Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dirty, Dirty (Combo) Deck  (Read 1330 times)

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
Dirty, Dirty (Combo) Deck
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:44:08 am »

I forgot to grab the log, but yesterday I played against a guy named Sky (maybe it was Spy?). He was level 27, so I was surprised when he opened Potion seeing as the only Potion card on the board was Golem. "Huh," I said to myself. "This game is probably just about over on turn one. What a n00b. How'd he get to be lvl 27 anyway?"

I then proceeded to get crushed and was forced to resign. I can't even remember the last time I resigned because I was so hopelessly getting crushed. His deck: Golem, Golem, Scheme, Scheme, Ghost Ship, Witch. He top-decks two Golems each turn and plays Ghost Ship and Witch with both Schemes. I guess it could have stalled if he had draw both terminals with the first Golem, but that never happened. It was unstoppable. I watched as my Silver/Silver opening for the early Witch proved to be helpless. Curses were pumped into my deck so quickly, not that I saw them, because I never reshuffled thanks to the Ghost Ship.

He just bought money and VP's as I watched, cursing at my terrible three-card hands. On that day, a single tear slid down my face for I had seen the most elegant deck Dominion has showed me, yet I had not created it myself.

Edit: Making sense.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:33:08 am by Young Nick »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty, Dirty (Combo) Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:55:28 am »

It would also break temporarily if the first Golem hit the attacks without scheme.

Was opening potion the big thing though? Probably would have been faster to get potion after Scheme and an attack, I think.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:34:25 am »

It would also break temporarily if the first Golem hit the attacks without scheme.

Was opening potion the big thing though? Probably would have been faster to get potion after Scheme and an attack, I think.

Yeah, that's what I meant, but I said "first Scheme" instead. Edited the OP.

And the Potion was interesting because it definitely looked sub-optimal. I think Silver/Silver/Potion/Scheme/Scheme would be the correct order of $5> purchases. So that makes the defeat all the more embarrassing.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:59:17 pm »

I'm almost positive the potion open was suboptimal, but the overall strategy is a good one. Using golem to pound a couple attacks and schemes to make it hit every turn is a strong one. Likely, the better open is silver/silver, then getting a witch/potion/scheme with 5/4/3 would be much stronger.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:37:51 pm »

I seem to remember playing someone once who opened potion/silver, then bought golem, witch, play witch buy saboteur, play golem using witch and saboteur, and that's about enough for me to resign.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.