Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Feel of Dark Ages  (Read 4935 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
The Feel of Dark Ages
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:36:35 pm »

With the first preview, the first three cards seemed to hark back to a purely medieval theme, something which hadn't been evoked since Intrigue.  I think this is possibly why they seemed so much like fan cards (that, along with the trash-gaining and the $1 cost).  But Graverobber and Poor House seem really gritty, and they, along with Sage, really feel like they'd fit in the actual Dark Ages.

The second preview seemed to me more exotic (perhaps the brighter colors), much like the Hinterlands previews were.  With the Hinterlands previews, you got a feel for the aesthetic of the set pretty quickly.  But in two days we have two different artistic directions for Dark Ages.

Permeating all of this is a sort of sense of finality.  I realize there is one more expansion to come after this, but Dark Ages really feels like the last stand - a way for Donald X to really go out with a bang with his series - the Dark Knight Rises of deck-building card games, if you will.  Just looking at the Ruined Market is almost like seeing the corpse of an old friend dredged up on the banks of a river.  This is the post-apocalyptic expansion.  I forsee this expansion being very aggressive and very violent.  Even just with the Graverobber, I've been getting images of players fighting over the good stuff in the trash like vultures, in ways they would never have fought over cards from their supply piles.

But destructive or not, this set looks like it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun.  Morituri te salutant, Donald X.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:55:25 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: The Feel of Dark Ages
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »
+1

You've really got time to burn, don't you?  ;)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39:39 pm »
+1

You've really got time to burn, don't you?  ;)

I'm on my lunch break.  :P
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:42:49 pm »
+2

I forsee this expansion being very aggressive and very violent.  Even just with the Graverobber, I've been getting images of players fighting over the good stuff in the trash like vultures, in ways they would never have fought over cards from their supply piles.

I don't think anything can be as violent as my buddy ripping to shreds all ten Torturers out of frustration. (His set, not mine thank goodness).

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 01:43:58 pm »
+3

I'm just dying for the Secret History of the Dark Ages cards. I think this set is going to have a fascinating story for how it developed. Can you imagine the outtakes as DXV tried to get these cards right? Crazy cards require crazy playtesting.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:33:45 pm »
+1

"Moriturus Sumus" also fits in the theme of "Dark Ages", since no one would have known enough Latin any more to correct the phrase's disagreement in subject and verb number.
Stop reading my signature.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:51:24 pm »

"Moriturus Sumus" also fits in the theme of "Dark Ages", since no one would have known enough Latin any more to correct the phrase's disagreement in subject and verb number.

"Moriturus" = about to die.  It is the future participle.  "Sumus" = we are.  i.e. "We who are about to die."

EDIT.  Got it - should be "morituri."

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 05:28:01 pm »

I think that Donald definitely has a poverty thing going on in Dark Ages: a counter-point to Prosperity. There are many cheap cards (poor house, sage, ruins (why would you buy one?), squire, hermit, rats), cards that combo with cheap cards (poor house, sage loves when all your cards are cheap but one, pillage (not cheap) removes itself from yoru deck, as do spoils), and cards that make you poor(er) (rats, spoils, your opponent's pillage, ruins), and the alt VP emphasizes silver - a very cheap/available treasure (and there seem to be several ways to easily pick up extra silvers along the way). This poverty theme seems well-suited to a Dark Ages theme, but a bit ironic in that one of the combo cards that keeps coming up is from Prosperity: watchtower.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 05:43:18 pm »
+1

The rich dudes have to watch out for all the poor people.

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 07:18:47 pm »

not to mention use them or trash them for benefits!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:41:38 pm »
+1

not to mention use them or trash them for benefits!

"I'll trash this Squire."

*stab stab stab*

"I'll forge these Rats into a Province."

*forge lady smelting rats together*

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 07:42:24 pm »
+3

Better than Remodelling those Rats into a Harem...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:19 pm »
+3

Better than Remodelling those Rats into a Harem...

DANCE OF THE RAT WHORES

*ting ting ting*

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.