Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My Dominion Fan Set: Woodlands  (Read 5640 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
My Dominion Fan Set: Woodlands
« on: August 05, 2012, 06:23:29 pm »

I did some massive overhaul on my Woodlands fan set. I threw out some cards, redid others, and added a bunch more. It's a lot better than before.

There are 16 cards in the set and I am looking for feedback on all of them!  ;D

I've also decided to keep things simple and post them all at once.

The theme for the set is: "Cards that get better or worse as the game progresses"

Now, here's the cards:

2 Cost:

Wildfire
Action
If this is the first time you have played this card this turn, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 other Wildfire cards. Put them into your hand.
+1 Action
+1$

This card is pretty cool. The more you have, the more often you can play it. It's a gold if you can get 3.

3 cost

Sawmill
Action
+1 Buy
When gain this card, put it onto your Sawmill mat. During any turn, you may add any amount of cards on your Sawmill mat to your hand.

It's a buy when you need it. Once this is in your deck, though, it becomes a nuisance without any spare actions. One of my favorite cards.

Shaman
Action
+2$
During cleanup, you may put this card on top of your deck.

Excellent in BM decks. Can cause terminal collision in Engine decks.

Hunter
Action
+2$
Trash a card from the supply.

A niche card. Can cause piling, counter decks that revolve around one card, or drain Provinces while ahead.

4 Cost

Vender
Action
+1$
+1 Card
If no supply piles are empty:
+1 Action
Gain a Vender

A trap card! The more you play it, the more you get, the more get, the faster it's pile runs out. And once its pile runs out you'll be left with a bunch of terminal actions. Eagerly looking for suggestions to make this card work much smoother.

Squire
Action/Attack
+2 Cards
Every other may reveal 2 Estate cards from their hand. Those who don't, gain an Estate.

The first attack card in the set, and a junker at that. Powerful early game, but can really help people late game.

Sacrifice
Action
Trash up to 3 cards in your hand, or trash this card.

This set's trasher! Original version was too good of an opener. Thank you One Armed Man for this version!

Cottage
Action
+1 Card
+3 Actions

Pretty vanilla card. Weaker than a lot of the other 4 cost villages, but fit perfectly in this set.

5 Cost

Jewels
Treasure
0$
Choose a treasure card in play. This is worth as much as the chosen Treasure.

The engine version of Venture! Early game, this is usually a Copper, but late game it can be a Gold! Pretty nifty and not as subject to mindless playing as Venture is. I'm just afraid it might be too weak. I just hope the ability to choose which Treasure for it to represent will make up for it's 0 money output.

Encampment
Action
+2 Cards
You may spend an Encampment token. If you do, +2 Cards
When you gain this, take 2 Encampment tokens.

My solution to the +4 Cards terminal drawer. Speeds up an engine, but the engine's going to need to learn to survive once you are out of tokens. Use them sparingly. Considering lowering gained tokens to 1.

Lodge
Action
If this is the first time you've played this card this turn:
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
Otherwise, choose one: +2 Cards, or +2 Actions

The name is a play-off of Inn. I really like this card. I don't know of it's strength though. Sometimes I think it's too good, other times, too weak. Might remove bottom part and change it to an Envoy feel.

Banquet
Action
Trash this card, gain 2 cards costing up to 5.
This card cannot be bought if you have 5 or more Coppers in play

This card idea isn't new, I know that. I added the Copper restriction to prevent first turn buys. Pretty solid card, but only really shines when there's lots of 5s

Haunted Grove
Action/Attack
+1 Buy
While this card is in play, every other player gains a Curse card for each card bought in your Buy phase besides the first one.

This set's curser! It's stack able, but not kings court/throne room able. One of the most creative cards I've created, and also another one of my favorites. Forcing you to buy 2 or more cards to give curses is bad for you early game, but that buy can be helpful late game.

Burial Ground
Action/Reaction
Trash a card from your hand.
Whenever you trash a non victory card costing 5 or less, you may reveal this card from your hand, then set it aside. Either you gain a copy of then trashed card or everyone else does. Return this card to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Another unique card. Afraid it might be too good, but I really like it's interaction with this set. The action part of this is so that it's not useless in non-trashing games. I have a feeling we'll end up seeing a reaction similar to this when Dark Ages comes out  :P

6+ Cost

Plantation
Victory
Cost: 9*
Worth 1 VP per Plantation card in your deck.
Setup: Give each player 10 Plantation tokens. Whenever you buy a Plantation card, remove a Plantation token. This card costs 1 less for every 2 Plantation tokens you have, rounded down.

