Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: BGG Store Dominion Tournament  (Read 12944 times)

yuma

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
BGG Store Dominion Tournament
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:22 am »
+10

I am pleased to announce what I think is fDS's first sponsored tournament.

As such, the winner of this tournament will receive a prize from Kristine Anderson at Board Game Geek and the Board Game Geek Store. and  The prize will be a "care" package of Dominion promo cards.  I personally have used the BGG Store to buy promos and was extremely pleased with the price, the shipping and the customer service received.

This competition will begin the day after IsoDom 5 ends. Note that this is not the sign up page. Sign-ups will be posted later this week. This tournament will have a hard cap but I am not sure what cap that will be, and will be single elimination.

Rules

1. The winner of this tournament will receive a prize from the Board Game Geek Store.
2. Single elimination tournament. All rounds are best out of 5. Seeds will be determined by mafia wins and isotropic rank.
3. There will be a hard cap on this tournament that will be determined later. I want to avoid having first round byes, so it will likely be a set cap of 32, 64, 128, etc. This means sign up early!
4. Only forum members with a registration date prior to this post will be eligible to enter. Sorry if you are a lurker and want to enter. Maybe you should create an account now for a chance to compete next time (if there is a next time). Priority will be given on a mix of first come first serve basis, prior fDS tournament participation, isotropic rank and forum participation.
5. Players will play with randomized kingdoms using isotropic's nifty feature. That means no set kingdoms or required cards. Players will play with veto mode off, official point tracker on, and identical starting hands on. The use of the point counter plug-in will be voted on by the # of participants in PMs to me prior to the start of the tournament. Participants that do not care can simply not PM me, and anyone that doesn't PM me will be considered as such. After that decision is reached it is not allowed, even if both players want it. Obviously I can't monitor this, so I guess if you both want to use it I have no way of knowing... O well.
6. This tournament will have 7-day rounds. In the first round both players have two (2) days to contact each other after the official start day. If no contact is established with a player, the non-showing player will forfeit their spot. This spot will then be filled by a new player (again first come first serve) who can play in a time slot determined beforehand by the original opponent.
6b. In subsequent rounds, players again have two days to contact each other to determine a time to play. If in any round a consensus on when to play can't be reach then (further rules to come here).
7. After the first round any complete no shows will result in a forfeit for the non-showing player and a victory for the winning player. Not showing for 30 minutes after a designated time is grounds for a forfeit. Please save all PMs and use a screen shot of the lobby (secret chamber everyone!) with a timestamp to verify.
8. Wins will be recorded by posting logs--as is the usual format for fDS tournaments--commentary on these logs is encouraged but not required.
9. If isotropic shuts down in the midst of this tournament there will be a hiatus and the tournament will start two weeks after the fun-socket game is made available to the public. If participants choose not to become Goko members they will be disqualified from the tournament and their respective opponent will advance instead. (Of course all of this is slightly subject to change as we learn more about FunSockets, especially in regard to how cards will be available within Goko).
9b. If for some reason isotropic is unavailable due to computer issues using Goko instead is permitted if both players are Goko beta testing members. In this case please copy the log into a pm as well as posting it. I am not sure if Goko saves old logs in the same way isotropic does. If one player is on Goko, but the other is not the game must be rescheduled on isotropic.
10. If the winner of the tournament decides to not accept the prize and only wants the bragging rights then the prize will go to the second place participant. If the 2nd place participant does not accept it the prize it will go to 3rd place and so forth.
11. The prize is only available to participants living in the United States. Players living outside are allowed to play in the tournament but cannot receive the prize. (However, if non-US residents are willing to pay shipping and handling for the prize, there may be an exception made to this rule but I need to check before I promise anything).
12. The ultimate winner of the prize will need to send me a mailing address which I will forward onto Kristine who will mail the prize.

This thread is intended to announce the tournament and be open for suggestions, comments or questions.

Please visit the BGG Store and see if they have any products of interest to you.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:27:20 pm by yuma »

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
Re: BGG Store Dominion Tournament
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:56 am »

These rules look really good, nice job!

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:44:14 am »

Yeah, this looks great, dude.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »

I'm stealing some of the rules on forfeits for the next Isodom.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:22:27 pm »

I'm stealing some of the rules on forfeits for the next Isodom.

Feel free, let me know if you think anything could be further improved upon

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:58 am »

This sounds great. :D
A man on a mission.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:33:32 am »

What if the two players can't find an agreed upon time to play?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:05:47 am »

You don't say how the card sets are to be picked, other than 'not veto mode'. I would guess you want them to be full random, but you should say that explicitly, and also possibly think about provisions for 'well I proposed a game and he didn't accept it I think he's trying to determine the set' kind of issues.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:22:45 am »

You don't say how the card sets are to be picked, other than 'not veto mode'. I would guess you want them to be full random, but you should say that explicitly, and also possibly think about provisions for 'well I proposed a game and he didn't accept it I think he's trying to determine the set' kind of issues.

good catch thanks

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 10:01:26 am »
+1

That is a good question and hopefully one that doesn't come up. In past tournaments players who had difficult schedules typically resigned--but with the allure of a prize this may not occur.

Here are some ideas just off the top of my head...

