Archive > Dominion: Dark Ages Previews

Dark Ages Preview #1: Graverobber, Poor House, Sage

(1/60) > >>

theory:
This is the first of several previews by Donald X. Vaccarino, introducing the next Dominion expansion: Dark Ages.

There comes a time in every man’s life when he must preview Dark Ages cards. On second thought maybe that’s not as universal as I was thinking. Anyway, metaphorically, there comes a time etc. And that time for me is now. Actually it was a few minutes ago, when you were reading the cards. I figured I’d just let you keep reading though. Have your fun. I can wait. Okay then.

Dark Ages has several themes and mini-themes. It’s a big sprawling expansion. I am previewing three cards a day, that’s how big it is. It’s also the crazy combo expansion, and today’s cards demonstrate that without even trying.

Graverobber is the way to get things from the trash that you always knew I’d make eventually. What you didn’t know is that it would look like that. If you’re gonna take things from the trash, you have to make sure there are good things to get. Graverobber does this by rewarding you for trashing expensive actions – just the kind of thing you’ll want back later. And when you do take a card from the trash, it puts it on your deck, so you’ll draw it before the game is over. Of course if someone else has Graverobbers, maybe they’ll get that card first. It’s a competitive business in these troubled times.

Poor House says, build a deck with no money. Also a Village, no money and a Village. If you can’t trash your money, at least discard it somehow. And it costs $1. Why even have a card that costs $1 – aren’t you usually going to be paying at least $2 for it? Well sure, but you know. Not always. Anyway it’s cool to have a card that costs $1, I don’t know what to tell you.

There’s a tendency to want to show off the most exotic cards, but I don’t want people to think the set will just be non-stop confusion. So I’m also showing off a simpler card, Sage. Dig for a card costing $3 or more, that’s all there is to it. It will turn into something good for a while; then eventually it will start reminding you about those Provinces you bought. And of course sometimes a Sage just wants you to talk to another Sage.

ashersky:
Graverobber a Graverobber for a Province, then graverob it out of the trash.  Repeat.

Could you do conceivable do that all in a hand with KC or TR?  These look fun!

philosophyguy:
Well, Poor House creates an interesting nombo with Upgrade—not only can you not trash your starting Coppers, but your deck would gain a terminal money that is worse for you having Coppers left.

Kuildeous:
OMG! A 1-cost card.

Yeah, that's what I took from it. Will examine in greater depth later.

Tdog:

--- Quote from: philosophyguy on August 06, 2012, 09:14:03 am ---Well, Poor House creates an interesting nombo with Upgrade—not only can you not trash your starting Coppers, but your deck would gain a terminal money that is worse for you having Coppers left.

--- End quote ---
Or is it a combo- trash all your coppers, making every poor house worth 4?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version