Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: What card design rules are left?  (Read 54535 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Re: What card design rules are left?
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2012, 12:06:22 am »

Torturer lets you gain a curse in hand, as an option.  So "gain bad stuff in hand" has been touched upon.  I can see why Donald likes that better, since the curse pile scales with the number of people playing.

The thing with curse in hand is you can't play it for benefit - it's handy if you have a trasher ready or can trigger the reshuffle but otherwise it's no better than simply gaining the curse. Gaining an abandoned mine or ruined library to hand would actually be helpful much of the time.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2012, 12:12:09 am »

Torturer lets you gain a curse in hand, as an option.  So "gain bad stuff in hand" has been touched upon.  I can see why Donald likes that better, since the curse pile scales with the number of people playing.

The thing with curse in hand is you can't play it for benefit - it's handy if you have a trasher ready or can trigger the reshuffle but otherwise it's no better than simply gaining the curse. Gaining an abandoned mine or ruined library to hand would actually be helpful much of the time.

Not just trashers and reshuffle timing.  Gaining the curse in hand is also good if you have cards that require discarding or let you discard for benefit (Warehouse, Embassy, SC, Cellar, Vault...).  It's also good against Torturer, because it gives you an extra card to discard against it!

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2012, 12:22:36 am »

"The supply looks the same to all players."

All players see the same piles and number of piles, the same number of cards in each pile, and even the same embargo tokens everywhere, and presence/absence of special piles like Prizes, Ruins, Spoils, etc. This got a little screwy with heterogeneous piles like Prizes, Ruins, and Knights, and especially Black Market, but it's still pretty regular. Any interactions with the supply are globally visible, and globally symmetric.

Messing with this would be very hard, but not impossible. The easiest would be making Embargo tokens remember which player played them, and not giving curses to that player. Pain in the ass with bookkeeping, but possible. Another idea would be to change the way Knights work: instead of 1 pile with 10 different cards, each player has their own personal supply pile of 10 of the same knight, and can only buy knights from that pile. I could see Guilds doing something with "Guilds" this way, but it would be very hard to balance and design around. I would only consider it if Guilds come with a built-in way to enter other players' decks.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:17 am »

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I was amazed to see a card with +$5 on it (for $4 no less!). Obviously Donald X. had to add a lot of downside to balance Death Cart, but what's the limit? Can you balance a card with +$6? +$7?

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »

You can't have any card that becomes $6 over 2 cards except if you impose very high restrictions, such as if:
-it's temporary
-extreme penalties (trashing the rest of your hand, self-Saboteur, gain junk)
-it costs at least $5 and forces you to pay a medium penalty (more than Count)
-it takes a while to kick in (Pirate Ship)
-it only kicks in sometimes (Trade Route)
-it's terrible (Adventurer)
-it costs at least 7

Otherwise the goal is no longer to get treasure like Gold or even Platinums every game that the card's dealt.  That sort of forced-to-buy card is frowned upon during testing, I think.  Unless it's got the right restrictions, it'll break. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:45:38 pm by axlemn »
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2012, 03:56:23 pm »
+2

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I was amazed to see a card with +$5 on it (for $4 no less!). Obviously Donald X. had to add a lot of downside to balance Death Cart, but what's the limit? Can you balance a card with +$6? +$7?

There already (sort of) is a card with +$6: Vault.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2012, 12:30:14 pm »

There already (sort of) is a card with +$6: Vault.

Eh, kinda, but it only gives $6 at the expense of the rest of your hand. It plays very similar to a card which says "+2 cards, reveal your hand, +$1 for each card which is not a treasure," which now doesn't sound like it gives +$6.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2012, 02:47:59 pm »

Say, is Mercenary the first card that gives terminal +card and +coin (barring cases like Pawn and Trusty Steed, where +card/+coin is just one of several possible outcomes of the card)?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2012, 06:51:51 pm »

Vault does.

Horse Trader kinda also.

geemsean

• Pawn
  • Scout > Oasis
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2012, 01:35:57 pm »

I was hoping for Dark Ages to have a duration-effect card that let you play curses as either Actions or Treasures... but who cares? DA seems awesome!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2012, 02:36:44 pm »

I was hoping for Dark Ages to have a duration-effect card that let you play curses as either Actions or Treasures... but who cares? DA seems awesome!

Well, that's what ruins sort of are. They're junk in your deck that you can play as actions.

davogotland

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
    • iseeuglycode
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2012, 03:49:27 pm »

my friend had a dream about a card that broke such a rule. it could be called cell split, he wasn't sure. unfortunately, he didn't remember the cost of the card either :0

cell split
$?
trash this card. during cleanup, your discard pile becomes your deck, and what's left of your draw pile is the deck of your second player, left of you in turn order. at the end of the game, both decks reunite.
action
1:15 moogle: whats up hot cross buns
1:15 moogle: nice pants you got on there
1:16 without breaking a sweat, he: hahaha
1:16 moogle: yeah you got some sexy pants
1:22 moogle: id like a piece of that pie
(here, moogle buys a remodel)
1:24 without breaking a sweat, he: you'll get remodeled pie
1:25 moogle: mm im down with post op
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 1.575 seconds with 20 queries.