likely be 3 (or more) deaths over the night. There exists a CHANCE of 2 deaths occurring, but it's not guaranteed. Which is why I'm confused that there should be 2 deaths.

Math is fun.

If one person from the mafia aligned suits voluntarily claimed and one from the other suits voluntarily claimed it would prove that there were multi factions, but the scum could use it to game the town. Additionally there isn't really a good way to handle the major arcana. Hence I came out against suit claiming.

Let me try to make sense of this. Let's say that I claim, Pentacles. 5/13 chance of being Mafia. Then, someone else claims "one from the other suits". Okay, so this is Cups, Wands, or Swords. They claim Cups, let's say. No Werewolves there. So, how would this prove that there are multiple factions? Maybe you meant that if one claims Cups/Pentacles, another claims Wands/Swords, or something like that. But wouldn't it be important to make that distinction?  ???

And I don't think the opposing factions would want to work together, each faction is trying to win on their own. Moreover, they are capable of killing each other, when most Town roles can't, so they pose more of a threat.

I've already expressed my opinions on handling the Major Arcana. Just mentioning it in one sentence doesn't really add a lot.

Quote from: Insomniac on August 11, 2012, 03:34:40 pm
I never said we should suit claim I was saying a select few claiming could reveal if there are multiple factions. Quite the contrary I oppose suit claiming especially en masse
Well he had never made a select few/en masse distinction before despite this claim.  Also, he makes it sound like he's now very opposed to something he previously suggested he was for.  Convenient switch now that consensus has come out that town doesn't want suitclaims.

I fail to see the argument here. Why does the lack of few/en masse distinction beforehand matter? And I will concede that his original post (post #5 to you) is ambiguous to determine why he's against suit claims, but he did mention it in the end. He never switched.

And btw, I've never chosen to <no kill> whenever I was mafia, as I failed to see the logic in that. There could be a few reasons I suppose, but I'm not experienced enough in this game to give a full explanation.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2012, 09:25:30 pm »

Robz, the mod confirmed there is at least one SK.

Right, so we should have 2 deaths, and then maybe a 3rd if Vig or something. But ftl said 2 deaths would mean no Sk...

I was wrong. We have modconfirmed the presence of an SK. We have a high probability of at least 1 werewolf and at least 1 mafia, so I expect 3 kills at night. 4 is possible if we have a vigilante.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2012, 09:30:12 pm »

In the games of forum mafia that have gone on so far, there's never been a 'no kill' choice by scum. There've been times where nobody died due to doctors or jailkeepers, but never due to direct mafia inaction.

Usually, the amount of confusion mafia add by a no-kill not worth the extra days for town to lynch and extra nights for power roles to investigate.

So if we get too few kills for the expected setup (less than three), I would assume that means that either we got lucky doctoring, lucky jailkeeping, or mafia/werewolves/sk targeted the same person.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2012, 09:31:16 pm »

Wait, how on earth would 'a select few' claiming give us knowledge as to whether there are multiple factions or not?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2012, 10:14:11 pm »

Why should we have exactly 2 deaths? The odds of there being that a Mafia and Werewolf faction exist is pretty high. Let me see if I got calculations right; if I'm reading over The Deck correctly, there's 8 Werewolf Roles out of a possible 52 Minor Arcana Roles, which there's 14 of, given 2 Major Arcana roles. The probability of there NOT having Werewolves in this game is (44/52)*(41/51)*...*(31/39) [14 fractions, one for each role selection NOT werewolf] is approx. 6.5%. Doing the same process for mafia, I'm getting a 4.4% chance that there's no mafia. But of course, what mafia game wouldn't have mafia. Still, if we subtract each from 100%, we get 93.5% and 95.6% chances of there having Werewolf and Mafia factions in this game, respectively. Multiplying them gives about an 89% chance that both factions are in this game. And all of that isn't even including the Major Arcana. There could be scum roles there too, although that's impossible to calculate given no real information on them.

