Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Android App that allows veto mode?  (Read 4982 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Android App that allows veto mode?
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:24:29 am »
+1

Stupid Question: I have used a few different Android apps for selecting kingdoms that are all ok, but none of them will let you select more than 10 cards if I want to do veto mode. Is there such an app that will allow a kingdom of more than 10 cards to be selected?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Android App that allows veto mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:59 pm »

I've wondered the exact same thing.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:15:00 pm »

You could PM the creator of an app to ask for the same thing.

Alternative -- if you use the apps for convenience instead of to use restrictions, you could use the real life randomizers.  Dealing out two randomizer cards is easier than dealing out twelve.  If you're using veto mode, you probably don't have any major restrictions.  Or maybe it's OK if you don't have your restrictions applied to two extra cards.

You could randomize twice and then have a super-veto mode? :P

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »

That thing you just said about the randomizer cards is what I do right now, actually.

...OK, so what I really do is I use the app to generate a random kingdom, and then one guy I play with really hates Minion, so whenever we see Minion in a kingdom he asks to play veto mode and I select two cards from my deck of 100+ randomizer cards and hope they aren't the same as a card that's already there (if it was, I guess I would just pick another from the deck).

I'm looking for a more elegant solution; I'd also like to go back to using the randomizer cards as dividers, as I was very proud of the elegance of the way I store my cards and having to use the extra treasures from the Intrigue set for this purpose not only bothers my CDO, but it's not going to scale very well, since I'm almost out.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:25:59 pm »

Yeah, in that case, I'd just email some developers to see if they can add that functionality.  If they are decent programmers, it should be relatively simple to increase the number of cards from 10 to something arbitrary.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 04:29:14 pm »

Great news! I looked into the developer of the app (Dominion Shuffle by Joran Jessurun) and he said he's no longer to support it. From the way it sounded, he's probably not even going to add the Dark Ages cards :-(

Other Dominion apps out there aren't nearly as good, though. It's been several months since I checked, but things aren't looking so good. It's getting to the point where I'm looking into what it takes to make my own Android App (actually seems doable, since I develop software for a living). Do I want to go down that rabbit hole?

Toskk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »

Well, it's not an App, but I do have a web-based card picker program (it uses Javascript) available, and it *does* include a (blind) veto mode. I've also just added the first cards of Dark Ages to it (although no image support yet). If it would work, and you're interested, it can be found here:

http://inprogressgaming.com/dominion-card-picker/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:49:05 pm »

Great news! I looked into the developer of the app (Dominion Shuffle by Joran Jessurun) and he said he's no longer to support it. From the way it sounded, he's probably not even going to add the Dark Ages cards :-(

Other Dominion apps out there aren't nearly as good, though. It's been several months since I checked, but things aren't looking so good. It's getting to the point where I'm looking into what it takes to make my own Android App (actually seems doable, since I develop software for a living). Do I want to go down that rabbit hole?

For the rabbit hole -- if Mr(?) Jessurun is no longer supporting Dominion Shuffle, you could ask to see if he'd be willing to let you take over that project, or at least release his source code.  Of course, sometimes that is more painful than starting from scratch.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 05:16:17 pm »

Oh man, Dominion shuffle isn't gonna update?  That's lame.

There was a prettier shuffle program I had for a while:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/dominion-card-selector/com.bmsoftware.dominionselector

Maybe it will stay up to date.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:28:44 am »

Wow, that's a bummer.  That's easily the best app out there right now.  You should def see if he'll release his source code to you.  If you don't have time, let me have a crack at it.  I'm a software designer too.  I've never done mobile apps, but I've been meaning to learn about it.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 08:06:32 am »

To be responsible, here's my source for this information:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7992464#7992464

In the article, he mentions that he would be willing to give the source to someone else who would maintain the app, and he is OK with that person open-sourcing the code.

I spent a few hours last night trying to get the app developer tools set up on my home computer to no avail. I feel like I was really close to getting it to work, but I eventually got to the point where I gave up. I wasn't exactly hoping to develop something awesome and robust here, I was just gonna hack something together that none of you guys would probably want to use.

If I could see the source and it looked like something I could work with, AND if I could get a development environment set up (I might consider trying again on a free weekend), I might consider maintaining the app myself. I will not be offended if someone else wants to do it.

Perhaps we can link Mr. (I checked) Jessurun to this thread if we get enough people who like his app, and maybe he would consider releasing the source to us.

I shall check into this "Dominion Card Selector" since it looks like it has become free since I last checked for apps. Maybe this is the answer to our questions, since it seems like it's been updated recently.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 21 queries.