Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: How Dark Ages affects existing... things  (Read 42871 times)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
Re: How Dark Ages affects existing... things
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 08:02:19 pm »
+2

Topic title edited because it was really bothering my OCD.

I guess that error would affect your OCD.

:):):)

We wouldn't want to negatively effect you're OCD. That would just be mean.

Oh snap, TINAS' joke is what I meant to do but apparently I cannot think right now.  What fail.  :-[

Its not always easy to use affect/effect correctly.  Their tricky.

I believe its there tricky ;)

Your all wrong, it's not that hard.
that's what she said

God this is an awesome community. Not only does the creator of the frickin' game post on the forums to answer questions and give previews and teasers, he even occasionally pops in with a well-timed d*** joke.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 08:34:42 pm »

God this is an awesome community. Not only does the creator of the frickin' game post on the forums to answer questions and give previews and teasers, he even occasionally pops in with a well-timed d*** joke.

donald also dropped this gem of a post on us a couple of weeks back.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 08:36:32 pm »

Develop can lead to a cosmic explosion of cards in this set, from squire to feodum to cultist/border village. Even the existence of poor house will make develop more (or less?) interesting.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
Re: How Dark Ages effects existing... things
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:58 pm »

We have multiple Alchemists, Bureaucrats, Lighthouses, and Philosopher's Stones.  And probably some other cards I can't recall right now.

It's only apropos we have multiple Cultists.  In fact, two is too few.

I was the first Lighthouse. clb is a Thief! Err.. that's what he should switch his to. Actually, I think someone is a Thief already. If I knew that the community didn't care about duplicates, I would totally be the second Wharf with michaeljb.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 08:44:15 pm »
+1

We have multiple Alchemists, Bureaucrats, Lighthouses, and Philosopher's Stones.  And probably some other cards I can't recall right now.

I was the first Lighthouse. clb is a Thief! Err.. that's what he should switch his to. Actually, I think someone is a Thief already. If I knew that the community didn't care about duplicates, I would totally be the second Wharf with michaeljb.

Apparently we have three Alchemists.  Something tells me they just got to the end of the initially viewable part of the avatar scroll and said "fuck it".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:42 pm »

Okay, I was the last one on the alchemist bandwagon, so I changed mine.  This is a picture I took, so it's unique...unless somebody steals it from me.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

saboteur has a bunch more interesting interactions

Only theoretical interactions, though. I mean, Saboteur is already really weak overall before Dark Ages. The fact that trashing cards of the opponent can actually give him a considerable benefit makes Saboteur *much* worse (if there are many cards with on-trash-benefits as there seem to be).
So no person who has any grasp of the game will buy a Saboteur with on-trash-benefit cards floating around. Except in veeeery few cases.

Could Saboteur become the new $5 Scout? 8)

Well, seeing that it was already the next-to-last $5 card in the last poll, there probably shouldn't be much doubt about that... :'(

At least Scout gives an action and doesn't dish out goodies to your opponent...

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:28 pm »

Well, saboteur could be really good against cards that trash themselves but activate on other things: for example, the hermit.  Catching a hermit with saboteur would be a good get.  On the other hand, the saboteur would pass right by the madman...so...that pretty much sucks.

Also, I once again have to give Donald credit for careful, forward-looking wording.  I looked back at the saboteur card, because if you trash your opponent's card, then you should get the benefit.  Alas, the wording says "Each other player reveals cards from the top of his deck until revealing one costing $3 or more.  He trashes that card..."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:42:45 pm by engineer »

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2012, 11:11:32 pm »

Thief I am, though unwittingly. When I went looking through the avatars, I didn't remember having seen a lighthouse, and I liked the way it looked. Sorry, Young Nick. Tell you what - you tell me how to make an avatar out of one of the new cards (or convince Theory to add them to the drop-down), and I will quickly pick something new. Next time around I can be the one crying foul when someone else takes my same avatar.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2012, 11:37:40 pm »
+1

Thief I am, though unwittingly. When I went looking through the avatars, I didn't remember having seen a lighthouse, and I liked the way it looked. Sorry, Young Nick. Tell you what - you tell me how to make an avatar out of one of the new cards (or convince Theory to add them to the drop-down), and I will quickly pick something new. Next time around I can be the one crying foul when someone else takes my same avatar.

Which new card do you want as your avatar?  I can tell you exactly how to do it - you just have to pick one.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

clb

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2012, 11:38:54 pm »

Sweet! Thanks Wero - let's go with hermit.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 11:49:43 pm »
+1

Profile->Modify Profile->Forum Profile->Specify Avatar by URL:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G52BLxjFHck/UCMzDEWhVaI/AAAAAAAAAi8/meY8sNj0WaY/s400/hermit.jpg

clb

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2012, 11:55:07 pm »

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G52BLxjFHck/UCMzDEWhVaI/AAAAAAAAAi8/meY8sNj0WaY/s400/hermit.jpg
So you saved the image to an online location (blogspot lets you do that? Is it semi-permanent?) and then point to that? thanks, Wero, the Great.
Young Nick, welcome back to your solitude lighthouse-ness. I will be a solitary hermit, for now.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2012, 11:56:27 pm »
+1

So you saved the image to an online location (blogspot lets you do that? Is it semi-permanent?) and then point to that? thanks, Wero, the Great.
Young Nick, welcome back to your solitude lighthouse-ness. I will be a solitary hermit, for now.

It should be as permanent as blogspot itself is.

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49:17 am »

Mining Village got better.  Maybe a lot better if you have Gravedigger in hand, as in many cases there is little downside to trashing the MV for the coin and Gravedigging it back.  I can only wonder what kind of village this set has that would work even better.  We'll know soon.

