Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Puzzle: The Four Mysterious Ruins  (Read 24756 times)

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle: The Four Mysterious Ruins
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:08 am »

Oh, and I think that the Ruined Village will give +2 actions. I have two theories for this. One, I realize that Ruins are meant to be junk cards, but I feel they aren't meant to be total dud cards. So, +2 actions can sometimes be beneficial, and NV, Hamlet, and Squire show us that at $2 +2 actions has to do something extra. And, let's face it, how often do you want a Shanty Town that never ever draws a card? But, here is my second reason that I think Village will be +2 actions, what does Pillage do? It discards a card. What does Village do. It draws a card. So, I feel that when the Looters Pillage, they are also taking the card draw from Village. Apparently, they also found some spoils along the way.

I don't buy this sorry. The +1 cards makes things a little smoother but +2 actions is the whole point to a villlage. A just +2 actions card is fully functional. I'd buy that card if it was the only village, i'd spend a reasonable amount on it in some cases.

The only guaranteed ruin as it stands is +1 buy. The only times spending an entire action on +1 buy is justified is if there are heaps of cheap cards that you want lots of (a rare situation) or if your engine is ticking away very smoothly indeed. The main problem with a +2 actions card is the opportunity cost in taking a turn to buy it. If someone just gives one to you that'd be <i>awesome</i>.

I agree. Most people think that the ruined smithy or council room or whatever will give +1 card, and you would almost never spend $2 on a card that gives just +2 cards.  Therefore I don't think it makes sense to say that ruined village will give +2 actions just because you would never spend $2 on a card that gives just +2 actions. (even though I probably would in some cases)

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:17 am »

A draw engine usually can't run comfortably on a plain +2 actions card. (Pure Nobles, for example, is not great.) Vs, an already-strong engine is perfectly happy inserting a single +buy card, and you only need one to start doing Province+component or double-Province.

Pure Nobles isn't the best drawing engine but its perfectly functional. And if someone is just throwing +2 actions into your deck all you need to do is buy a few Library's (substitute other draw to X) and you're laughing. +2 actions is not an attack.

+1 action is however just horrible enough to be interesting. Its a conspirator activator, peddler cheapener, replaces itself with draw to X, you can TR it to make a really inefficent 2 card village. You're not going to buy it but maybe you can work around it. And I think thats the point of Ruins

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 04:01:09 am »

For Ruined Village, I think +2 Action would be too "strong".

If it is, one possibility is:

Ruined Village: +1 Action. You may play a Ruins.

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 04:38:40 am »
+1

My prediction is that they will all be ruined versions of base cards.

How about Ruined Moat?

Reaction:  When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal and trash this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 05:25:28 am »

But a self-trashing ruins defeats the point, you would WANT to trash it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:28:47 am by ftl »

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:47 pm »

since the shelter is +2 actions, doesn't that mean that the ruined village has to be +1 action?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:57 pm »

since the shelter is +2 actions, doesn't that mean that the ruined village has to be +1 action?

I would say yes.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:16 pm »

Could be actions with penalty, e.g. discard.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »
+4

I am betting you can guess what three of the other Ruinses do.

Donald X. has clearly overestimated our collective grasp of the obvious.  Of course they're just +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.  They're supposed to be bad cards!
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 03:07:26 pm »

I know Donald has said that coloring is used to alert you when you're holding your hand that you might want to do something (ie reveal a reaction card). Can someone help me out on why Ruined Market shouldn't be brown/white, or Necropolis only orange?
The Ruins cards are all actions. As with Duration cards, being half white wouldn't be telling you anything extra. I mean the game could have gone that way from the beginning, but it didn't.

The Shelters meanwhile are not all Actions. With two of them indicating the other type it seemed best if Necropolis also did.

Again I do not know why Necropolis doesn't have red on the same side as the others. You can't be consistent for every type, but these could have been consistent. You could ask Catrein, he did the layout.

So, here Donald confirms that all Shelters are Actions.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »

I know Donald has said that coloring is used to alert you when you're holding your hand that you might want to do something (ie reveal a reaction card). Can someone help me out on why Ruined Market shouldn't be brown/white, or Necropolis only orange?
The Ruins cards are all actions. As with Duration cards, being half white wouldn't be telling you anything extra. I mean the game could have gone that way from the beginning, but it didn't.

The Shelters meanwhile are not all Actions. With two of them indicating the other type it seemed best if Necropolis also did.

Again I do not know why Necropolis doesn't have red on the same side as the others. You can't be consistent for every type, but these could have been consistent. You could ask Catrein, he did the layout.

Wait, what? He confirms that all Ruins are Actions, not Shelters.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 03:13:04 pm »

Wait, what? He confirms that all Ruins are Actions, not Shelters.

Yes, I quoted that from page 5 of today's previews. All Ruins are Actions.

Theodorelogan

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 02:33:25 pm »

I agree with the theory that one of the. Is going to be beneficial.

I also don't get why people think one will will be +action. That doesn't do anything. I also don't see why people think it will be these boring vanilla cards (+card, +coin, and so on.)

My guesses

A card with -1 victory point but is a cantrip like a reverse great hall

If this card is trashed, you must trash another card of cost 3 or more with it. If you can't, draw another ruin.
Or
If you trash this card, gain a card from the trash

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 02:36:35 pm »
+1

I also don't get why people think one will will be +action. That doesn't do anything. I also don't see why people think it will be these boring vanilla cards (+card, +coin, and so on.)

My guesses

If this card is trashed, you must trash another card of cost 3 or more with it. If you can't, draw another ruin.
Or

We think that the cards will be +$, + Cad, +Action because Donald X. said we should be able to guess them. Occum's Razor--The simplest explanation is usually the best and most accurate.

Anyway, we likely won't get a -1 VP card because all Ruins are Actions. The last card might be elaborate, but I'm willing to be money that the first four are +$, +Card, +Action, +Buy

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »

Yes, I quoted that from page 5 of today's previews. All Ruins are Actions.

You wrote that all Shelters were Actions.  :P

My guesses

Or

They are expected to be boring vanilla because Ruined Market is such, and Donald X commented that we should be able to predict the three others, thus +1 action, +1 card and +$1 are likely.  I agree that +1 action pretty much does nothing, but it would still work, sort of.  It has interaction with Conspirator, HoP, draw-to-X cards like Library.  So there's that.  (PPE: ninja'd)

I don't think that anything is going to be actually beneficial.  I mean, Ruined Market can be beneficial sometimes, sure, but most of the time it will be a hindrance.  I expect the same of the other ruins, because otherwise it is way too swingy.  It is already a bit swingy in that some Ruins will be better than others, but I expect that their usefulness will still be pretty close together on the lower end of things.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2012, 02:16:49 pm »
+4

Ruined Hag:

Just a picture of your mom taped to a blank Dominion card.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2012, 05:02:57 am »

Ruminating on this:

Ruined Feast - Trash this card.  Gain a card costing up to $0.

It fits the trashing concept, and while you can trash it out of your deck, it is a forced gain of another card you normally want to trash.  So it takes two turns to get it out of your hand.  Alternatively, you could save it up for a Highway/Bridge thing.

Otherwise:

Ruined Throne Room - Choose an Action card in your hand.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:34 am »

Ruined Copper.

Treasure that gives + $0.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2019, 07:37:41 am »

This was a pretty fun thread to read in 2019.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2019, 04:22:54 pm »
+2

I've said it before; but I definitely think Ruined Library instead of Ruined Smithy. The Ruins would make a lot more sense as buildings or places instead of people. It's effect could be +1 card, or possibly draw to 5 cards in hand.

Hey, look at that!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.