Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Power Kingdom (Mountebank, Tournament, Swindler) snowballed  (Read 1417 times)

mgallop

• Baron
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile

So, just finished a really interesting (insanely powerful) kingdom:

Develop, Tunnel, Swindler Tournament SalvagerQuarry Mountebank Minion Saboteur

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/30/game-20120730-164901-8df0ef2d.html

Opponent opened Quarry/Swindler I opened Tournament/Swindler. I got early provinces and he didnt and I won pretty easily.

-My thoughts are that quarry, while guaranteeing you Mountebank by the first shuffle is a massive liability with tournament, since you want Gold and Provinces ASAP, and that my decision too ignore it is what won me the game.
-Opening buy: what's right? I liked Tournament as both something I needed to get and helping get to 5. Salvager is potentially useful, but potentially loses me the game by stopping me from getting a mountebank by the first shuffle.
-Develop: I got one, it sucked. Should I have just ignored trashing and powered through the slog? Gotten Salvagers over tournament at some point (though salvager is just as bad at getting rid of mountebank junk).
-How good is followers once curses are exhausted? I got it after Steed, but I'm not sure that was right, and think Bag of Gold might have been better to ensure I kept getting provinces.
-Minion: just awful, or useful as nonterminal silver + attack in this boaard? My thoughts are that your 4 card hand is liable to suck given the junking, and that nonterminal silver isnt worth it. I could be wrong.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: Power Kingdom (Mountebank, Tournament, Swindler) snowballed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:01:59 pm »

I screwed up.

I though Tourney is crap cause Swindler would swindle into other things + can swindler prices away. I didn't get nuff swindlers than. :(

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:18 pm »

Why would you want Tournament that early in the game, especially with cursers? Open Quarry/Silver and pick a bunch of Mountebanks and Tournants.
Edit: oh and Salvager.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »

-How good is followers once curses are exhausted? I got it after Steed, but I'm not sure that was right, and think Bag of Gold might have been better to ensure I kept getting provinces.

I'm not sure that Followers is a mistake at this point, but I think Bag of Gold or Princess would've been more beneficial. He had so many terminal actions that it seems like he would have trouble getting to 8 regardless of the reduction in hand size. I'm always looking for the +buy option personally, so I probably would've gone with the princess, although it probably wouldn't have mattered too much in this game as you probably weren't going to be getting double provinces very often.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.