The most complicated of all cards in the set. But the whole token maths make the idea of "1 VP per this card" idea not overpowered.

Acreage
Action/Victory
Costs: 6
2 VP
Reveal cards from your deck until you've revealed three Victory cards, putting them into your hand. Discard the rest of the revealed cards.  Then discard as many Victory cards as you want from your hand, and draw that many cards.

This card is the one I haven't play tested that much.  It's +3 Cards if you have 3 VP cards in your deck, more if you have more. It seems balanced, but I don't know. It interacts with itself, and makes Scout better as well as Crossroads.

That's all of them! I think most of these are balanced, but I still need some feedback.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I'm also looking for someone who card make these cards, either own their own or sending me templates.

P.P.S. If you have also have any name suggestions to make these cards more on theme with "Woodlands" that would be much appreciated too!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:42:50 pm by Archetype »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: My Dominion Fan Set: Woodlands
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 06:46:59 pm »

2 Cost:

Wildfire
Action
If this is the first time you have played this card this turn, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal another Wildfire card. Put it into your hand.
+1 Action
+1$

This card is pretty cool. The more you have, the more likely you'll find another one. Might change until you reveal 2 Wildfires.

So... if you have one, it's a copper. If you have two, they're both Silvers that cycle your deck for you unless they're in the same hand. Nifty. If you have three, they're... still Silvers that cycle, but you get less cycling, and a higher probability that they'll be in the same hand. So... why do you want more than two?

Hunter
Action
Trash a card from the supply.

A niche card. Can cause piling, counter decks that revolve around one card, or drain Provinces while ahead.

My gut feeling is that this needs either +$2 or +2 cards or +1 card +1 Action, or nobody will ever buy it.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:26:01 pm »

You would want more because the higher likelyhood up getting them. I could change it to:
 "If this is the first time youve played this card, reveal cards from your deck, setting aside all copies of Wildfire, until all cards have been revealed. Put all the set aside cards into your hand.
+1 Action
+1$"
Though its interaction with Tunnel might be too good.

I could give a bonus to Hunter, but Supply trashing is suprising powerful as a counter to alt VP. I also want it to be a card you want to play for its bonus, and not its Vanilla effect.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:59:13 pm »

You would want more because the higher likelyhood up getting them. I could change it to:
 "If this is the first time youve played this card, reveal cards from your deck, setting aside all copies of Wildfire, until all cards have been revealed. Put all the set aside cards into your hand.
+1 Action
+1$"

That's completely different. That makes it basically +$1 per copy of Wildfire you have in your deck, which is way better than $1 if you have one, $2 if you have two or more. But with this new description it sounds way overpowered—compare to Fool's Gold.

I could give a bonus to Hunter, but Supply trashing is suprising powerful as a counter to alt VP. I also want it to be a card you want to play for its bonus, and not its Vanilla effect.

People buy Witch because they want to hand out curses, not because they want +2 cards; but if it didn't have +2 cards, Witch would be too underpowered to use.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:13:59 pm »
+1

People buy Witch because they want to hand out curses, not because they want +2 cards; but if it didn't have +2 cards, Witch would be too underpowered to use.

Just about all the vanilla effects are, on their own, terrible.  You'd never buy Chancellor or Swindler if all you wanted was the +$2, because Silver would be far superior (most of the time), as it is not a terminal action.  In Swindler's case, you buy it because the alternate effect is powerful.  In Chancellor's case, maybe you want it, and maybe you just want treasure-as-action (resistance to Pirate Ship, target for TR/KC, better draw in Scrying Pool, etc).  Either way, if somebody finds a situation where they want a Chancellor, does it really matter why they bought it?

Where I'm going with this is that if people don't buy your card for its primary effect, then it's probably a bad effect in the first place.  So withholding a vanilla effect, in an attempt to make people use it for what you designed it for, isn't going to fix the card -- it'll just mean it gets bought even less often.