Therefore, assuming all night kills are successful, then there will mostly likely be 3 (or more) deaths over the night. There exists a CHANCE of 2 deaths occurring, but it's not guaranteed. Which is why I'm confused that there should be 2 deaths.

Math is fun.
Whoa. This math frightens me.  First off, we don't know the alignment of any Major Arcana, so this will introduce unavoidable error in the probabilities.  Secondly, the draws were random, but cayvie reserved the right to balance the game after draws, so some theoretically obtainable results will not occur.  Also, why did P(no mafia)=0.044?  It seems like there are 8 mafia roles and 8 werewolf roles unless I really don't know what some of cayvie's list means.  Next, don't multiply P(mafia exist)*P(werewolves exist) to get P(both exist) because they aren't independent events. 

So what we really calculate is P(mafia AND werewolf) supposing that Major Arcana are not aligned with those factions, and cayvie did not rebalance regardless of results.  To do this we'll need to work out conditional probability for P(mafia exists GIVEN THAT werewolves exist), but I'm not really eager to post deep calculations.  Bonus points for anyone who also reaches this number (man, I should ask my class this question!):
Assuming no Major Arcana are scum-aligned, P(both mafia AND werewolves exist)=P(werewolves)*P(mafia|werewolves)=.935*.903=.844.

Regardless I fully agree with both of your conclusions. Math is fun! Also, there is a high percentage of two factions and 3 or more deaths.  Some people seem more obviously towny than others so may make good targets.  So I also suspect that two kills on one person is a significant possibility.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2012, 10:53:16 pm »

Ok, thats enough to convince me. Vote: Insomniac

Why do you never have unique information to add to a game? Why why why?
Morgrim I want a response to this.

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »

Whoa. This math frightens me.  First off, we don't know the alignment of any Major Arcana, so this will introduce unavoidable error in the probabilities.  Secondly, the draws were random, but cayvie reserved the right to balance the game after draws, so some theoretically obtainable results will not occur.  Also, why did P(no mafia)=0.044?  It seems like there are 8 mafia roles and 8 werewolf roles unless I really don't know what some of cayvie's list means.  Next, don't multiply P(mafia exist)*P(werewolves exist) to get P(both exist) because they aren't independent events. 

So what we really calculate is P(mafia AND werewolf) supposing that Major Arcana are not aligned with those factions, and cayvie did not rebalance regardless of results.  To do this we'll need to work out conditional probability for P(mafia exists GIVEN THAT werewolves exist), but I'm not really eager to post deep calculations.  Bonus points for anyone who also reaches this number (man, I should ask my class this question!):
Assuming no Major Arcana are scum-aligned, P(both mafia AND werewolves exist)=P(werewolves)*P(mafia|werewolves)=.935*.903=.844.

Regardless I fully agree with both of your conclusions. Math is fun! Also, there is a high percentage of two factions and 3 or more deaths.  Some people seem more obviously towny than others so may make good targets.  So I also suspect that two kills on one person is a significant possibility.

P(no mafia)=0.044, because there's 9 mafia roles counting the spy. Although, he wouldn't have much of a purpose if mafia didn't exist, so probably we should leave him out of the calculations. And "P(both mafia AND werewolves exist)=P(werewolves)*P(mafia|werewolves)" does make a lot more sense. I just love to jump into math without thinking whenever I find the opportunity to use it  ;D

We still arrived at the same basic conclusions though. And yes, the unavoidable error due to the Major Arcana is unfortunate.

How often do we get a vote count?

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2012, 11:14:32 pm »

Vote Count
Morgrim7 (1): Captain_Frisk
shark_bait (1): yuma
Galzria (4): O, angrybirds, Axxle, ftl
Insomniac (2): shraeye, Voltgloss, Morgrim7

with 16 alive, it's 9 to lynch.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2012, 11:19:44 pm »

I would like to say that I plan on doing upping my game.  After poor showings in BMMMMM1 and RMM1 and my recent death in BMIV, I'm done with that style of mafia.  The new and improved shark_bait is here.  And yes ehunt, I am already starting to get quite aware of some players' idiosyncrasies.  Hopefully that will help me in this game.

