Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Will Scout Ever Get Better?  (Read 9849 times)

PSUmvp

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: MVP
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Re: Will Scout Ever Get Better?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 04:35:00 pm »

The ability for scout to pick up victory cards just isnt that useful, as if chronicled in the posts above.  However the ability to look at and reorder the top 4 cards can be combined with several other cards to be quite useful.  I agree the card still isnt wonderful and is probably overpriced at 4, but it does turn $3 wishing wells into $5 Labs.  Combined with Scrying and Great hall benefits, there are some boards where Scout doesnt completely suck...  Of course without some of these very specific 5-6 enablers, scout is pretty much unbuyable.

PigFiend

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:01 am »

Lately I've been considering the abilities of an early Scout to set up a 5 Copper purchase (of Mint). I know I've tried this before and gotten unlucky with the fifth card being an Estate, but there's a narrow instance where Scout might set that up better than any other $4.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 03:32:26 pm »
+1

Lately I've been considering the abilities of an early Scout to set up a 5 Copper purchase (of Mint). I know I've tried this before and gotten unlucky with the fifth card being an Estate, but there's a narrow instance where Scout might set that up better than any other $4.

Smithy probably has a better chance.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 05:39:10 pm »
+1

I read the title of this thread "Will Scout Get Even Better?" and got seriously excited.

PigFiend

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 03:38:48 am »

Smithy probably has a better chance.
Probably roughly equal, but let's suppose Smithy isn't in the kingdom. And depending on what you want to do after buying Mint, Scout could be the better card to have; it's bound to hit 2-3 Estates at that point non-terminally. That'd suit Poor House better than a Smithy would.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
+1

There are plenty of ways to make Scout more useful by adding new cards to the Dominion card pool, and not all of those even need to be Victory cards. Maybe some card could be made that says, "Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If none of them are Victory cards, ..." or, "Any time a card is revealed, ..." However, the Dominion card pool is already so large that the chances of both Scout and any of these new cards ending up in any particular kingdom are too small to justify purposely adding cards to the pool to help Scout. It just wouldn't be worthwhile.

Oh, man, I totally wasn't going to say anything, but you've twisted my arm... here's a preview from my fan expansion:

Promised Land - $5 - Victory
1VP
If this is drawn into your hand as a result of playing a Scout, gain a Province.

;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.154 seconds with 21 queries.