I'm not a huge fan of supply trashers in general.  I tend to think they have more theoretical use than practical.  (I remember reading that Donald X. experimented with them, but they weren't much fun.)  But I've seen a lot of them as fan cards, some of them seeming okay and some not.  Yours is about the weakest possible version of the idea, though.  I can't imagine ever ever ever wanting to buy one.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 08:24:41 pm »

Yeah, thats what I had Wildfire previosly and it was too good. So I limited to one, but thats probably too weak, I'll probably change it to search for 2 Wildfires

You do have a point about Hunter. I just dont want to do 1 card and 1 action as it too much like Upgrade. I could do 2$. I dont want to make it non terminal because a strategy could be to just drain the Province pile as quickly as possible.

And I dont think that would be good for the game.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:10 pm »
+1

As I indicated in the Rinkworks contest for Villages, I don't think that +2 Cards, +2 Actions you can get once per turn are good for the game, since everyone can get one safely.

Vender, Scavenger, Encampment, and Haunted Grove look good.

A better card than sacrifice would be a 4-cost action that said:
Trash up to 3 cards from your hand or this card.

Haunted Grove is weak without +Buy or +Actions, but with either it works pretty well. If you play a Village and 2 Haunted Groves, you can give opponents 4 curses by buying 2 Pearl Divers and a copper. Even still, it is weaker than doing that with Throne-Rooming 2 Mountebanks, since you don't get bonus coin.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 02:33:25 pm »

As I indicated in the Rinkworks contest for Villages, I don't think that +2 Cards, +2 Actions you can get once per turn are good for the game, since everyone can get one safely.

Vender, Scavenger, Encampment, and Haunted Grove look good.

A better card than sacrifice would be a 4-cost action that said:
Trash up to 3 cards from your hand or this card.

Haunted Grove is weak without +Buy or +Actions, but with either it works pretty well. If you play a Village and 2 Haunted Groves, you can give opponents 4 curses by buying 2 Pearl Divers and a copper. Even still, it is weaker than doing that with Throne-Rooming 2 Mountebanks, since you don't get bonus coin.
Thanks for the suggestions One Armed Man!

Lodge is interesting. It's very good, so you want to get lots of them, but if you do, then the other ones aren't as good.
It is just such a great boost for your deck, but it is too good, because you can usually just buy 1 and no more. I could probably change it and give it an Envoy like feel:
Lodge
Cost: 5
Action
+2 Actions
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses one to discard. Put the other 2 into your hand.

I've been looking for a way to make Sacrifice work well without being too good without being too good at the beginning. This looks like a nice suggestion, thanks!

Originally I had Haunted Grove at 4, but that was too good. Surprisingly, it's good where it's at now. Once the curses are gone, that +1 Buy can be very helpful, and since they are stack able, they are great in an engine.

I could add a +1$ though, I just think it would make it slightly overpowered.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 02:38:00 pm »

I think the cost of Haunted Grove is fine. I don't know why everyone is obsessed with making Cursers the best cards ever.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 02:47:51 pm »

Yeah. I thought so

And you know what you mean about the Curse givers. I just hope there's a non Curse giver in Dark Ages that can de-throne Mountebank.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:36 am »

No other comments?

Also, it seems I was the only one that liked the name Squire  ;D

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »

No other comments/suggestions?

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 08:43:55 pm »

Jewels
Auto-Destruct Sequence put out a card at this cost with this ability (after you did), but it had a Reaction of "If opponent gains a Treasure, you can trash this from your hand to gain a copy." http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3984.0
That card is more interesting than Jewels, so you might want to come up with something different. It seems you already commented on that.

Hunter
I am a little wary about a player using 2 Hunters to reduce the Province pile down to 3 and winning with a 2-1 province split. Maybe a Kingdom-only or non-Province clause?

Plantation
I still don't like "More VP for the same card"

Acreage
I like it better without the discard Victories to draw cards line. Trophy Room by popsofctown for the Terminal Draw challenge posted a similar card as a $2 action. That version didn't let you discard and draw, and it worked well without the VP. The returning of the non-VP cards to the deck of the other card improved hand quality more. As an action-victory, it is particularly good that way because each one finds the next, potentially stripping your deck of victories!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:13:19 pm by One Armed Man »

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 09:58:17 am »

6+ Cost

Plantation
Victory
Cost: 9*
Worth 1 VP per Plantation card in your deck.
Setup: Give each player 10 Plantation tokens. Whenever you buy a Plantation card, remove a Plantation token. This card costs 1 less for every 2 Plantation tokens you have, rounded down.
So, with 10 tokens, this costs 4. That means, Ironworks+this=Win.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:43 am »

Hunter
I am a little wary about a player using 2 Hunters to reduce the Province pile down to 3 and winning with a 2-1 province split. Maybe a Kingdom-only or non-Province clause?