So by upping your game do you mean to continue to be lurky and not post?

Yes I am pressing you again (you think I would have learned my lesson when you ended up being cop in BMM1), but I guess I haven't. But then again, neither have you!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2012, 04:35:37 am »

I apologize for the delay. I'm trying to get caught up everywhere but I'm exhausted. I see I have 4 votes on me? Exciting times! Still, those of you waiting for answers will need to wait a little bit longer. I need to catch some Zzz's (and trust me, they've been elusive). Luckily, other games should be moving into Night soon, so I should have time to catch up on all (...8? >.>) pages here tomorrow.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2012, 04:46:38 am »

I apologize for the delay. I'm trying to get caught up everywhere but I'm exhausted. I see I have 4 votes on me? Exciting times! Still, those of you waiting for answers will need to wait a little bit longer. I need to catch some Zzz's (and trust me, they've been elusive). Luckily, other games should be moving into Night soon, so I should have time to catch up on all (...8? >.>) pages here tomorrow.
obvscum.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2012, 04:48:13 am »

In the games of forum mafia that have gone on so far, there's never been a 'no kill' choice by scum.
I just finished a game on mafiascum where the SK chose not to kill, a very interesting choice in a closed setup.  We had no idea that there was an SK until the mafia killed him by accident.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2012, 05:00:18 am »

So what we really calculate is P(mafia AND werewolf) supposing that Major Arcana are not aligned with those factions, and cayvie did not rebalance regardless of results. 

Cayvie said she would rebalance if it was obviously imbalanced.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2012, 07:42:02 am »

Galz looks reeal scummy, but I think my vote is staying on Insomniac. For now.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2012, 07:48:00 am »

Galz looks reeal scummy

Why do you think Galz looks real scummy?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:07 am »

He's been awfully quiet, (something he doesn't normally do) and when he does say something, its like this:

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2012, 08:57:33 am »

Ok, thats enough to convince me. Vote: Insomniac

Why do you never have unique information to add to a game? Why why why?
Morgrim I want a response to this.

Morgrim! You are online now and you were earlier after I posted this. Do you have a mod-restriction that doesnt' allow you to answer my questions?

Please answer

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2012, 09:12:22 am »

I have a modrestriction that doesn't allow me to answer your (specificly you[also Captain_Frisk's]) questions.

JK. /sarcasam

Why do I never have unique info to add? I let you guys do the hard thinking, and choose which case is better. But is someone really jumps out to me as scum, I'll vote for that person.

Mad, I tell you.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2012, 09:41:20 am »

I have a modrestriction that doesn't allow me to answer your (specificly you[also Captain_Frisk's]) questions.

JK. /sarcasam

Why do I never have unique info to add? I let you guys do the hard thinking, and choose which case is better. But is someone really jumps out to me as scum, I'll vote for that person.

I have a very strong case against someone who consistently displays anti-town behavior, but you'll have to trust me.  Just vote for who I vote for - and all will be ok when that person flips.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2012, 09:54:11 am »

JK. /sarcasam

I have a very strong case against someone who consistently displays anti-town behavior, but you'll have to trust me.  Just vote for who I vote for - and all will be ok when that person flips.

In the spirit of our theme, allow me to predict the future:

Quote from: Morgrim
Sounds good
Quote from: Captain_Frisk
Vote: Morgrim
Quote from: Morgrim
Vote: Morgrim

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2012, 10:18:13 am »

@Volt - I'm already voting for morgrim - you don't need to fake quote it.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2012, 10:34:19 am »

@Volt - I'm already voting for morgrim - you don't need to fake quote it.

I tried to predict the future, but I only predicted the past!

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2012, 10:35:25 am »

vote: Captain_Frisk. Morgrim-hunting is a scumtell.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2012, 10:38:19 am »

vote: Captain_Frisk. Morgrim-hunting is a scumtell.

It's got its own full article on the mafiascum wiki and everything!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 64  All

Page created in 1.918 seconds with 20 queries.