Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: How Dark Ages affects existing... things  (Read 43128 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
How Dark Ages affects existing... things
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:44:42 am »
+4

Mostly cards. For example, steward gets a lot better, chapel gets a lot better (every trasher seemingly gets a lot better), saboteur has a bunch more interesting interactions, scout is now the best card in the game....

But also other stuff - the simulators are going to have  lot of trouble, I think. Play rules are really complicated on a lot of stuff now. When do I trash stuff for the for-trash benefits? When do I cash my hermit in for a madman? When do I not play something? Which squire option do I take? When do I play poor house? What the heck am I doing with my graverobber? On and on, it seems. Which, hey, is sort of cool, because it means that the set is shaping up to be a lot more tactical than the ones that came before.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:07:39 pm by theory »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: How Dark Ages effects existing... things
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:22 am »
+3

Like I posted in another thread, Watchtower becomes pretty powerful with all the on-trash effects. Because you can buy (or gain) cards just for the on-trash effect when you have a Watchtower in hand.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:55:53 am »
+11

Hinterlands made us buy things just for the buy effect, like Inn and IGG.

Dark Ages is making us buy things just to get rid of them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »

Yeah I am thinking things could potentially get really confusing at first with Hinterland's on-gain abilities and the trashing benefits from Dark Ages.  I hope there is not something that loops constantly with Border village, a card from DA that allows you to gain a card that cost more when trashed, and watchtower. 

I'm also really really excited to see what boost develop gets.  It is going to be a much different card after the whole set is released.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:13 pm »

Develop is now an essential card on some boards if it is the only trasher available.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »
+13

WW, you know which part of your post the +1 was for.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:05:07 pm »
+3

scout is now the best card in the game....

I would never have realized this if not for Robz.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:09:28 pm »

Swindler is, I think, an interesting case. At first I was thinking it got a lot stronger, and stuff like madman definitely helps it (can you imagine that happening to you?), as do ruins (though marginally). But I actually think it is going to be a good bit weaker now, with all of the 'when you trash this, get a benefit' cards. Like cultist->duchy will still hurt, but you're giving them THREE free labs. So I would guess steward actually is going to clearly edge it out now, with the bonuses from being able to trash all this stuff. Watchtower moves up too, as do things like upgrade, and lookout, and all the TFB cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:16:02 pm »

Swindler is, I think, an interesting case. At first I was thinking it got a lot stronger, and stuff like madman definitely helps it (can you imagine that happening to you?), as do ruins (though marginally). But I actually think it is going to be a good bit weaker now, with all of the 'when you trash this, get a benefit' cards. Like cultist->duchy will still hurt, but you're giving them THREE free labs. So I would guess steward actually is going to clearly edge it out now, with the bonuses from being able to trash all this stuff. Watchtower moves up too, as do things like upgrade, and lookout, and all the TFB cards.

With Ruins, Ambassador is going to lose a little sting, at least in 3+ player games - it will become much more of a political card.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:17:44 pm »
+1

Rabble and Fortune Teller skip over ruins, making them marginally less effective in the role they're supposed to fill

Farming Village and Golem will pick them up, making them marginally less effective in the role they're supposed to fill

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:13 pm »

Scheme also gets better on boards with Hermit/Madman because of the lose track rule.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »

I like that my first thought after we saw Poor House was, "Oh, hey, Upgrade and Remake took a big hit." Hardly! Upgrade is actually going to get a substantial boost from this set, and Remake may very well be the best $4 card in the game now.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 01:10:49 pm »

Squire is the second card of the revealed 9 which mentions Silver.

Maybe that will be its least used effect, but I still wanted to mention it with Feodum around.
It seems that Dark Ages is going to offer a lot of possibilities to the players.
You can go mega fail/mega engine or you can play it close to the vest and try to put your money to good use.

In any case, it seems like it's going to be even more groundbreaking than Hinterlands.

It's a bit like Cosmic Encounter which has a set of rules, but even more cards and abilities that break those rules.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:14 pm »

I'm guessing that Develop becomes the preferred trasher on a lot of boards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 01:14:50 pm »

scout is now the best card in the game....

I would never have realized this if not for Robz.

Yeah, I completely didn't see it either!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:41 pm »

Maybe that will be its least used effect, but I still wanted to mention it with Feodum around.
It seems that Dark Ages is going to offer a lot of possibilities to the players.
You can go mega fail/mega engine or you can play it close to the vest and try to put your money to good use.

In any case, it seems like it's going to be even more groundbreaking than Hinterlands.

It's a bit like Cosmic Encounter which has a set of rules, but even more cards and abilities that break those rules.

Well, Donald X did say this is the Johnny expansion.

dor

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 01:56:50 pm »

Where does this term come from?

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 01:57:56 pm »

Magic the Gathering
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 01:59:40 pm »

Magic the Gathering

Specifically, it refers to this very famous article by Mark Rosewater.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 02:01:48 pm »

I like that my first thought after we saw Poor House was, "Oh, hey, Upgrade and Remake took a big hit." Hardly! Upgrade is actually going to get a substantial boost from this set, and Remake may very well be the best $4 card in the game now.

I realized pretty quickly after I said it that Upgrade pretty much just gets a lot better.  Even with Poor House.

I think it's still true that Remake will be worse in the specific case that Poor House is on the board, because so much of its value is deck-thinning.  But it could still be something to pick up later in conjunction with other trashers, and it'll be helped by most of the other Dark Ages cards, probably.  I already had it as the second-best $4 card, so I don't think there's actually much room to improve, but yeah it'll be better on average.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 02:01:58 pm »
+4

dor, Insomniac, please duel to the death so only one of you has a Cultist avatar.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »

dor, Insomniac, please duel to the death so only one of you has a Cultist avatar.

Then get all the other duplicates to stop having duplicates. :P

I grabbed my avatar at 8am PDT shortly after the previews went up
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

dor

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 02:04:53 pm »
+7

I believe I used it first. Insomniac, please trash your avatar and pick one from the three cards revealed today.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 02:07:52 pm »
+2

We have multiple Alchemists, Bureaucrats, Lighthouses, and Philosopher's Stones.  And probably some other cards I can't recall right now.

It's only apropos we have multiple Cultists.  In fact, two is too few. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »
+6

We have multiple Alchemists, Bureaucrats, Lighthouses, and Philosopher's Stones.  And probably some other cards I can't recall right now.

It's only apropos we have multiple Cultists.  In fact, two is too few.

We should just have a Cultist day where everyone's avatar is a Cultist.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.