Dominion > Tournaments and Events

PAX Prime 2012 Dominion Tournament

(1/4) > >>

Lackey:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pass along info about the Dominion tournament at PAX Prime at the end of this month.

While we ran our League format at the past two PAXes, and while they were very successful, we are retiring this method due to some logistical difficulties: Namely, that it was very hard for enough people to log all of the matches necessary to qualify for the finals - as at PAX, attendees tend to wander from area to area, and only the very few dedicated players log a game in every variation needed to qualify. So, a change was necessary, to better serve the audience that attends PAX. We've moved many of our tournaments to a Qualifier Block system, where two separate heats will determine players that advance onto a Finals on Sunday.

Also, please be aware - all of the PAX tabletop tournaments will take place in the Red Lion Hotel's Emerald Ballroom. This is about 3 blocks away from the Washington State Convention Center.

The PAX Dominion tournament will work as follows:

Dominion Qualifier Block A (2 rounds) - Friday, Aug 31 - 12:00pm - 2:00 pm
Dominion Qualifier Block B (2 rounds) - Saturday, Sep 1 - 4:00pm - 6:00 pm
Dominion Finals (For players advancing from the Qualifiers only: 3 rounds) - Sunday, Sep 2 - 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Qualifier Blocks

Dominion Qualifiers will take place over two rounds, using the following versions:

Round 1 - Kingdom cards using Dominion base only (Top two from each game advance - yes, top two, not just the winner)
Round 2 - Kingdom cards using Dominion Intrigue only (Winners from each game advance)

The Kingdom card sets used for the Qualifying rounds will be posted at the signup kiosk starting Friday morning. The top eight players after two rounds will advance to Sunday’s Finals.

If you do not make it into the finals after Qualifier A, you ARE ALLOWED to participate in Qualifier B - however, you'd start out on the signup sheet on the Waitlist. This is to ensure that as many unique people as possible can participate, but if it doesn't fill up, then you'd have a 2nd chance.

Finals:

Players who advanced through Qualifiers A or B will participate in the Dominion Finals. Additional game expansions (possibly including Dark Ages - no promises though!) will be used, and revealed at the start of the event.

I know there has been discussion on these forums in the past about how PAX Dominion tournaments have operated. I hope these changes will allow for both casual and competitive Dominion players to enjoy the event.

A full list of all of the PAX Tabletop tournaments can be found at http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/category/tt-p

Have fun, and I hope to see you there!

Lackey
PAX Prime 2012 Tabletop Deputy Manager - Tournaments

Young Nick:

--- Quote from: Lackey on August 06, 2012, 03:07:24 pm ---Qualifier Blocks

Dominion Qualifiers will take place over two rounds, using the following versions:

Round 1 - Kingdom cards using Dominion base only (Top two from each game advance - yes, top two, not just the winner)
Round 2 - Kingdom cards using Dominion Intrigue only (Winners from each game advance)

The Kingdom card sets used for the Qualifying rounds will be posted at the signup kiosk starting Friday morning. The top eight players after two rounds will advance to Sunday’s Finals.

--- End quote ---

Underlined part mine. Not that I intend on going, but that is just painful to read.

Nullzone:

--- Quote from: Young Nick on August 06, 2012, 04:26:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lackey on August 06, 2012, 03:07:24 pm ---Qualifier Blocks

--- End quote ---

Underlined part mine. Not that I intend on going, but that is just painful to read.

--- End quote ---

Do you mean the post formatting or the actual tournament? If the latter, would you mind elaborating?

Full disclosure: I've been working with Lackey to help make this tournament happen, so feedback is good, but I'm also just curious about the dynamic of Dominion tournaments and players on the whole.

theory:
I think his point is that having played a lot of Dominion, an all-Intrigue or all-base Dominion sounds pretty boring.  But I think that's a reasonable thing to do for an IRL qualifying round.

ednever:
Not sure I follow.

How many players are there in a game?

Sounds like its something like:
In each block people divided into groups on 3 (4?)
They play one game.
First and second place advance to round two (rest eliminated)
Round two players divided up into groups of 2?3?4?
Those players play a single game.
The winner of each game advances to finals.
There will be exactly 8 games in the second round?

So a title of sixteen in the finals?
Or do only 4 advance from each round?

Or something else?

On YN's point: I think he means "single set dominion, especially base-only dominion, is pretty terrible for good experienced players. Both random and limited options."

If there are 2 experience players at a base only table the winner is pretty well determined by luck and seating position.

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version