Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Adventurer shines... with Ambassador and TM  (Read 717 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Adventurer shines... with Ambassador and TM
« on: August 05, 2012, 06:01:52 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/05/game-20120805-145034-790bf62d.html

I guess the other guy is pretty much a complete noob, but...

I opened Amb/Amb aggressively, then picked up a Silver, then two TMs which collided pretty readily. He had some luck as well getting an early Gold... it's kind of disturbing that for all the cards I gave him, I didn't win more decisively considering his strategy, overbuying villages and preferring FT over Ambassador (WTF, I guess he was hoping to chain them together for large amounts of money? But he never picked up a Woodcutter for the +Buy and there was no real draw available...) I even gave him one of my Ambassadors (when I decided I now had too many terminals...) and he never played it.

Anyway what I wanted to highlight was how valuable Adventurer was once I had gotten the 4 Golds and greened a bit, as it was basically guaranteed to hit the jackpot. I hadn't actually noticed Adventurer sitting there until basically right before I bought it... but on a board without meaningful draw and with the kind of deck I'd planned out, being able to skip green and pick out 2 high-value treasures is amazingly good. I know it's normally not great, but there's no way in hell I'd buy a 5th Gold here instead. :)

Should I bother trying to start cursing him here? Should I be ignoring Apothecary?

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer shines... with Ambassador and TM
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:32:54 pm »

Adventurer is really useful in those sorts of situations.  You basically are playing Chapel/Big Money sort of, with the Ambassadors serving as the Chapel equivalent... with all the coppers gone from your deck, a high density of green, and not many other terminal actions, Adventurer is pretty much the nuts -- because you do need it to get enough coin together unless you're lucky (since you'll be drawing multiple Provinces too), and it's virtually guaranteed to get you what you need (since it's probably averaging about $5 per play).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.