Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #2: Feodum, Cultist, Ruined Market  (Read 186091 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #2: Feodum, Cultist, Ruined Market
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »
+1

But you're thinking of it as getting a ruin compared to getting nothing.

I think +1 Card, and even +1 Action are both better than a truly blank card (or a Curse or an Estate).

So maybe the rule for Ruins is more utility than a curse, less utility than a card you would spend money on.

IMO, +1 Action is just barely better than a blank card.  It is only better in edge cases -- TR, KC, Conspirator, HoP, etc.  Otherwise, it is functionally equivalent to a Confusion.  You might as well not be able to play it.

+1 Card is better than +1 Action in that, if you have an extra Action at the end, you can play it and get the next card.  It eats an action, sure, but it still hurts less than a Confusion that just takes up room.

+$1 is similar in that it eats your action in exchange for a Copper.

+1 Buy gives something potentially useful as well.

+1 Action is the worst one in almost all cases and would basically be a Confusion card.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2012, 03:35:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure +1 Buy is the only one you might buy, seeing as it's the only one not every board has.  +$1 is a worse copper, +1 Card wastes your action, +1 Action wastes a card.

Pedantic Man!
Not every board draws you cards. Well, you say, it only gets the one card back, so that does nothing - true... normally! But there are two cards for which you actually get to draw EXTRA cards this way: Golem and King's Court. So, with no other +cards, but you COULD build some enormous actiony enginey awesomesauce, except that there are NO +CARDS CARDS AT ALL (like, no cantrips, no nothin' - I guess there are some kinds of +action cards that aren't cantrips, a la lighthouse, festival, fishing village), and there is at least one of golem and king's court, in that situation, you might want those ruined smithies (or whatever they will be called.

What do you mean that will never happen? Didn't stop them from printing Scout!

Hey, in Harem/Nobles games, you'll be very glad of a Scout.  And they can help you get those Estates in hand for Chapel/Remodel/Ambassador.
Hey, you know what, I've actually played a billion, er, around 11,000 games, and you know what, even in these situations, the vast majority of the time, no, no I wasn't glad of scout. Or a couple times I was glad that my opponent wanted it.
But I'm not so much saying that it never ever ever happens, only that a hypothetical free terminal +1 card card is good as often.
Yeah.

Okay, almost as often.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »

Whoever suggested Ruined Black Market (which only and always contains Scout) already won this game.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2012, 03:38:49 pm »
+6

Breaking News from RGG guys:

There is going to be one more Dominion Expansion following the Guilds. It will be called Dominion: Scout Still Sucks. It will contain 500 cards with the theme "Cards that don't make Scout any better" and the subthemes of "Cards that don't care about Scout" and "Cards that actually make buying Scout a lot worse."
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2012, 03:40:22 pm »

Ruined Envoy?  Reveal the top card of your deck.  The player to your left chooses one to discard; put the rest in your hand?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2012, 03:52:09 pm »

Ruined Possession.  The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one, in which you can see all cards he does, just to spite you.  When he trashes a card, he can choose to set it aside, putting it in his discard at the end of his turn, if he feels like it.  Also, he can play Outpost to infinity.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2012, 03:57:43 pm »
+1

Insomniac plays a Graverobber
...trashing a Cultist
......Drawing 3 Cards
......Gaining a province
Insomniac buys a province.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2012, 04:39:53 pm »

I mentioned this before, but I'm intrigued by the Ruins/ Scrying Pool interaction. Coupled with some villages, or failing that Vaults, I could see it as a way to make your deck being flooded with tiny terminal actions into an asset.

He/him

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2012, 04:59:13 pm »

I mentioned this before, but I'm intrigued by the Ruins/ Scrying Pool interaction. Coupled with some villages, or failing that Vaults, I could see it as a way to make your deck being flooded with tiny terminal actions into an asset.

And Poor Houses! (which I think you mentioned before, and also counts as a tiny terminal, along with the ruins.)

Listerfiend

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2012, 04:59:53 pm »

Ruins are better than curses for your opponent much of the time because they are actions.

Library can skip over ruins but not curses. Seems like a decent counter to them in general.
Transmute can trash them for Duchys.
They power up Vineyard.
Scrying Pool likes them.
Graverobber can trash them.
In general they are a little better for Cornucopia cards that care about differently named cards. Menagerie, Harvest, Fairgrounds.

They are worse for a few cards.

Shanty Town is worse than it already is.
Farming Village and Golem pass over curses but hit ruins.
Rabble will discard your opponents ruins.
Hunting Party won't skip over differently named ruins.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:20 pm »

Ruins should give us a new Max Fairgrounds score, if anyone cares to calculate it. And Menagerie is gonna be a decent counter to ruins attacks.

He/him

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 07, 2012, 05:05:14 pm »

Ruins should give us a new Max Fairgrounds score, if anyone cares to calculate it. And Menagerie is gonna be a decent counter to ruins attacks.

10 + 1 (bane) + 4 (treasures) + 4 (victory) + 1 (potion) + 5 (tourney) + 5 (ruins) + 1 (curse) = 31

31/5*2=12 each.

I'm ignoring Black Market for sanity's sake.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 07, 2012, 05:06:41 pm »

No point to calculating Fairgrounds at the moment; in the middle of a new set being previewed. How many cards would you count from the new set? We don't yet know how many differently named cards Dark Ages has for sure.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:25 pm »
+2

Odd thing - Poor House cannot serve as a Bane...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2012, 05:37:19 pm »
+1

I bet this has been mentioned, but ruins are going to be an amazing pile to pile out with goons. Costs 0 and doesn't give negative VP like curses!

play2draw

« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2012, 05:54:21 pm »

No point to calculating Fairgrounds at the moment; in the middle of a new set being previewed. How many cards would you count from the new set? We don't yet know how many differently named cards Dark Ages has for sure.

True. Considering that this set has 35 kingdom cards instead of the usual 25, and five of these cards are Ruins, it wouldn't surprise me if another five cards are Shelters.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2012, 05:58:05 pm »

True. Considering that this set has 35 kingdom cards instead of the usual 25, and five of these cards are Ruins, it wouldn't surprise me if another five cards are Shelters.

Ruins aren't Kingdom cards.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »

Ruins aren't Kingdom cards.

Yeah, the 35 Kingdom cards don't include Ruins or Shelters.

play2draw

« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »

Good point. I take it back.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »

Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet but a ruined gardens would be awesome!
-1 point for every 10 cards in your deck.

It's like a sometimes-super curse!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

But the ruins do partially explain why we need 500 cards for only  35 kingdom cards. Still 100 MIA, though.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #271 on: August 07, 2012, 06:09:46 pm »

Didn't Donald say Dark Ages would have cards you can only get from other cards?  I'm guessing that explains the missing ones...
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 07, 2012, 06:10:48 pm »

But the ruins do partially explain why we need 500 cards for only  35 kingdom cards. Still 100 MIA, though.
Well, some of those 100 are victory cards, which get 12 instead of 10.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 07, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »

Didn't Donald say Dark Ages would have cards you can only get from other cards?  I'm guessing that explains the missing ones...
This was largely speculated, but I don't remember Donald ever saying it.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2012, 06:13:01 pm »
+1

Here it is:

This is the 7th addition to the game of Dominion. It is 500 cards but is not a standalone. It adds 35 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, plus new bad cards you give to other players (Ruins), new cards to replace starting Estates (Shelters), and cards you can only get via specific other cards.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.