I don't really see this as a problem. It's a different strategy, sure, but it's hardly unheard of. People use Forge or Salvager similarly all the time.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 11:40:59 am »

Forge costs 7, and Salvager can only work when you have a province in hand. Neither also produce $2. Neither can start doing so from turn 3 onward.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 03:39:58 pm »

Wildfire - I like this one. A lot.

Sawmill - Feels weak. I'd add +1 Action, it doesn't seem like that would make it OP.

Shaman - Strictly better than Silver in a BM deck. Some sort of nerf, perhaps?

Hunter - Good card, but feels like it should cost $4

Vender - Dunno, seems like it would be fine at $3, or with 20 in the supply (or both). It would still run out fast, but 20 seems a bit better.

Squire - Don't like it at all. Makes boring games without trashing available.

Sacrifice - A weaker-than-Chapel that can trash itself when you're done using it. Not worth $4, IMO. Maybe $3

Cottage - Dunno, this hasn't really been thought about much. Could work.

Jewels - Feels like the DA card. I'd scrap it.

Encampment - Feels ok, maybe slightly weak compared to other $5's, but I think it's fine.

Lodge - Would probably be perfect at $4

Banquet - Could work, I dunno about this one. (Playtest)

Haunted Grove - I like, but it may be a bit powerful.

Burial Ground - Feels really, really weak. Maybe let it trash 2 cards?

Plantation - You seem to have solved the "1vp per copy of this in your deck" problem. I love it.

Acreage - I like, but I have no clue how good it'd be.

Those are my thoughts. Feel free to ignore all of them.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 04:03:35 pm »

Wildfire - I like this one. A lot.

Sawmill - Feels weak. I'd add +1 Action, it doesn't seem like that would make it OP.

Shaman - Strictly better than Silver in a BM deck. Some sort of nerf, perhaps?

Hunter - Good card, but feels like it should cost $4

Vender - Dunno, seems like it would be fine at $3, or with 20 in the supply (or both). It would still run out fast, but 20 seems a bit better.

Squire - Don't like it at all. Makes boring games without trashing available.

Sacrifice - A weaker-than-Chapel that can trash itself when you're done using it. Not worth $4, IMO. Maybe $3

Cottage - Dunno, this hasn't really been thought about much. Could work.

Jewels - Feels like the DA card. I'd scrap it.

Encampment - Feels ok, maybe slightly weak compared to other $5's, but I think it's fine.

Lodge - Would probably be perfect at $4

Banquet - Could work, I dunno about this one. (Playtest)

Haunted Grove - I like, but it may be a bit powerful.

Burial Ground - Feels really, really weak. Maybe let it trash 2 cards?

Plantation - You seem to have solved the "1vp per copy of this in your deck" problem. I love it.

Acreage - I like, but I have no clue how good it'd be.

Those are my thoughts. Feel free to ignore all of them.
Thanks for the input Graystripe!

I'm considering scrapping Hunter and Jewels because supply trashing is too powerful and Jewels is too similiar to Counterfeit. Hunter was made to counter Plantation and Vender.

Sacrifice does need to cost 4, Sawmill is excellent in engines, but I could probably test it with +1 Action, but in engines you usually have an excess of Actions.

Burial Grounds is deceptively powerful. I can be a junker, it can reuse one shots, and it combos very well with many of the DA cards. The action portion is just so it combos with itself.

Haunted Grove isn't too powerful. It's pretty much you gain a Copper, everyone else gains a Curse, but with much more flexibility and a lot more useful late game.

I like Vender and Lodge how they are, they are much more powerful if they are cheaper.

Squire's interesting. I'm definitely changing the name, but it's cool as a counter to it is Acreage.

I'm also starting to make images of the cards, so those should be out soon!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.933 seconds with 20 queries.