Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cursed Village  (Read 4540 times)

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Cursed Village
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:15 am »

I was lurking at the forums during the Village contest and I joined the forums a little too late - and it's past now!

Anyway I had this idea running in my head, where you can utilize curse cards to help your village:

Cursed Village
$2
Action

+1 Card
+2 Action

Discard any number of Curse cards. +$1 per Curse card discarded.
----
When you gain this, gain a Curse card.

Ideas/Feedback would be appreciated.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Cursed Village
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:03:15 am »
+1

This is the rare "when you gain this, gain a Curse" cards that I think doesn't become broken when the Curses run out, which is the usual problem with cards like that.  It's also probably strong enough -- the Curse-for-cash effect is strictly worse than Secret Chamber, which is no power card.  But since that's tacked onto a Village effect, which is stronger than a $2 card on its own, that's okay.

What I don't know is if it mitigates the damage from gaining a Curse enough.  Although it's nice that it turns those Curses into modest benefits, it's still just as hard to construct an engine with this kind of Village than if your opponent was Witching you.  And if it's too hard to construct an engine, what do you need a Village for?

So my suspicion is that this is a niche card.  Good with Watchtower/Trader and/or possibly heavy or non-terminal trashing, but often a trap card otherwise.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't know what the percentages would be on it.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:26:42 am »

Stronger Cursed Village
$2
Action

+1 Card
+2 Action

Reveal any number of Curse cards from your hand. +$1 per Curse card revealed.
----

PenPen

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:56:36 pm »

Stronger Cursed Village
$2
Action

+1 Card
+2 Action

----

You know, that actually crossed my mind, but if there's like two of these SCVs on hand, or one more SCV got drawn somehow, the +$ effect gets too swingy. Like buying a Province with a few Coppers and some curses thru SCVs, and that didn't sit well with me.

The original idea with Cursed Village was to +1 Action or +1 Card (I mean 2 separate versions of CV) on each curse card discarded, but that felt more like in the realm of $3 to me. So I made it a +$ instead.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:58:33 pm »

Stronger Cursed Village
$2
Action

+1 Card
+2 Action

----

You know, that actually crossed my mind, but if there's like two of these SCVs on hand, or one more SCV got drawn somehow, the +$ effect gets too swingy. Like buying a Province with a few Coppers and some curses thru SCVs, and that didn't sit well with me.

The original idea with Cursed Village was to +1 Action or +1 Card (I mean 2 separate versions of CV) on each curse card discarded, but that felt more like in the realm of $3 to me. So I made it a +$ instead.

+1 Card per Curse would make it more like Crossroads.  Crossroads would be lots better, except the +1 Card at the top of yours is kind of a big deal.  Bottom line, I'm not so sure it would be overpowered.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »
+3

...but if there's like two of these SCVs on hand, or one more SCV got drawn somehow, the +$ effect gets too swingy. Like buying a Province with a few Coppers and some curses thru SCVs...

SCV's?

You're gonna need more than three SCVs.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

BMan

• Steward
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:41:29 pm »
+1

...but if there's like two of these SCVs on hand, or one more SCV got drawn somehow, the +$ effect gets too swingy. Like buying a Province with a few Coppers and some curses thru SCVs...

SCV's?

You're gonna need more than three SCVs.

"SCV reddeh!"

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »

Great in cursing games, but other than that, it doesn't seem worth it unless you are in desperate need of a Village.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

PenPen

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:14 pm »

Ah, I knew people would catch on to that and deploy some of them SCVs in here! :D

BMan

• Steward
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 03:37:55 am »

I just want to know if SCVs can mine for minerals, build barracks, etc.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:00:43 am »
+2

That picture makes me a little sad.  This is what I think of when I think of SCV:

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:18:40 am »

I was lurking at the forums during the Village contest and I joined the forums a little too late - and it's past now!

Anyway I had this idea running in my head, where you can utilize curse cards to help your village:

Cursed Village
$2
Action

+1 Card
+2 Action

----

Dark Ages has a card that gives you Ruins. Those don't run out as often and they are less painful on your deck if you cannot do anything about them (the card itself helps).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:24:05 am by One Armed Man »

PenPen

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:32:37 am »

Cursed Village
$2
Action

+1 Card
+2 Action

----

Dark Ages has a card that gives you Ruins. Those don't run out as often and they are less painful on your deck if you cannot do anything about them (the card itself helps).

Yeah, but this was posted prior to DA. A Village that interacts with Ruins would be pretty fun though.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 11:13:34 am »

They don't run out as often? Why not? There's the same number of them in the supply as Curses. I guess you're less likely to have two Looters in the same game than two cursers, but.

PenPen

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 11:32:38 am »

Thinking of using ruins with this Village I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

Rebuilding Village
$4? - Action

+1 Card
+2 Action

Discard any number of Ruins cards. The abilities of the discarded Ruins cards are part of this card.

Maybe that would be a little too powerful when stacked with a vanilla Village. Or just have the last line by itself as a card?

(Alt) Rebuilding Village
$3 - Action

Discard any number of Ruins cards. The abilities of the discarded Ruins cards are part of this card.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 01:17:08 am »

That picture makes me a little sad.  This is what I think of when I think of SCV:

Can't forget the SCV's shirt!

"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.737 seconds with 21 queries.