Mostly cards. For example, steward gets a lot better, chapel gets a lot better (every trasher seemingly gets a lot better), saboteur has a bunch more interesting interactions, scout is now the best card in the game....

But also other stuff - the simulators are going to have  lot of trouble, I think. Play rules are really complicated on a lot of stuff now. When do I trash stuff for the for-trash benefits? When do I cash my hermit in for a madman? When do I not play something? Which squire option do I take? When do I play poor house? What the heck am I doing with my graverobber? On and on, it seems. Which, hey, is sort of cool, because it means that the set is shaping up to be a lot more tactical than the ones that came before.

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 03:38:18 am »

Mining Village got better.  Maybe a lot better if you have Gravedigger in hand, as in many cases there is little downside to trashing the MV for the coin and Gravedigging it back.  I can only wonder what kind of village this set has that would work even better.  We'll know soon.

I don't think it's that big a deal. The two cards combined basically turn the Mining Village into a 2$ Oasis. Sure you can topdeck the MV but how many Graverobbers would you need to do this consistently? You could add Scheme into the mix but even then it's kind of meh.

But it's true that Dark Ages makes self trashers like MV at least slightly better when there's a Gravedigger around. In the absence of Gravedigger though I don't see any change to them.

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 04:59:20 am »
+3

Only theoretical interactions, though. I mean, Saboteur is already really weak overall before Dark Ages. The fact that trashing cards of the opponent can actually give him a considerable benefit makes Saboteur *much* worse (if there are many cards with on-trash-benefits as there seem to be).
So no person who has any grasp of the game will buy a Saboteur with on-trash-benefit cards floating around. Except in veeeery few cases.

Well, seeing that it was already the next-to-last $5 card in the last poll, there probably shouldn't be much doubt about that... :'(

Squire should've costed $3. Then you could've played Saboteur (no other attacks on board) and hit your opponent's Squire and force them to gain a Saboteur. Super effective!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2012, 08:08:54 am »
+1

Squire should've costed $3. Then you could've played Saboteur (no other attacks on board) and hit your opponent's Squire and force them to gain a Saboteur. Super effective!

Squire at $3 would have discouraged Saboteur play, where most players don't like Saboteur anyway.  At $2 it still discourages Swindler play, which is overused anyway.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2012, 08:12:19 am »

I'm still waiting for the Battlestar Galactica card to match my avatar.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2012, 10:22:40 am »
+1

Speaking of which, a friend of mine recently posted to facebook that he'd finally succeeded, with help, in finding a sentence where they're, there, and their would all work, albeit with slightly different meanings.

Find the kids, the dogs, and [they're/there/their] toast!

Does "there" work there? I'm not sure it does.

I could see how "there" would work. It's not conventional, but I believe you can use "there noun" in a way similar to "that noun." Although, I cannot say that without thinking of Young Frankenstein. "There castle!"

I'm not so convinced on "they're." If you use that, then the sentence becomes awkward. If you drop the second part of the compound sentence, then you're left with, "Find the kids, the dogs." As two objects, that just doesn't work.

On the other hand, if the kids were actually dogs, then that's valid. Perhaps if it were reworded to say, "Find my children, the dogs, and they're toast." From that point of view, it's not really more valid than "the kids, the dogs," but it does become something that is likely to be said.

Or better yet, maybe you're talking to your children. "Find the dogs, my children, and they're toast."

Using "there" is a bit shaky, but if you can accept sentences like, "I'm going to sit in this here chair" (and maybe you don't), then I could see "there" being used in such a way.

Interesting little bit on this here: http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/06/this-here.html

A man has no signature

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2012, 11:07:24 am »

Squire at $3 would have discouraged Saboteur play, where most players don't like Saboteur anyway.  At $2 it still discourages Swindler play, which is overused anyway.

Psst... I think it was a joke...

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2012, 11:17:58 am »

Well, saboteur could be really good against cards that trash themselves but activate on other things: for example, the hermit.  Catching a hermit with saboteur would be a good get.

Why? As far as I can see it would be just as disappointing as trashing most other $3 cards like Silver with it so far (pre-Dark Ages). Your opponent can buy a new Hermit quite easily for $3 if he wants one (or gain one from another Hermit, Workshop, etc.).

On the other hand, the saboteur would pass right by the madman...so...that pretty much sucks.

Actually, I guess that is one of the few and tiny benefits of Saboteur - the ability to actually discard a good card for your opponent (Prizes, Madmen). Most of the times, it helps him by discarding Estates, Curses and Coppers.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2012, 11:22:33 am »

Psst... I think it was a joke...

Yeah... That and Saboteur was certainly not the reason for making Squire only cost $2. Dark Ages and all its on-trash-benefits (on cards costing more than $2) obviously declared Saboteur mostly irrelevant anyway - it doesn't matter much if there had been one more card to make it even worse.
Which obviously happened to be able to invent a cool new mechanism which I don't complain about! :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:24:36 am by Varsinor »

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:51 pm »

Forge just became an explosive card. Before, it was great for cleaning up your deck while getting a high value card. Now, Forge can be the engine component of a game. Trash Cultists and Rats for +Cards, Squires for attack cards,…

Actually, how does the timing work here? Let's say I trash a Cultist and a Squire with a Forge, and KC and Mountebank are on the table. Can I specify the order to be a) Gain MB from trashing the Squire, b) gain KC from the Forge effect, c) draw from trashing the Cultists, conveniently pulling in the KC and MB that are shuffled into my deck (because I already drew my whole deck from a Madman or something earlier)?

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:19 pm »

The trashing happens first, so you resolve all those actions at the same time. In your example this means that gaining the Mountebank and drawing 3 cards happens at the same time, so you get to choose the order. Once those are resolved, only then do you get the KC.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.