Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What's the link?  (Read 10806 times)

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
Re: What's the link?
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »

To recap.  On August 9, 2012, all of the following Dominion cards (excluding Dark Ages) share a particular quality.  (None of the promo cards do.)  Perhaps if you take a step back and look at all the cards together, the outlines of a solution will appear in your mind. 

Don't worry about prime numbers and stuff like that.  You don't need Google's calculator function to solve this; it's not that type of puzzle.

Quality 1:
Bank
Bridge
Chapel
City
Courtyard
Estate
Festival
Forge
Gold
Harvest
Inn
Laboratory
Pawn
University
Warehouse

EDIT: And village!  Shoot.

And all these cards share a different quality, one that's (imprecisely) the opposite quality to Quality 1.

Quality 2:
Council Room
Noble Brigand
Walled Village
Worker's Village
Young Witch

OK, here's some more information.

The algorithm I run these cards through: I didn't design it.

Regarding Dark Ages.  Of the previewed cards, only Rats has Quality 1.  Ruined Market has Quality 2.  Based on what I know of the unrevealed cards, I would guess that once they're all revealed, more cards will have Quality 2 than in any other set.

Also, I imagine that if someone slipped me a card list of the unpreviewed Dark Ages cards, and I ran them through the algorithm today, that ALMOST ALL of them would share Quality 1.  Though I can't be sure.  And of course, tomorrow will be a different story...

Oh yeah, third thing -- the results of this puzzle are very time sensitive.  A year from now, all the answers could be different.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:54:58 pm by dghunter79 »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 07:19:11 pm »

The only thing I notice is that list 2 contains all 2-word cards. Though I'm pretty sure that's not the answer, but maybe related?

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 08:48:03 pm »

The only thing I notice is that list 2 contains all 2-word cards. Though I'm pretty sure that's not the answer, but maybe related?
all the quality 1 things are 1 word. I doubt that's the whole rule (many cards would be missing from the list if it was) but it might be related.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 03:46:42 pm »

all the quality 1 things are 1 word. I doubt that's the whole rule (many cards would be missing from the list if it was) but it might be related.

Yeah, it's fairly relevant.  A good place to start might be to consider the two-word Dominion cards that made the list vs. the ones that didn't.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 05:04:12 pm »

Can someone just answer this?  I think three weeks is long enough...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 07:48:23 pm »

Can someone just answer this?  I think three weeks is long enough...

On the other hand, "On August 9, 2012, all of the following Dominion cards (excluding Dark Ages) share a particular quality". We could get a big(?) hint soon what cards have the particular quality post-DA.

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 01:39:32 am »

Yeah, it's fairly relevant.  A good place to start might be to consider the two-word Dominion cards that made the list vs. the ones that didn't.

Throne Room
Secret Chamber
Great Hall
Shanty Town
Wishing Well
Mining Village
Trading Post
Native Village
Pearl Diver
Fishing Village
Pirate Ship
Sea Hag
Treasure Map
Ghost Ship
Merchant Ship
Scrying Pool
Philosopher's Stone
Trade Route
Counting House
Royal Seal
Grand Market
King's Court
Fortune Teller
Farming Village
Horse Traders
Hunting Party
Trusty Steed
Fool's Gold
Nomad Camp
Silk Road
Spice Merchant
Ill-Gotten Gains
Border Village
Black Market

these are the ones that didn't. anyone see a pattern?

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 01:47:08 am »

council room aside, all the other trait 2 things have a word that is another card name within them, if you count "Noble" as "Nobles". this also syncs up with the Ruined Market comment, as well as the "I expect more" comment (there seem to be numerous references to prior cards in Dark Ages). maybe it has to do with just sharing a word, in which case Council Room has Throne Room. however, there would be other cards, like, all the village variants, that are missing. still, perhaps a piece of the puzzle?

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 05:47:35 am »

I guess it's even harder than I thought.  Alright, one last hint.  Here's the link to the algorithm I used.

http://tinyurl.com/2tx

argyle

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 05:48:12 am »

I didn't use Google's calculator function, but something else instead:

Quality 1 is that there is no Dominion-related search result on the first page of Google (or the search engine of your choice). 
Quality 2 is the opposite, of course.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 05:52:41 am »
+2

Ugh, if this is whether it shows up on the first google page then I was never going to find it.

Doesn't google personalise search results based on what you have searched for before?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 06:12:34 am »

I didn't use Google's calculator function, but something else instead:

Quality 1 is that there is no Dominion-related search result on the first page of Google (or the search engine of your choice). 
Quality 2 is the opposite, of course.

Yup!  Phew.  (And I'm pretty sure argyle got the answer before I gave out that last hint.)  Congrats!

Quality 1: Entering "Dominion thiscard" into Google returns a top result that is not related to Dominion.  I learned about a lot of small businesses named Dominion.  Dominion Bank, Dominion Bridge Builders, Dominion Exterminators (they kill rats...)

Quality 2: Entering thiscard into Google returns a top result that is related to Dominion.  I learned that many more Dominion cards are "things" than I realized.  l had no idea what a Silk Road was.  And I had never heard of silkroad.com.

Ugh, if this is whether it shows up on the first google page then I was never going to find it.

Doesn't google personalise search results based on what you have searched for before?

That would be funny.  In that case, you should have been using my computer, what were you thinking?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 06:21:41 am »
+1

That would be funny.  In that case, you should have been using my computer, what were you thinking?

Well, I was waiting outside your window for ages, but you never went out!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 06:22:27 am »

This.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 09:12:05 pm »

Quality 2: Entering thiscard into Google returns a top result that is related to Dominion.  I learned that many more Dominion cards are "things" than I realized.  l had no idea what a Silk Road was.  And I had never heard of silkroad.com.[/spoiler]

Isn't everything in Dominion a Thing?  Also, I believe there is not "a Silk Road".  Rather, there is the Silk Road.

And Google personalizes results based on many things, including geographic location.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 06:52:28 pm »

Quality 2: Entering thiscard into Google returns a top result that is related to Dominion.  I learned that many more Dominion cards are "things" than I realized.  l had no idea what a Silk Road was.  And I had never heard of silkroad.com.[/spoiler]

Isn't everything in Dominion a Thing?

Well, a few of them are only "things" in Dominion, like Young Witch, or Ruined Market.  As opposed to like, Magic, where you've got Moogly the Mud Monster and if you google Moogly the Mud Monster it will take you to a post about a Moogly the Mud Monster Magic Card.  There aren't a lot of Mooglies in Dominon, but there's a few!

And Google personalizes results based on many things, including geographic location.

So I've heard.  I'd be interested to see if that skews the results.  I could see the results being different if you're Googling from China.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 08:39:12 pm »

But a Young Witch is a Witch and a Witch is a Thing! ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.942 seconds with 21 queries.