1. I decide after consulting both players and seeing which of the two had the more available schedule.
2. Neither player advances. Perhaps some mediation first to see if there actually is a way for them to play.
3. Coin flip (or rather timestamp seconds being odd/even to make it viewable)
4. Both players play against me using the same kingdom. Which ever one has a greater margin of victory advances (this of course has the same problem of availability)

I like 1. the most. It might end up meaning I make some enemies. But hey. O well. This is a tournament, if you aren't going to be available, don't sign up. If you end up not being available drop out. Real life tournaments wouldn't accept someone calling up and saying they got really busy and can only drop in at 11:15 to play, I don't think we have to be so accommodating either.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:45:02 am »

I like a mix of 1 and 3.  You could say that each player had to explicitly offer the other person a minimum number of hours during which they could be available (min set at somewhere between 10-20 hours in the entire week, split among at least 3 different days--days being defined as hours between the offerer waking and sleeping, so I can't offer 10pm-2am in my time zone and count that as 2 days).  If a problem arises, ask for all correspondence between the parties.

1.If you determine that ONE player has not met this qualification, they are eliminated. 
2.If NEITHER player meets this qualification, the one who offered the closest number of hours to the minimum wins.
3.If they BOTH offer at least the minimum number of hours a coin toss decides (unless one player offers significantly more, or one player's correspondence seems intent on making time conflicts--so if I offer 75 hours during a week, and somehow my opponent is only "available" for the bare minimum, always outside of that time, the game won't be decided on a coin flip)

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 03:35:58 pm »

Also, with Donald hinting towards the release of the official app coming soon, how would we pick sets with everyone only guaranteed to have the base set? Are you going to force players to buy all the sets available, or maybe some of them, or do we just go with what's available to both players?

Obviously, this only matters if the official app is actually released, but from Donald's comments I would guess they are going to release the official app by the end of the month.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:53 pm »

Also, with Donald hinting towards the release of the official app coming soon, how would we pick sets with everyone only guaranteed to have the base set? Are you going to force players to buy all the sets available, or maybe some of them, or do we just go with what's available to both players?

Obviously, this only matters if the official app is actually released, but from Donald's comments I would guess they are going to release the official app by the end of the month.

Yeah... this is tricky... and honestly I don't know.

If that occurs I will use the two week hiatus to figure that out and see what our best options are. For now, I have no answer, except to say that we will have the two weeks to figure it out.

There is even a chance that Goko will be available before this tournament starts depending on IsoDom 5's end date.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 04:00:34 pm »
+1

That is a good question and hopefully one that doesn't come up. In past tournaments players who had difficult schedules typically resigned--but with the allure of a prize this may not occur.

Here are some ideas just off the top of my head...

1. I decide after consulting both players and seeing which of the two had the more available schedule.
2. Neither player advances. Perhaps some mediation first to see if there actually is a way for them to play.
3. Coin flip (or rather timestamp seconds being odd/even to make it viewable)
4. Both players play against me using the same kingdom. Which ever one has a greater margin of victory advances (this of course has the same problem of availability)

I like 1. the most. It might end up meaning I make some enemies. But hey. O well. This is a tournament, if you aren't going to be available, don't sign up. If you end up not being available drop out. Real life tournaments wouldn't accept someone calling up and saying they got really busy and can only drop in at 11:15 to play, I don't think we have to be so accommodating either.

I would go with a "default" time for the match.
Unless the players can agree on an alternative, the match is to be played @ XX.00 on the day before the deadline. Then if only one player turns up they get the win.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 04:45:14 pm »

For anyone wondering, this tournament will be pushed back until Goko is at a point where I feel comfortable that it is capable of running a tournament.

It will also likely continue to be pushed back even further if IsoDom 5 continues on Goko. If an unspecified amount of time passes without IsoDom5 starting up again I will consider starting.

Too bad it took me so long to find a sponsor, I was really hoping we could get this done on Isotropic.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 10:55:09 am »

with Goko's release being pushed back, are you going to try to squeeze this tournament in?
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 11:16:49 am »

So, if I am reading this right, the fact that I've been beta testing Goko and therefore neglecting isotropic and hence my rank has fallen 6 points or more is going to help me get an easier seeded starting bracket.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 11:26:38 am »

with Goko's release being pushed back, are you going to try to squeeze this tournament in?

I would like to. Do we have a date set for when they think they will be back. I don't know if it matters. Sign ups will likely be posted later today. I might change the rounds to five days instead of seven. Thoughts?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 01:53:43 pm »

Seven is handy because it means every round contains some weekend.  Weekend's are useful for matching up people in wildly different time zones (US-specific prizes understood).

So, if I am reading this right, the fact that I've been beta testing Goko and therefore neglecting isotropic and hence my rank has fallen 6 points or more is going to help me get an easier seeded starting bracket.

A lower Isotropic rank means you're more likely to get matched against people with higher Isotropic ranks.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »

In my opinion Goko is not suitable for tournament play at the moment. I'll send Yuma a private mail with my concerns.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »

Seven is handy because it means every round contains some weekend.  Weekend's are useful for matching up people in wildly different time zones (US-specific prizes understood).

perhaps at least five day deadlines that can be up to seven to include weekends?

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 01:42:46 pm »

In my opinion Goko is not suitable for tournament play at the moment. I'll send Yuma a private mail with my concerns.

this tournament, if necessary to play on goko, will not be played until goko is at a point where it is reasonable to do so.

I believe I said above that if and only if iso is down for maintenence issues and if both players have access and want to play on beta goko they could (I think grujah and someone else did in isodom 5) but those players must accept the beta as an unreliable platform for tournaments. But that is a fringe situation
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 20 queries.