Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Suggestion: Combo: Haggler/Quarry  (Read 4397 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Combo: Haggler/Quarry
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:33:39 pm »

Just had this thought (but don't feel like fleshing out a full article):

The problem with Haggler is you can't get VP with the second card.  If you buy a Grand Market, you can't pick up a Duchy.  Quarry allows you to get around that by making Actions cheaper, so you can buy the VP card instead.  Play Haggler, Quarry, needed Treasures, then buy a Duchy, Haggling a Grand Market.  This gets very nice with Border Village - Duchy/Border Village/Torturer, for instance.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Combo: Haggler/Quarry
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:09:27 pm »
+1

This gets very nice with Border Village - Duchy/Border Village/Torturer, for instance.

Or you could buy BV, gain Duchy from BV, and Haggle for Torturer, all without Quarry! ;)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:29:08 pm »

This gets very nice with Border Village - Duchy/Border Village/Torturer, for instance.

Or you could buy BV, gain Duchy from BV, and Haggle for Torturer, all without Quarry! ;)

That may require Gold, and Quarry is cheaper.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »
+1

If you could buy a Duchy with Haggler in play and gain a BV/Torturer, then if that Quarry had been a silver, you could have just bought a BV, gaining Duchy/Torturer.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »

I guess the suggested combo could be useful sometimes, but how often do you want to buy Duchies in order to gain actions? Early in the game and you don't want the green, later in the game you're less likely to get Haggler/Quarry together, and the benefit seems so marginal (the action you get may never be used). Probably the best place for this idea is a Duke board.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:38:58 pm »

I guess the suggested combo could be useful sometimes, but how often do you want to buy Duchies in order to gain actions? Early in the game and you don't want the green, later in the game you're less likely to get Haggler/Quarry together, and the benefit seems so marginal (the action you get may never be used). Probably the best place for this idea is a Duke board.

Ehh... Quarry-Haggler would let you buy a Duchy (maybe even Estate in some cases) and gain a more expensive Action.  But on a Duke board, what expensive actions do you really want?  It's probably better to buy Duchy/Duke as the main purchase and use Haggler for extra Silver or actions like HT.  Silver is much more valuable than Quarry on a Duke/Duchy board.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 06:44:27 pm »

Ehh... Quarry-Haggler would let you buy a Duchy (maybe even Estate in some cases) and gain a more expensive Action.  But on a Duke board, what expensive actions do you really want?  It's probably better to buy Duchy/Duke as the main purchase and use Haggler for extra Silver or actions like HT.  Silver is much more valuable than Quarry on a Duke/Duchy board.

I definitely agree with you, I was just trying to think of a situation where this might be useful. I guess the best partner actions for the Haggler/Duke/Quarry/X combo would be the Markets, Wharf, Goons, Festival, more Hagglers. There's probably some other nice ones as well. I'm not saying its good though, just that it might be okay sometimes, maybe.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:48:16 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 06:48:10 pm »

I definitely agree with you, I was just trying to think of a situation where this might be useful. I guess the best partner actions for the Haggler/Duke/Quarry/X combo would be the Markets, Wharf, Goons, more Hagglers. There's probably some other nice ones as well. I'm not saying its good though, just that it might be okay sometimes, maybe.

Those are probably better examples - they cost $5, so you wouldn't be able to Haggle them ordinarily.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 07:31:25 pm »

Haggler/Duke is definitely a combo even without Quarry, and I'm doubtful that a Quarry can actually help much if at all. You mostly want to be buying Duchies and gaining Silvers.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 11:32:59 pm »
+1

Quarry is kind of a weak card that doesn't really work even if it seems like an interaction is working for it.  I've fallen flat on my face trying to get quarry+buy to work at all many a time..

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 01:54:15 am »
+2

Quarry is kind of a weak card that doesn't really work even if it seems like an interaction is working for it.  I've fallen flat on my face trying to get quarry+buy to work at all many a time..
Quarry is great for building engines since you mostly want to buy action cards, and even without a +buy, Quarry acts like a Gold. Then throw in a +buy and it's like a Platinum.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 05:23:58 am »

Play Haggler, Quarry, needed Treasures, then buy a Duchy, Haggling a Grand Market.

Alternatively, play haggler, silver, needed treasures, then buy a province haggling a grand market. Silver is better at buying vp.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 06:00:20 am »

Play Haggler, Quarry, needed Treasures, then buy a Duchy, Haggling a Grand Market.

Alternatively, play haggler, silver, needed treasures, then buy a province haggling a grand market. Silver is better at buying vp.
*Rolls eyes*
Yeah, why not play Haggler, Platinum, needed treasures, buy Colony haggling a Grand Market.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 05:43:16 pm »

The place where this does work (somewhat) is with fairgrounds. Buy fairgrounds/gain any action (except peddler). The reason you like doing it this way over using silver is normally Kc, Gm, Expand, etc. If you are going to be buying a lot of fairgrounds (e.g. moderately slow engine needing to mass 6 VP fairgrounds) then you can keep building your engine (particularly if you have multiple hagglers in play). This also allows you to grab actions you currently do not own (e.g. expand, forge, adventurer, Bv) or to pile deplete some key 6 (e.g. Goons, Bv) while piling out the fairgrounds. It is a rare trick, but it can work.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.347 seconds with 21 queries.