Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #13 - Coal  (Read 8203 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Clasic_Cards #13 - Coal
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 09:22:24 pm »

I don't see drawing them together second shuffle being that much of an advantage.  For example:
CoCoCEE/CCCCE is $4/$4
CoCCEE/CoCCCE is $3/$4

Oh, the first Coal you play can't gain value from trashing performed by the second Coal, can it. Like Bank... hmm.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:34 pm »

Why not just have it always worth $1? The value mechanic doesn't seem relevant that often.

And this is a strong card. As others have noted, it's better than Loan. I think it's also better than Lookout. (No sifting effect, but more control and +$1 when trashing an Estate.) It's not among the very best trashers, but it's above average.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 11:05:36 pm »

Why not just have it always worth $1? The value mechanic doesn't seem relevant that often.
A card needs something to make it unique. This one is light trashing that works with other trashing. It doesn't complicate the rules too much and it creates new strategic possibilities. I don't see a problem with a slight rule change to make this work. The same thing was done when Prosperity was released.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 11:25:37 pm »

I wouldn't say this is better than Loan.  Loan lets you play (up to) 4 other cards.  This lets you play (up to) 3 other cards.  Trashing from deck >> trashing from hand.  So yes you get more control, but... it is a drawback.
A man on a mission.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 01:15:36 am »
+1

I wouldn't say this is better than Loan.  Loan lets you play (up to) 4 other cards.  This lets you play (up to) 3 other cards.  Trashing from deck >> trashing from hand.  So yes you get more control, but... it is a drawback.
If you trash an Estate (which is typical in the early game), then you don't lose anything. Loan can't trash Estates at all, which is a huge drawback. Coal is a little worse for trashing Coppers early, true, but unlike Loan it won't hit better treasures later.

There may be some special cases where Loan is preferable, but I think I'd prefer this over Loan in nearly every kingdom, mainly because of Estate trashing.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 01:25:25 am »

A card needs something to make it unique. This one is light trashing that works with other trashing. It doesn't complicate the rules too much and it creates new strategic possibilities. I don't see a problem with a slight rule change to make this work. The same thing was done when Prosperity was released.
Fair enough, but how often do people go double Loan or double Lookout? (Don't get me wrong: it happens, but it's unusual.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:28:55 am by blueblimp »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.