Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Warlock  (Read 7526 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Warlock
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:16:38 pm »

Warlock
Action-Reaction
$4

Discard a Curse.  If you do, +$3.

------

When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.  At the start of your next turn,  return this to your hand.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »

I remember there being a problem with these kinds of reactions.

Maybe it was something Donald X. said, but I can't find his post nor do I dare misquote him.

I guess it had to do with targeting, but also that Attacks need to be strong and you shouldn't have to worry about playing them. A Moat only helps the defender, but doesn't hurt you. When your own Attack can hurt you, that's not good.

Of course the card tries to solve this by setting it aside, but even Scrying Pool is an Attack.

If someone can find the comment or topic by Donald X. it would be really helpful.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:27:39 pm »

I was bearing that in mind, and that's why this Reaction doesn't stop an Attack.  And there's the added benefit that you can do something with those Curses with this self-same card - there may be a lot of Curses thrown around.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:30:55 pm »
+1

I think this card has 2 problems:

1) It's useless with no attack cards on the board, but I guess attacks are common enough that it should still do something in a decent number of games.
2) It's actually pretty weak against most attacks. Unless you are getting hit most turns, it's very risky to buy a card which will literally do nothing when you have it most of the time. At least moat gives you 2 cards.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:43:15 pm »

Imagine this vs poor spy. :D

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »

It would be very good against any sort of repeated attack like Minion or Scrying pool, or maybe a strong engine which is playing a lot of attacks. But that's really it.

UltimaPenguin

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »

Maybe it was something Donald X. said, but I can't find his post nor do I dare misquote him.

I guess it had to do with targeting, but also that Attacks need to be strong and you shouldn't have to worry about playing them. A Moat only helps the defender, but doesn't hurt you. When your own Attack can hurt you, that's not good.

I can't find it either, but as I recall the gist of it was that if you have a card like this on the table, it only does anything if people are buying attacks. But if this card is on the table, people are going to be much less likely to buy attacks. And if as a result, people don't buy attacks, then nobody buys this either. So the goal is to add an interesting new dynamic, but in practice it often is going to result in two dead cards, which is no fun.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »

If someone can find the comment or topic by Donald X. it would be really helpful.

It's the first topic in the Bible of Donald X. board.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 04:46:27 pm »
+2

I can't find it either, but as I recall the gist of it was that if you have a card like this on the table, it only does anything if people are buying attacks. But if this card is on the table, people are going to be much less likely to buy attacks. And if as a result, people don't buy attacks, then nobody buys this either. So the goal is to add an interesting new dynamic, but in practice it often is going to result in two dead cards, which is no fun.

Well, that's usually what happens with Thief.  Thief is on the board, oh, I better not buy Treasures.  He's not buying any Treasures, oh, it would be pointless to buy Thief.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:52:56 pm »

Except thief is more likely to help your opponents than hurt them in the early game. So it's more like, yeah I'm buying this silver, buy a thief, I dare you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:01:31 pm »

Yeah, I don't think people are afraid of buying Treasures against Thief.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 05:31:21 pm »
+1

I think it was a rather funny joke, why is no one else laughing?

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 06:46:21 pm »

that's slightly different, in an important way. the question he was answering is why not have a reaction that hurts the attacker. the answer had to do with math, and the comparison of benefits to the players involved. (roughly, in a four-player game, giving one player a curse is only worth 1/3rd of a point, which means it's rarely worth it, but if you balance it to make it worth it it becomes crippling for that one individual you hit.) this doesn't have that problem, since it gives a curse to each other player. so I still get my full point of damage without overly crippling a single player.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 08:05:27 pm »
+1

Warlock
Action-Reaction
$4

------

When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, each other player gains a Curse.  At the start of your next turn,  return this to your hand.

So, I play Witch, you reveal Warlock, and players 3 and 4 get two curses each?
I play Witch, all three players reveal Warlock, and everybody gets three curses?

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:43 pm »

one idea on how to solve the "no attacks" problem is to, instead of making it "when another player plays an attack card", make it "when you gain a curse". it makes it not the world's biggest overreaction to spy, but it lets you always use it by just buying a curse if you have the extra buy, or use any other gaining mechanism. you could even make it replace the curse-gaining, so you don't actually fall behind, letting you use it with Wharf to craft your own witch.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 11:46:34 pm »

one idea on how to solve the "no attacks" problem is to, instead of making it "when another player plays an attack card", make it "when you gain a curse". it makes it not the world's biggest overreaction to spy, but it lets you always use it by just buying a curse if you have the extra buy, or use any other gaining mechanism. you could even make it replace the curse-gaining, so you don't actually fall behind, letting you use it with Wharf to craft your own witch.

I gain a Curse.  I reveal Warlock.  Players 2, 3, 4 gain Curses.

Player 2 reveals Warlock.  I and players 3, 4 gain Curses.

Player 3 reveals Warlock.  I and players 2, 4 gain Curses.

Player 4 reveals Warlock.  I and players 2, 3 gain Curses.

I reveal another Warlock...

Silly, isn't it?

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 12:01:29 am »

Silly, isn't it?
I mean, if they all happen to collide like that, yes, but how likely is that?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 02:14:57 am »

Admittedly, I was too lazy to look it up. :)

But I had expected it to be a comment regarding some other card, not that it was in his own bible!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 03:51:34 am »

that's slightly different, in an important way.

I agree that it's different, and I quite like Warlock (I was in Golem mode when I just posted the link).  Compared with a Vanilla Curser Warlock has the disadvantage that it can't attack on it's own, but the advantage that it can activate several times a round in a multiplayer game.  In 4p it might be too much of a deterrent against attacks, but in 2p Witch would still get bought with Warlock on the board (it's not obviously as much of a deterrent as Trader, for example).

EDIT: It cannot activate multiple times a round.  I can't see any objections to the Reaction part.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:09:02 am by qmech »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 07:02:50 am »

Silly, isn't it?

Only two people would have to both have Warlocks in hand to loop like this.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 08:54:40 am »

Why not ditch the reaction and have it as:

Warlock
Action
$4
+1 card, +1 action.

OR
Gain a curse in your hand.

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 11:29:17 am »

Silly, isn't it?

Only two people would have to both have Warlocks in hand to loop like this.
not if it's set aside like the original says.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 11:58:37 am »

Warlock
Action-Reaction
$4

------

How about for the primary effect:

Gain or discard a Curse. If you do either, +$3.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »

How about for the primary effect:

Gain or discard a Curse. If you do either, +$3.

At this point a comparison to Baron is tempting.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 01:32:32 am »

Except Baron works on estates, which you start with, and gives you $4 and a buy.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.762 seconds with 21 queries.