Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan card logistics  (Read 2280 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Fan card logistics
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:47 pm »
+1

So, I'd kinda like to get into trying some of the cards here and testing some of my own, but I have some issues.  I only have one friend who plays Dominion, and we don't get together that often, and I'm not even sure he'd want to bother with variant cards or getting that many sleeves.  I would probably only be able to play fan cards with myself, which honestly would be fine with me, but I don't have the real cards, so I'm not sure of a good way to do so.

-Is there a program or something out there that would help me manipulate cards and handle the rules myself?  I'm thinking something like Apprentice, but that seems like it would work rather poorly with Dominion's mechanics, and I'm not sure how playing against myself would work.
-Is my next best bet just scribbling stuff on index cards or something?  I can't really afford to buy the real cards, and it would be kinda silly anyway since I only have the one friend who plays. (and he owns most of the sets)
-Are there any particularly well respected fan cards?  I assume Archivist and the mini-set winners would be good places to start, but anything else here particularly worthy of use?
-Any tips for playtesting?  Types of kingdoms I should be sure and hit?  Good "default" kingdoms to use?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Fan card logistics
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »
+2

Mostly, people just use substitute cards when they're playing. Like represent your card with Village (put some kind of token on it to remind you). It does depend how many cards you want to use, though. With just one fan card, Blanks work well - can't get those mixed up! With 4+, it can get confusing, but there's not much else you can use.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:19 am »

I would just write down what the card does on a seperate sheet of paper and use the blanks as the actual cards. That way I don't have to write on the blanks.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:50:00 am »
+1

Mostly, people just use substitute cards when they're playing. Like represent your card with Village (put some kind of token on it to remind you). It does depend how many cards you want to use, though. With just one fan card, Blanks work well - can't get those mixed up! With 4+, it can get confusing, but there's not much else you can use.

If you have a few sets of blanks, you can just write letters on them.  So put A on one set, B on a second set, and so on.  Then you just have to write down somewhere what A and B represent for any given Kingdom.  I think BGG still sells the double blank packs for shipping.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:00:18 am »

If you have a few sets of blanks, you can just write letters on them.  So put A on one set, B on a second set, and so on.  Then you just have to write down somewhere what A and B represent for any given Kingdom.  I think BGG still sells the double blank packs for shipping.

It's just single packs now, and with a limit of 1 per household.  Still, there are enough blanks in the official sets to come up with at least one, maybe two blank sets between them.

What I do is print out my custom artwork onto full-sheet transparent sticky labels, cut them out, and stick them onto the blank sets.  It's not perfect, but it works.  But you need lots of blanks like that.  Now that RGG has limited the sale of blanks, I'm thinking of buying a duplicate base set, printing out my custom artwork onto white sticky labels instead of transparent, and sticking it over the official cards.  But I don't know well that's going to work out yet.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:49 am »
+1

If you want to play online, many of the cards are online at kingdom.servegame.org (until it gets shut down for FS)
A man on a mission.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 01:43:35 pm »

I can't believe I didn't think of this.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:19:30 am »
+1

What I find is nice is, if you have things sleeved, just stick a piece of paper in front of the card front in the sleeve.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.787 seconds with 21 queries.