Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Showcase: <Gardens|Anti-Gardens> and Alchemy  (Read 765 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Showcase: <Gardens|Anti-Gardens> and Alchemy
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »
+2

I just played a pair of games against michaeljb, and thought the games were interesting (and close!) enough to post:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/29/game-20120729-141520-7e3c3e09.html
Bridge, Cellar, Conspirator, Gardens, Golem, Pawn, Spy, Trading Post, Vault, and Woodcutter

I'm not going to bold the "key cards" because everything but Spy, Vault, and Woodcutter were important!  There are (at least) two competing strategies here:  Gardens buildup using +Buys from Pawn and WC/Bridge, or a trim deck with an eye toward Conspirator, Golem, and Bridge.  With a 5/2 opening, I choose Trading Post, immediately choosing the latter.  Michael opens Bridge/Pawn, then grabs an extra Copper on Turn 3, signalling a Gardens rush.  I decide to grab a few Gardens, which speeds up his rush and slows down my deck, but significantly decreases the points he'll get.  I also know the Gardens aren't terribly important to me; I actually trash one to Trading Post!  I think that despite it slowing my deck, this was a key play; Michael would otherwise have gotten to near 60 points, and 48 points from Provinces wouldn't have done it for me.  A couple of takeaway points for mid-level players:
  • If you draw terminal-Conspirator with Golem, make sure to play the terminal first.
  • If you've decided not to go after Gardens, it's still a good idea not to let your opponent get all 8 of them.
  • Do not underestimate Pawn's +Buy.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/29/game-20120729-142756-22442f8c.html
Alchemist, Farming Village, Herbalist, Market, Merchant Ship, Noble Brigand, Scrying Pool, Stables, University, and Walled Village

This board is an Alchemy lover's dream, and directly displays the synergy between Scrying Pool, Alchemist, and Herbalist.  Filling your deck with actions, even without trimming, makes Pools amazing; drawing Alchemists and Stables with Pools just makes things that much more impressive, and can allow you to draw your deck.  There were two keys here, one on each side of the board, that kept us neck-and-neck:  Merchant Ships (Michael) and Double-Potion (Kirian).  Most simulators will tell you not to grab two Potions with Alchemists; on average it doesn't actually help your Alchemist stack (especially with Herbalist around).  But here, it allows me to buy two Pools, Alchemists, or Universities in one turn, and I do it several times.  However, Michael's opening Merchant Ship, and choice to continue buying Ships, gets him an early lead and more cash.  University, surprisingly, wins the game for me, as I'm able to gain Merchant Ships, then play them the same turn; otherwise I'd have fallen behind.  The only thing that could have made this game crazier would have been Vineyards.  Takeaway points for mid-level players:
  • The Alchemist-Herbalist combo was designed for the Alchemy set.  Learn it; use it.  But be sure to keep track of where you put your Potions.
  • If you can both gain cards and draw your deck, use the gainer early (if you have the actions) so you can draw that gained card.  University is made for this, as it brings its own actions.
  • Don't underestimate the importance of a small amount of diversity in an engine deck, even outside of Cornucopia.  Stables was an important draw card for both of us here, and Market got us both extra cash.

In both of these games, I think I got just a tiny bit luckier in the endgame, though certainly the games show that you can make your own luck to an extent.  Also, an interesting bit of craziness:  no Golds were purchased in either game, and only one Silver was purchased in the Alchemy game.  Money:  not always key!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Re: Showcase: <Gardens|Anti-Gardens> and Alchemy
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 06:30:05 pm »

I think I would buy no alchemist in the second one and try to get more universities.  Something like potion/herbalist (with 4/3 or 5/2), get about 4 unis, and then go to scrying pools.  Unis get merchant ships first, and a couple of markets for buy.  Whether you prefer sp or alchemist I like buying universities before your drawing cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.397 seconds with 21 queries.